2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 2

WildCard

Didn't think I could have as much hate for another NHL team as I do towards Boston and Toronto. Congrats Pittsburgh, you just made the list. Now Edmonton is coming close to making it a four team wolf pack.

And the Bills draft trade down really made the night wonderful. At least the Yankees shut down the lifeless Red Sox again.

My son went to a couple of Ottawa games this past year with friends (one versus the Sabres, the other against Washington) and he says that th e building is out ion the middle of nowhere, parking is a joke and getting in and out of the area is pathetic.Still cannot believe that it could not sell out for round 2 of the playoffs...imagine if the Sabres ever got to a round 2 these days???? tickets would be a precious item. actually at most arenas they would be 

Can you say "overpriced product?" ;)

According to the article, there was a shakeup in the business department due to poor attendance. Seems that somebody setting prices overvalued the product & somebodies lost their jobs because of it. Would be interesting to know if the correct somebodies were punted. My guess is probably not.

But the team not selling out 2nd round isn't that shocking. If they sell their playoff tix like the Sabres have done historically, STH's have to buy the 1st 2 rounds together before matchups or dates & known & on more than 1 occassion before it was even known for certain the team would be in the playoffs. I know a lot of Sabres' STH's that have skipped buying rounds 1&2 on occassion. Wouldn't be surprised if the Otters STH's only bought at 80-90% clip. If that was the case, would leave a lot of tix to be bought individualy.

Knowing window prices are even greater than ST inflated playoff prices, I could see where there'd be empty seats I the 2nd round against a team w/ a better record.

Detroit has had trouble moving seats in round 1 this past decade. (Not sure if that carried into the 2nd round when they've been there.)

IF the Otters make it through to the winner of the Pen Caps series, would be very surprised if tgere were still empty seats. Playoff fever is usually pretty high by then & fan irrationality increases exponentially.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/insiders-weigh-empty-seat-issue-senators-rangers-opener/

The Ottawa Senators may have beaten the New York Rangers 2-1 on Thursday night, but much of the talk coming away from the game concerned all of the empty seats at the Canadian Tire Centre.

The announced crowd of 16,744 – official capacity is listed at 18,572, but is actually higher – enjoyed the 2-1 win to open this second-round series, but having thousands of empty seats was not a good look for the region.

“The thing is, we’re snobs, right?” asked NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman rhetorically during a Friday morning appearance on Toronto’s Sportsnet 590. “In Canada we think we’re like the hockey people and don’t talk to us about our sport.

“If that had happened in Arizona or Carolina or anywhere, you name it, we’d be killing them. We would absolutely be killing them.

“I remember when I went up to Ottawa  a few years ago – when Dany Heatley was traded from the Senators to San Jose, I went to the first game back. There were a lot of empty seats that night too, I think they were also a couple of thousand short of a sellout. And I remember tweeting out that same thing. ‘If this was Arizona, we’d be killing them.’

“And people from Ottawa were coming back at me, ‘Well, have you ever sat in traffic to get out to that game.’ And the traffic out there is bad in rush hour.

“Or, ‘Those of us on the east side, the arena is in a terrible place.’

“Like, all of that is true, but still – if that was a U.S. team that did that, especially one of the Sun Belt teams or something – we’d be killing them. So we’ve got to take the heat.

“This is why the downtown arena is important to them and they have to get it done, but it’s disappointing. There is no other way to say it. We like to talk about ourselves as the hotbed of hockey, and not to have a playoff game sold out – we’re going to take abuse from U.S. hockey fans that think we’re a bunch of snobby jerks, and we have to take every bullet that they throw at us.”
Edited by WildCard

This ones on the Sens idiot owner. He charges 30$ to park on top of the ticket price. If you charged for parking at a shopping mall people would shop elsewhere. Thats one thing he's done to drive fans away.

He needs the money to support his degenerate gambling.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.