Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

I argued for months that fundamental problem with the Sabres was the roster, both in construction and cost. 81 mill (in actual $ spent) for the 5th worst team in the NHL is unacceptable. Obviously TP agreed. GMTM was given a clean slate. A team with tons of assets, no spending limits and no cap concerns. He was allowed to hire anyone he wanted, including Uncle Terry. In fact he was given so much rope he hung himself with it.

TP asked himself if the guy who screwed it up had the ability to fix it. He came to the conclusion that he wasn't comfortable with TM fixing the mess he made and therefore he was sent packing. TP understood that a new GM would want to pick his own coach and therefore DD was also gone.

After thinking about this for much of the day, I think TP made the right decision. I questioned TM's ability to get rid of the bad contracts he acquired. I questioned his ability to execute his plan, and evaluate NHL players, after all if you want a fast puck possession team, why do you sign Moulson, and Franson and trade for Gorges? How do any of them fit the word fast? Also if you say you are looking for a LD puck mover, why do you sign Franson and acquire Kulikov? These moves must have given TP a migraine and took away TP's confidence that GMTM was ready to be a GM. I agree.

I know TBN is going to blame the firing on TP's mismanagement of his sports team, and while there is ample evidence to support that simple conclusion, in doesn't change the fact that TM was in over his head at this point as a GM. That doesn't mean TM won't learn from his mistakes here and become a good GM down the road. Ultimately TM must learn from this experience that you can't rush a rebuild.

Edited by GASabresFan

I argued for months that fundamental problem with the Sabres was the roster, both in construction and cost.  81 mill (in actual $ spent) for the 5th worst team in the NHL is unacceptable.  Obviously TP agreed.  GMTM was given a clean slate.  A team with tons of assets, no spending limits and no cap concerns.  He was allowed to hire anyone he wanted, including Uncle Terry.  In fact he was given so much rope he hung himself with it.  

TP asked himself if the guy who screwed it up had the ability to fix it.  He came to the conclusion that he wasn't comfortable with TM fixing the mess he made and therefore he was sent packing.  TP understood that a new GM would want to pick his own coach and therefore DD was also gone.

After thinking about this for much of the day, I think TP made the right decision.  I questioned TM's ability to get rid of the bad contracts he acquired.  I questioned his ability to execute his plan, and evaluate NHL players, after all if you want a fast puck possession team, why do you sign Moulson, and Franson and trade for Franson?  How do any of them fit the word fast? Also if you say you are looking for a LD puck mover, why do you sign Franson and acquire Kulikov?  These moves must have given TP a migraine and took away TP's confidence that GMTM was ready to be a GM.  I agree.

I know TBN is going to blame the firing on TP's mismanagement of his sports team, and while there is ample evidence to support that simple conclusion, in doesn't change the fact that TM was in over his head at this point as a GM.  That doesn't mean TM won't learn from his mistakes here and become a good GM down the road. Ultimately TM must learn from this experience that you can't rush a rebuild.  

I think you absolutely nailed it! Hopefully TPegs gets the right combo this time out. 7 years out of a playoff spot means the tank was a fail. (especially 17 points out this past season) Many things will have to fall into place for this club to make it in this season. This time I am not getting my hopes up like I did for this past one.

How long has there been a "fire Bylsma" thread here? How about a thread questioning Murray? The owner does what we want and he's the bad guy. I feel bad for the Pegulas because all they wanted is to do something nice for the "long suffering fans of WNY" and all they get in return are people s##ting on them.

Terry should just sell the teams to owners that would move them far away. It's the only way to end this madness.

A lot of fans on this board represent know it all attitudes that sit back in this armchairs and just stir things up with telling everybody what's wrong with everyone and everything except themselves. If they were to come out of the dark or their watering holes we'd find out what their huge accomplishments are. Not that great I suspect. Some on here are already criticizing what they were asking for to begin with.

I recommend a 12 at this point :beer:

Please at least wait until something is done before your constant negative dribble proceeds. Man you are getting so old. Followed these teams since their inception and after awhile the fans wear things down more than the team performances.

Edited by Radar

Yeah it was a strange "rebuild" when aging vets like Moulson, Gionta, and Gorges were getting ice time ahead of young guys that are suppose to be our future...we took a big step BACK this past season (both the Sabres and Rochester) and that was unacceptable. TP hired who were thought to be the best available at the time and it didn't work. I give him credit...instead of going on with the status quo he is doing whatever it takes to (hopefully) turn this ship around and finally give the fans a winner...

Today I discovered that Hop Stoopid comes in 6-packs. If this happens, or some facsimile thereof, I will find out what happens when one consumes said 6-pack in a single sitting.

Possibly the same thing that occurs after 2-3 Four Locos. And from what I've heard is you won't remember what happens and you may possibly find yourself in a field in Elma with no pants on.

A lot of fans on this board represent know it all attitudes that sit back in this armchairs and just stir things up with telling everybody what's wrong with everyone and everything except themselves. If they were to come out of the dark or their watering holes we'd find out what their huge accomplishments are. Not that great I suspect. Some on here are already criticizing what they were asking for to begin with.

Please at least wait until something is done before your constant negative dribble proceeds. Man you are getting so old. Followed these teams since their inception and after awhile the fans wear things down more than the team performances.

There's an ignore button right there for you. Or you can just leave and and not hang out with arm chair losers like ourselves. Either one works

It's a good thing Pegula never let LaFontaine finish his plan.   Maybe we'd be in a really good place right now, instead of setting up permanent residence at the bottom of the Atlantic Division?  

