2017 Stanley Cup Final NSH vs PIT

Brawndo

No, people are marveling at the loudest hockey arena we've heard in years.

That's bizarre criteria for how much people like hockey. Shoveling the driveway is what drives your interest in hockey?

They had 5x as many people hanging outside their arena to watch the game on the big board as we did when we were in the playoffs.

Well Buffalo and Nashville are comparables even though nashville has three times the population right? False equivalence. No shoveling my driveway has nothing to do with how i love hockey, playing it in the winter with friends and going to games plays a big part.

They'd be coming out just as much if it was freaking lacrosse, if lacrosse was a major US sport.

Shall we compare buffalo vs Nashville playoff tv nelson ratings the last few years? Given Nashville is so hockey crazed?

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

They're having a lot of fun right now is how I see it; no reason to begrudge them that.  It's not like it's become an international story for anyone except diehard hockey fans.  I don't see ESPN live in Nashville.

Well Buffalo and Nashville are comparables even though nashville has three times the population right? False equivalence. No shoveling my driveway has nothing to do with how i love hockey, playing it in the winter with friends and going to games plays a big part.

They'd be coming out just as much if it was freaking lacrosse, if lacrosse was a major US sport.

Who's equating what now? You seem to be saying that, in order to be considered hockey-crazy, a city's civilians must need to engage in unrelated winter activities. Since Buffalo's civilians do this and based off of your comments, I think you would call Buffalo a better hockey city than Nashville. And we'll talk percentages to account for population differences - 7.3% of the population of Nashville was present outside their arena compared to the typical 3.9% of Buffalo's population that would frequent our parties in the plaza during the playoffs. They are louder and more passionate while their games are going on than Buffalo fans have been in my lifetime. I think I even read a decibel measurement on hfboards for game 6 of last series that beat any measurement made in a hockey arena, though I'd have to double check to be sure. Even if not, it's up there with Edmonton in 06. I think it's well worth noting that a nontraditional hockey city is being absolutely f*cking awesome and making a series with relatively few storylines otherwise quite interesting. 

So the Titans must be renown for their massive, passionate fanbase, eh? If they'd come out for lacrosse then surely their NFL fans would be second to none? 

It seems like a fantastic hockey city to me, and we should strive to be more like them with every single facet of NHL franchise operation and existence.

I want to see how hockey crazed Nashville is years from now when they're in the basement of the West (all teams are eventually). Then we will see how much of a hockey city Nashville

Nashville has made the playoffs 10 times in the last 13 seasons. They're routinely putting out a competitive team. If Nashville is ever in the basement they won't be there long. May not be in a traditional hockey market, but they seem to have a strong fan base. Not a 15 minutes of fame going on.

Nashville has made the playoffs 10 times in the last 13 seasons. They're routinely putting out a competitive team. If Nashville is ever in the basement they won't be there long. May not be in a traditional hockey market, but they seem to have a strong fan base. Not a 15 minutes of fame going on.

Wow, is that stat really true?

Man, they just fly under my radar.

I remember everyone thinking Albany was one of the best ahl cities in the country in the mid 90s. Want to know why? We were winning. This year we lost our team due to low attendance.

Whatever, maybe I'm just cranky. Six years no playoffs will do that.

Who's equating what now? You seem to be saying that, in order to be considered hockey-crazy, a city's civilians must need to engage in unrelated winter activities. Since Buffalo's civilians do this and based off of your comments, I think you would call Buffalo a better hockey city than Nashville. And we'll talk percentages to account for population differences - 7.3% of the population of Nashville was present outside their arena compared to the typical 3.9% of Buffalo's population that would frequent our parties in the plaza during the playoffs. They are louder and more passionate while their games are going on than Buffalo fans have been in my lifetime. I think I even read a decibel measurement on hfboards for game 6 of last series that beat any measurement made in a hockey arena, though I'd have to double check to be sure. Even if not, it's up there with Edmonton in 06. I think it's well worth noting that a nontraditional hockey city is being absolutely f*cking awesome and making a series with relatively few storylines otherwise quite interesting.

So the Titans must be renown for their massive, passionate fanbase, eh? If they'd come out for lacrosse then surely their NFL fans would be second to none?

It seems like a fantastic hockey city to me, and we should strive to be more like them with every single facet of NHL franchise operation and existence.

Are the titans as sucsesfull as the predators... yeah um no. And pretty sure their decibel reading is helped by acoustics. I guess hockey in the US is hockey in the US but it annoys me. I'll continue to complain about it.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Are the titans as sucsesfull as the predators... yeah um no. And pretty sure their decibel reading is helped by acoustics. I guess hockey in the US is hockey in the US but it annoys me. I'll continue to complain about it.

But in 2012-13, Nashville's attendance relative to building capacity was 100% despite the team finishing 4th last in the NHL. They have a firmly established fanbase now that comes to games no matter what, after taking some time to build up to that point. They are now league-renown for being one of the best fanbases out there. This has never come close to being true with the Titans, not last season when they narrowly missed the playoffs or during their Super Bowl run. Because of this, I don't buy your point that the fans in Nashville would come together the way they have regardless of the sport. They themselves have made the NHL games in their city an otherworldly experience. They love the game of hockey and show it far better than any fan base around here. 

