• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Dubas at the Sloan Analytics Conference a few years back.

Sheldon Keefe was his coach in The Soo.

True and Wild, I strongly advise you watch this with your pants off and plenty of towels near by

I think I need a new...office. Yup, this whole thing is unsalvagable.

I may have to change my vote to Dubas. Get the boy genius! My new GM power rankings:

Dubas > Fenton = Brisebois.

Dubas at the Sloan Analytics Conference a few years back.

Sheldon Keefe was his coach in The Soo.

True and Wild, I strongly advise you watch this with your pants off and plenty of towels near by

The disdain he has for keep it simple.

How many times did we hear the Sabres say as things fell apart that to get back on track they just had to "keep it simple."

And how well did that work?

I am so sick of playing not to lose. Release the hounds!

How many times did we hear the Sabres say as things fell apart that to get back on track they just had to "keep it simple."

Loved it

That piece was filmed so poorly though. I wanted to see his diagrams and charts

Crap now I have to watch this now that True and Duda have give thumbs up... imo the Sabres need a combo, someone versitile in analytics but not too "autistic" (not just a numbers guy who can figure out intangibles of human relationships and can communicate). IMO it takes both. Not comfortable using term autistic maybe "geeky???"

Crap now I have to watch this now that True and Duda have give thumbs up... imo the Sabres need a combo, someone versitile in analytics but not too "autistic" (not just a numbers guy who can figure out intangibles of human relationships and can communicate). IMO it takes both. Not comfortable using term autistic maybe "geeky???"

There are members on here who have children with autism 

I don't get the plane stuff. Didn't we already establish that the Pegula's don't have their own plane? 

"Don't have," as in they don't own one?

Or, "don't have," as in they don't have a deal with an executive airshare service that gives them regular and unfettered access to a specific aircraft or two?

Correct, and in fact the name of the service is Executive Airshare.

There are members on here who have autism themselves.  (I am not saying this to be desultory.  I happen to know it for a fact.)

Correct, and in fact the name of the service is Executive Airshare.

There are members on here who have autism themselves.  (I am not saying this to be desultory.  I happen to know it for a fact.)

And as such, we should refrain from stigmatization those with autism as being bad in some way. They are just different and that's perfectly okay. 

Release the hounds!!!

I mean, I have to right? But never mind the hounds... 

Good read on Dubas, starts with questioning if he has enough experience for our GM job; article also has a ton of links on Dubas' thoughts on prospect development, other philosophies of his, and the Sabres GM candidates in general 

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/4/24/15400140/does-kyle-dubas-have-experience-the-buffalo-sabres-general-manager-search-toronto-maple-leafs-news

My first choice is still Fenton, but I wouldn't be opposed to Treliving, Botterill or Brisebois, with Dubas as a dark horse analytics candidate. I don't think he has enough experience for Terry to trust he can run the show and communicate/run an effective front office.

I'm rooting for the Nashville takeover with Fenton GM / Housley HC combo. Plus Fenton really wanted to be our GM back in 2013, so I would assume the interest is still there.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/predators-paul-fenton-very-interested-in-sabres-gm-job

That is a really good read. That was 4 years ago, and back then he sounded pissed he hasn't been given a GM chance yet. Not sure you're going to find a dude who wants this job more than him, and who will work harder with it. Fenton would be an A+ hire in my book, I wonder why he hasn't gotten a GM job yet

@john_wawrow

Kim Pegula says have already put a lot of work into search this week and expects it to continue on next week.
#SabresSearch

Well, looks like this thread is going to live on for awhile longer
Edited by WildCard

That is a really good read. That was 4 years ago, and back then he sounded pissed he hasn't been given a GM chance yet. Not sure you're going to find a dude who wants this job more than him, and who will work harder with it. Fenton would be an A+ hire in my book, I wonder why he hasn't gotten a GM job yet

Because the NHL has an annoying habit of valuing experience so much that they devalue everything else. Think about how many coaches and GM's go from team to team to team all because they had one good season or one good team or just because they have 5 years of GM experience. It is ridiculous. If NHL front offices and owners were actually intelligent you wouldn't see teams hiring the Dan Bylsma's of the NHL. 

