Jack Eichel's new contract; what's he worth?

LGR4GM

I'm 95% positive the cap is static this year. It was one of the bigger reasons for a bad trade deadline. That, and the expansion of course

I thought I read that somewhere too, but it looks like it could increase...

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/3/8/14854816/nhl-salary-cap-projection-2017-18-season

"The NHL salary cap is projected to rise $2.5-3 million for the 2017-18 season, reports Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston. That comes straight from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who said that the final number will depend on negotiations with the NHLPA over the inflator clause.   With a current salary cap of $73 million, the new number for next season should fall around $75.5-76 million."

Some good comparables in McKinnon, Gaudreau, Ekblad that should make sense.

Jack will get more than all of them. He has that clout and that's the way Terry rolls.

So, do you pay him now or later?   Are you really saving any money by signing him now?  Or let him play out his ELC... or sign him part way through the season to keep his cap # down?    

So, do you pay him now or later?   Are you really saving any money by signing him now?  Or let him play out his ELC... or sign him part way through the season to keep his cap # down?    

How does paying him part way through the season keep his cap number down?  If he signs an extension in July, it doesn't mean that he doesn't play out his ELC.

So, do you pay him now or later? Are you really saving any money by signing him now? Or let him play out his ELC... or sign him part way through the season to keep his cap # down?

I would think that mathmaticly the most advantageous would be to sign him after his full three year ELC. As our franchise player though, we should extend him asap as a sign of good faith.

How does paying him part way through the season keep his cap number down?  If he signs an extension in July, it doesn't mean that he doesn't play out his ELC.

make sure he doesn't get injured again.... if he does...  i don't offer as much.

Whatever the deal is I really want a lot of incentives in there.  Based solely on playoff performance.

:huh:

After ELC is done bonuses are no-no's (except in VERY limited circumstances). Whatever he signs for is what he's getting paid. Hopefully on an 8 year deal.

Is there any sort of market suppression on first contracts off of the ELC? I feel like all the high $ contracts come from UFA players when they hit the free agency market and 30 teams can all bid for their services.

RFA's aren't that crazy since they are still (mostly) under team control. That's why we were comparing to Gudreaux and Ekblad. 

EDIT: Typed fast and wasn't even close on Gaudreau's name

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Is there any sort of market suppression on first contracts off of the ELC? I feel like all the high $ contracts come from UFA players when they hit the free agency market and 30 teams can all bid for their services.

RFA's aren't that crazy since they are still (mostly) under team control. That's why we were comparing to Gudreaux and Ekblad.

EDIT: Typed fast and wasn't even close on Gaudreau's name

Absolutely. And it's just the way the teams want it. Franky, I think part of the next lockout is going to be the owners wanting to prevent the 6-8 year deals we've been seeing right off the ELC.

EDIT: Typed fast and wasn't even close on Gaudreau's name

Any dollar suppression in his contract would have to be offset by a shorter term. The only way he'd sign for less is if the contract is shorter and he has another chance to cash in down the road while he's still in his prime. I'd rather not take that risk.

Edited by Drunkard

There's a gentlemen's agreement in the league not to poach other team's RFAs.

That said, it's not mandatory for the RFA to sign whatever he is offered.    Like Trouba last season, he held out and his name came up in trade talks, but he eventually signed.   

One other thing... the league is getting younger and faster, which makes draft picks more valuable than they were 10 years ago.     So you don't see many offer sheets because of the compensation.  

There's a gentlemen's agreement in the league not to poach other team's RFAs.

That said, it's not mandatory for the RFA to sign whatever he is offered.    Like Trouba last season, he held out and his name came up in trade talks, but he eventually signed.   

One other thing... the league is getting younger and faster, which makes draft picks more valuable than they were 10 years ago.     So you don't see many offer sheets because of the compensation.  

Which reminds me - we should have taken the four 1sts for Vanek when we had the chance.

Which reminds me - we should have taken the four 1sts for Vanek when we had the chance.

ha And the constant reminder Darcy most likely kept Vanek due to the loss of Drury and Briere. 

I agree w/ Randall Flagg.  8x8 is a legit deal.  Fair for Eichel and the Sabres.  It's a discount in the long run.  The talks will be interesting and hopefully short.  

In an interview shortly after the Pats won the SuperBowl, Jack mentioned he likes the Patriot Way. When asked to expand on it, he mentioned Brady taking less money to allow the team to sign other players to remain competitive. Will Jack follow along this line of thinking?

I think Jack becomes the highest paid player in Sabres History with an 8 year/8.0-8.5 Million AAV deal

• 1 month later...

Dreger thinks Jack's next deal could be in the 8mil range so there's that

That type of deal certainly doesn't cripple us from fielding a competitive team. If we get that rate long term that could be the biggest steal in NHL if Eichel continues to progress on his current trajectory.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.