Anyone see Deadspin's compilation of the PK Subban bad breath "beef" with Crosby?

http://deadspin.com/p-k-subbans-bad-breath-is-the-best-kind-of-distraction-1795813170

Just outstanding.

PK is easily, it's not even close, my favourite non-Sabre player in the NHL. And maybe in all of sport?

Anyone see Deadspin's compilation of the PK Subban bad breath "beef" with Crosby?

http://deadspin.com/p-k-subbans-bad-breath-is-the-best-kind-of-distraction-1795813170

Just outstanding.

PK is easily, it's not even close, my favourite non-Sabre player in the NHL. And maybe in all of sport?

My favorite part mentioned in there was Pekka Rinne, I remember him being like "oh yeah he's a great guy, he flosses and everything", the last bit thrown in there was gold 

But in 2012-13, Nashville's attendance relative to building capacity was 100% despite the team finishing 4th last in the NHL. They have a firmly established fanbase now that comes to games no matter what, after taking some time to build up to that point. They are now league-renown for being one of the best fanbases out there. This has never come close to being true with the Titans, not last season when they narrowly missed the playoffs or during their Super Bowl run. Because of this, I don't buy your point that the fans in Nashville would come together the way they have regardless of the sport. They themselves have made the NHL games in their city an otherworldly experience. They love the game of hockey and show it far better than any fan base around here. 

One of Mrs. Racer's good friends married and nice gentlemen from Nashville and she loves it there and we love visiting them.

When talking with him, the region is more into college sports and the Titans are second fiddle to that. The Nashville fan base seems to have brought the college game day enthusiasm to the NHL. The NHL should be so lucky in Vegas.

Edited by Woods-Racer

My favorite part mentioned in there was Pekka Rinne, I remember him being like "oh yeah he's a great guy, he flosses and everything", the last bit thrown in there was gold 

Hahaha - YES!

I respect the hell out of Crosby, but, lord, what a wet blanket. If he'd just smirked in disapproval when he said "nah - that's not true - he's just making that up", that'd be one thing. But then he has to go on about how this shows that PK's an attention seeker or whatever. Just an unflattering look, Sid.  

Hahaha - YES!

I respect the hell out of Crosby, but, lord, what a wet blanket. If he'd just smirked in disapproval when he said "nah - that's not true - he's just making that up", that'd be one thing. But then he has to go on about how this shows that PK's an attention seeker or whatever. Just an unflattering look, Sid.

It's not his first unflattering look 

Sidney_Crosby.jpgsidney_crosby_bad_beards.jpg

Hahaha - YES!

Phfff. This is a hilarious story. Adding intrigue to what us usually a vanilla final. It's nice to have a bit of pg-trash talk once in a while, adds some personality. Enough with the cliches. Did you see what Subban was carrying to the rink today?

A bag full of Listerine bottles. This is funny stuff.

Phfff. This is a hilarious story. Adding intrigue to what us usually a vanilla final. It's nice to have a bit of pg-trash talk once in a while, adds some personality. Enough with the cliches. Did you see what Subban was carrying to the rink today?

A bag full of Listerine bottles. This is funny stuff.

Yep. PK and other personalities like him (maybe even Jack someday - he's so much more funny and real than Machine McDavid) may just yet drag this league into the 21st century, the dinosaurs kicking and screaming the whole time. 

Listerine won't turn people into casual fans, but the Listerine culture has potential to. 

One last thing (for today at least) has the hockey crazed Nashville fan base ever had better than 20th in regular season attendance? After all, if they love hockey so much, and us Sabres fans have so much to learn from them as a fan base, surely they must have better attendance records than us?

Hate to be that guy but apparently someone has to. They are front runners.

Yes, because you're using raw attendance figures I'd imagine. Their barn doesn't hold as many people as other ones do. If measure by sold out tickets and arena capacity, they are regularly between 97 and 100% and certainly crack the top 20. They were 8th in the league in this regard this past season. We were 21st.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Yes, because you're using raw attendance figures I'd imagine. Their barn doesn't hold as many people as other ones do. If measure by sold out tickets and arena capacity, they are regularly between 97 and 100% and certainly crack the top 20. They were 8th in the league in this regard this past season. We were 21st.

Ugh darnit I just realized that after posting, scrambled to delete it but you replied back quick enough. Lol whatever I'm an anti-nashville grump; I suppose it's pure emotion at this point.

Yep. PK and other personalities like him (maybe even Jack someday - he's so much more funny and real than Machine McDavid) may just yet drag this league into the 21st century, the dinosaurs kicking and screaming the whole time. 

Listerine won't turn people into casual fans, but the Listerine culture has potential to.

Ya. I mean, people criticized the NFL for being the "No Fun League" and compared to the NHL it was a fun house. Any sort of rare personality we get to see, like this, I'm all for. Sid is right. PK does like the attention. It's part of why I find Subban so likeable. He embraces the spotlight and allows himself to shine.

Walking in to the arena in front of a bunch of reporters with a bag full of listerine bottles is just the latest engaging example.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.