2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

Always two there are.

Except for the grand ole days of The Old Republic.

Well Darth and a Sith like my lineup.

I have joined the Dark Side

Its a trap!!!

They'll betray you, in the end.

Most likely.

something something dark side. Something something complete

Love this line, but I forget is it from Family Guy or Robot Chicken?

Some trailers can be a burden to tow around.

I wish someone would take him.

Several people are gaga about getting Vanek.  Honestly, I don't see why Matty Mo can't fill that role.  This video of all of Vanek's goals last season is cued up to show one of his goals off the rush.  He's hanging back and ends up wide open in front.  Matty is capable of this kind of play; he just needs to put into the right system.  Speed is *not* part of Vanek's game.  Matty Mo can do that.

Edited by Doohickie

something something dark side. Something something complete

Love this line, but I forget is it from Family Guy or Robot Chicken?

It's the utter disdain and scenery-chewing for what he speaks that makes him great. It's your battle station, Emperor, why do you hate it so much? Because it sounds better when you spit out, "battle station."

Several people are gaga about getting Vanek.  Honestly, I don't see why Matty Mo can't fill that role.

The Moulson can play that role. The gaga folk know Vanek is better in the shootout though and is a better redemption story. He would also deflect a few more in and generally give us 10 or so more goals in the same role over the course of a season.

But they're playing the same role, and there's already one (currently immovable contract) on the roster. If we could trade Moulson for Vanek --- if only Vanek played on Minnesota we could have done it --- I think most people would.

The Moulson can play that role. The gaga folk know Vanek is better in the shootout though and is a better redemption story. He would also deflect a few more in and generally give us 10 or so more goals in the same role over the course of a season.

But they're playing the same role, and there's already one (currently immovable contract) on the roster. If we could trade Moulson for Vanek --- if only Vanek played on Minnesota we could have done it --- I think most people would.

Yep.

I think you might see another veteran winger - Gionta, or a similar level player - added, but otherwise JBot is pretty much done with stocking the big club.

The questions are now more about how Housley is going to implement his roster:

1) two scoring lines, a shutdown line and an energy line or three balanced lines and a line of role players?

2) if he uses a shutdown line to matchup against Crosby, Barkov, Stamkos, Matthews etc., who centres it, Larsson or O'Reilly?

3) if he stacks two lines would he consider combining Eichel and O'Reilly (faceoffs, d-zone centre)?

4) does Matt Moulson come into training camp pencilled in to a top-six left wing slot?

5) what position will Sam Reinhart play?

6) are Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons top nine forwards and at what position?

7) which Rochester winger has the inside track at the apparent opening with the big club and will it be in the top nine?

8) is Scandella/Ristolainen the ironclad number one pair, or will he try to balance things out to give Risto a break?

9) who of Antipin/Bogosian/Beaulieu/McCabe emerges as the go-to 3/4?

10) will Josh Gorges have a role on this team?

11) will we mess with our PP to create a better second unit and utilize our new D?

12) who kills penalties?

13) is Lehner cemented as the number one, or will Johnson get every opportunity to unseat him?

I think you might see another veteran winger - Gionta, or a similar level player - added, but otherwise JBot is pretty much done with stocking the big club.

1) two scoring lines, a shutdown line and an energy line or three balanced lines and a line of role players?

2) if he uses a shutdown line to matchup against Crosby, Barkov, Stamkos, Matthews etc., who centres it, Larsson or O'Reilly?

3) if he stacks two lines would he consider combining Eichel and O'Reilly (faceoffs, d-zone centre)?

4) does Matt Moulson come into training camp pencilled in to a top-six left wing slot?

6) are Johan Larsson and Zemgus Girgensons top nine forwards and at what position?

7) which Rochester winger has the inside track at the apparent opening with the big club and will it be in the top nine?

8) is Scandella/Ristolainen the ironclad number one pair, or will he try to balance things out to give Risto a break?

11) will we mess with our PP to create a better second unit and utilize our new D?

12) who kills penalties?

13) is Lehner cemented as the number one, or will Johnson get every opportunity to unseat him?

1 - LT 3 ~balanced lines normally but going to 2 & 2 when necessary. Right now, normally 2 & 2 but 3 balanced lines when they can get away w/ it.

2 - He doesn't have the horses for a true Steve Kasper type shut down line. When Sabres are "home" O'Reilly's line plays the other team's top line. When on the road 3rd line (Larsson's most likely, possibly Reinhart's) finds itself matched up on faceoffs.

3 - I would.

4 - Dear Lord, please no. But he could play his way there. (Just threw up in my mouth a bit.)

5 - Typically Eichel's RW. W/ some 3C thrown in.

6 - Good F'n question. When both are locked on the 4th line, this team is going places. Larsson's top is 3C. Girgensons could slot as 4C or literally any LW this year. If he gets a shot w/ Eichel, hopes he finds his inner LeClair. ;)

7 - No clue. Yes.

8 - Would expect that to be #1 pairing. But would be surprised if Ristolainen plays more than 24 minutes. & hopefully 3-6 is good enough to let him average ~22.5.