Fenton comes with the fire

“Quite honestly, I would have hoped that an opportunity would have presented itself and I feel like I’ve been prepared,” Fenton said. “Twenty-one years outside of playing, being involved with professional hockey for 30-plus years, running pro sides, running amateur sides, running player personnel things, being general manager of the American League team and probably being the guy who has had the most influence on any player personnel decision that we make in our organization from the beginning.”

Fenton also spent five years with the Anaheim Ducks, helping to facilitate the trade that brought Teemu Selanne to the organization. With the Predators, he has been at the helm for a number of drafts that have produced players for the organization, including the 2003 draft that produced defensemen Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, Kevin Klein and Alexander Sulzer. It is recognized as one of the best, if not the best, group of defensemen ever produced in one draft.
Not surprisingly, Fenton is proud of his accomplishments. It’s just a little unique to hear someone be so confident in himself.

“I’m hoping (his experience) leads to somebody else seeing that I’ve been able to help build this team from the bottom,” he said. “I helped build Anaheim from the bottom. I’ve broken down this team when ownership declared that they were going to sell the team and move and then built it back up to hopefully a contender. I believe that I’m ready and I hope that somebody else does.”

“There’s nothing that I haven’t done in this business to say that I’m not ready to be a manager,” Fenton said. “I make decisions. I have been put on the spot to make decisions on everything from free agency to drafts to trades to any type of acquisition. I live it every day, so for me I think it’s a natural progression.”

Because the NHL has an annoying habit of valuing experience so much that they devalue everything else. Think about how many coaches and GM's go from team to team to team all because they had one good season or one good team or just because they have 5 years of GM experience. It is ridiculous. If NHL front offices and owners were actually intelligent you wouldn't see teams hiring the Dan Bylsma's of the NHL. 

Not sure about that. There are a ton of AGM's hired around with no GM experience, and same with coaches. Fenton has all the experience in the world; maybe he's simply just overlooked 

@john_wawrow

Kim Pegula says have already put a lot of work into search this week and expects it to continue on next week.
#SabresSearch

Well, looks like this thread is going to live on for awhile longer

To me he checks both the 'experience' box in that he has been in hockey for 25+ years and assistant GM for a while, as well as the 'young/progressive' box that will bring some new ideas to the organization. The fact that he was interested in the job when we hired Murray gives me added enthusiasm that he would want the job and be dedicated to making the Sabres a winner.

Not sure about that. There are a ton of AGM's hired around with no GM experience, and same with coaches. Fenton has all the experience in the world; maybe he's simply just overlooked 

I think Liger is saying that despite some AGM's being promoted or poached, there are still tons of seemingly average re-treads that get hired every 3-5 years. Heck, even guys like Mike Gillis who was a tire-fire in Vancouver has been linked, as well as Brian Burke who couldn't leave Toronto fast enough.

It's convenient and easy for owners to see that someone has done the job before and hire them for their vacancy, regardless of how good they were at said role.

Which is why I hesitated and ps I have a non autistic special needs child who has lots of autistic friends. Should have have chosen another term, maybe myopic focus on stats. I was an econ stats guys in college. That being said sorry if I offended anyone.

Just watched the video. Seems like he tries to analyze limits on simplicity vs creativity and what are acceptable risks of creative plays v the statistical dangers of playing it safe. Makes sense too me and I like it. May have join you wild on this guy

I think Liger is saying that despite some AGM's being promoted or poached, there are still tons of seemingly average re-treads that get hired every 3-5 years. Heck, even guys like Mike Gillis who was a tire-fire in Vancouver has been linked, as well as Brian Burke who couldn't leave Toronto fast enough.

It's convenient and easy for owners to see that someone has done the job before and hire them for their vacancy, regardless of how good they were at said role.

Yup. Instead of getting that assistant GM with tons of experience you would rather get a failed GM because he has actual GM experience, it is so dumb. 

I am all aboard the Fenton trade to Stanelyville