9 - Best guess because it actually wasn't a tire fire under Goober - McCabe - Bogosian. Put Bogo w/ either other guy & be prepared for Bogo- Kulikov (shudders).

10 - 7D (except for the road trip Bogo breaks himself, then he's a 6).

11 - No data. Hopefully if they do it's only to put Moulson (why the #### is he not in Ra-cha-cha?!?) on PP1 & give Reinhart lead on PP2. Would rather not mess w/ what works.

12- Risto, Snooky, ???, ???.

13 - The latter, but he won't.

12) who kills penalties?

How about starting top questions for training camp thread. I think you captured most of them here.

I think zemgus is a wing going forward

I think one of the most interesting roster battles will be for 3C between Zemgus and Larsson.  One of them is going to be a LW and it will be interesting to see which one it is.

I think one of the most interesting roster battles will be for 3C between Zemgus and Larsson.  One of them is going to be a LW and it will be interesting to see which one it is.

You're probably right, but it's also quite possible that one of them is #3 center and the other is #4 center.

Sometimes it's tough to remember that old draft truism: we'll see what we have in five years.

It's been five years for Larsson and Girgensons.

I think Larsson found his space last year - agitating, positionally sound bottom six centre.

It's just a matter of seeing how well he shines in that role.

Zemgus has yet to carve his space. He was the prospect most messed up by the tank and is at a crossroads.

Had he had a normal development curve, he'd probably be entering his second full NHL season right now, full of promise after two years of college and two in Rochester.

I think he has the skill set to succeed as the type of full-tilt winger Botterill and Housley want.

Given our left wing situation, he would be my choice to start on Jack's flank.

I hope his head is in a space where he recognizes the opportunity and takes advantage.

But I suspect he may be fed up with Buffalo and looking for a move.

The fact he did not apply for arbitration may indicate he is reluctant to be tied down.

I'll be watching that situation closely.

Edited by dudacek

Larsson, Josefson, Girgensons. 2 centre spots available. Loser goes to LW.

Josefson may go to Roc if he loses that competition, init?

Or the pressbox I guess......

Edited by We've

With the exception of Jake McCabe, it's been a long time since the Sabres have had a "normal" rookie - a guy who finished his amateur career, apprenticed and showed clear improvement in the minors, then made the big squad and stuck.

Our depth has been rebuilt to the point where that should start becoming normal again and it should start this year.

Baptiste, Fasching and Bailey are all entering the final year of their entry level deals. They all have NHL size and skating. Even under Botterill's philosophy of patience, this "should" be the year they arrive.

Is it too much to project one or more of them to be useful regulars in Buffalo this year?

Edited by dudacek

Is it too much to project one or more of them to be useful regulars in Buffalo this year?

They definitely will have more competition to beat this year.  Moulson's spot is an obvious one.  Will be curious to see how they deal with that.  Does Phil want the veteran presence or the up and comer?  But other than Moulson's spot, what forward roster spots are vulnerable?  They may all be injury call ups this season.

And Deslaurier.  His seat in the press box could be up for grabs......

Edited by We've

There are only 4 forwards who are already slotted. Eichel and ROR are the top 2 centers, Kane is a top 2 LW and Okposo a top 2 RW.

After that everyone else has a question mark. For example: Will Sam play top 2 RW or 3rd center?

This is the most important decision in camp. If Phil and Jbot want 3 scoring lines and Sam is slotted as the 3rd center, then that throws RW into a huge competition between Pommers, Baptiste and Fasching plus Griffith and maybe others. Center is then reduced to Josefson, Larsson and Girgensons and Erod fighting for one slot. It also changes the LW possibilities. The losers of the center battle sre likely added to Pouliot and Bailey competing for 3 slots.

This might be most interesting camp to see who ends up where. I think there will be some real surrpises.

I think one of the most interesting roster battles will be for 3C between Zemgus and Larsson. One of them is going to be a LW and it will be interesting to see which one it is.

I don't think so. Larsson is a center. Zemgus is not.

Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo, Kane, O'Reilly, Pominville are locks.

Pouliot, Girgensons, Larsson and Josefsson should be regulars, but are vulnerable in terms of roles.

Moulson and Deslauriers appear to be bubble players.

They will carry at least 13 forwards, so as it stands, at least one young forward is making the team.

And given the makeup of the veterans, that forward could be slotted virtually anywhere.

I suspect this is deliberate.

Edited by dudacek

Eichel, Reinhart, Okposo, Kane, O'Reilly, Pominville are locks.

Pouliot, Girgensons, Larsson and Josefsson should be regulars, but are vulnerable in terms of roles.

Moulson and Deslauriers appear to be bubble players.

They will carry at least 13 forwards, so as it stands, at least one young forward is making the team.

And given the makeup of the veterans, that forward could be slotted virtually anywhere.

I suspect this is deliberate.

I honestly don't think Larsson is questionable.  He's as solid a PK, puck possession, defensive forward as this team as had.  Girgensons, Pouliot, Josefsson I agree with.  Deslauriers probably will be waived in favor of someone like Nylander, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey.

I think Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, Nylander and Guhle all play the vast majority of the season in Rochester. They want a winner there, and those 5 should be leaders on that team, let them grow together and learn how to win together.