BTW -  TP -  perfect initials for this situation.  

How long has there been a "fire Bylsma" thread here? How about a thread questioning Murray? The owner does what we want and he's the bad guy. I feel bad for the Pegulas because all they wanted is to do something nice for the "long suffering fans of WNY" and all they get in return are people s##ting on them.

Terry should just sell the teams to owners that would move them far away. It's the only way to end this madness.

It's reasonable for fans of any team in any city to have an expectation that their team is competitive on a regular basis.

This "Buffalo" attitude that we should just be thankful to the Pegulas for keeping these teams in WNY and not hold them to a high standard is

Defending RB is idiotic, the guy is a complete failure in every position with every responsibility since day one and has brought his ineptness to the Sabres

This acceptance of mediocrity is embarrassing 

What a joke

From John Wawrow

For TV broadcast members in particular:

Person familiar with #Sabres GM/coach search tells AP team owner Terry Pegula will oversee process.

First of all, we've got to lay in a line of snick snacks. I know Mother likes organic sunflower seeds, but Russ is an M&M Peanut fan. I made the mistake of buying him Goobers recently and his head almost exploded. I think I'd like a big bag of those mini Snickers. We might be in there awhile.

(This is better heard in the voice of Larry David doing the voice of Steinbrenner on Seinfeld.)

Edited by PASabreFan

I argued for months that fundamental problem with the Sabres was the roster, both in construction and cost.  81 mill (in actual $ spent) for the 5th worst team in the NHL is unacceptable.  Obviously TP agreed.  GMTM was given a clean slate.  A team with tons of assets, no spending limits and no cap concerns.  He was allowed to hire anyone he wanted, including Uncle Terry.  In fact he was given so much rope he hung himself with it.  

TP asked himself if the guy who screwed it up had the ability to fix it.  He came to the conclusion that he wasn't comfortable with TM fixing the mess he made and therefore he was sent packing.  TP understood that a new GM would want to pick his own coach and therefore DD was also gone.

After thinking about this for much of the day, I think TP made the right decision.  I questioned TM's ability to get rid of the bad contracts he acquired.  I questioned his ability to execute his plan, and evaluate NHL players, after all if you want a fast puck possession team, why do you sign Moulson, and Franson and trade for Franson?  How do any of them fit the word fast? Also if you say you are looking for a LD puck mover, why do you sign Franson and acquire Kulikov?  These moves must have given TP a migraine and took away TP's confidence that GMTM was ready to be a GM.  I agree.

I know TBN is going to blame the firing on TP's mismanagement of his sports team, and while there is ample evidence to support that simple conclusion, in doesn't change the fact that TM was in over his head at this point as a GM.  That doesn't mean TM won't learn from his mistakes here and become a good GM down the road. Ultimately TM must learn from this experience that you can't rush a rebuild.  

There is no way TP can win here.  If he did nothing, he would be slammed.  He brings change, he gets slammed.

The media narrative was that Bylsma was bad, but TM OK to good.  So to fire both makes the team dysfunctional.  Easy to argue.  But the team has lots of pieces that are good, and some better chefs might get them over the top.  TM did what he had to do, did some good and some bad,  but perhaps after 3 years a fresh set of eyes and the proper moves and proper coaching can get the team to the playoffs.  I liked TM, but I think this could work.  I think Pegula keeps searching for the right guy for him, like I think McDermott is the right guys for the Bills.  We shall see-- but I think he will get out of the way when he feels he has the right people in place--right for him and success for the team.

:rolleyes:

It's reasonable for fans of any team in any city to have an expectation that their team is competitive on a regular basis.

This "Buffalo" attitude that we should just be thankful to the Pegulas for keeping these teams in WNY and not hold them to a high standard is ######

Defending RB is idiotic, the guy is a complete failure in every position with every responsibility since day one and has brought his ineptness to the Sabres

What a joke

and giving them a pass because they are "new owners"

The team had good players when Pegula took over. The team had bad players when Pegula took over.   We lost good players, we added good players.  We lost bad players, we added bad players.

I haven't seen a net improvement over the baseline that Pegula inherited.  

and giving them a pass because they are "new owners"

Yup.  

When does the newness wear off, and the excuses for the Pegulas repeated blunders end?  This is 2017 - not 2011.    They've owned the Sabres for going on 6 1/2 years now.  

There is no way TP can win here.  If he did nothing, he would be slammed.  He brings change, he gets slammed.

The media narrative was that Bylsma was bad, but TM OK to good.  So to fire both makes the team dysfunctional.  Easy to argue.  But the team has lots of pieces that are good, and some better chefs might get them over the top.  TM did what he had to do, did some good and some bad,  but perhaps after 3 years a fresh set of eyes and the proper moves and proper coaching can get the team to the playoffs.  I liked TM, but I think this could work.  I think Pegula keeps searching for the right guy for him, like I think McDermott is the right guys for the Bills.  We shall see-- but I think he will get out of the way when he feels he has the right people in place--right for him and success for the team.

He has shown no inclination that he knows who the right people are. We are in a 2-3 year cycle of firings and hirings with no end in sight

It was interesting but near the end it began to feel like a Candian guy protecting a fellow Canadian hockey guy from being scrutinized too hard.

This "Buffalo" attitude that we should just be thankful to the Pegulas for keeping these teams in WNY and not hold them to a high standard is ######

What a joke

It's simply not accurate.  He may not be doing what you like, but he's not failing.  If the teams are making money, the seats are full, then he's doing his job.  

If the fans truly cared about the teams performance then why do fans keep signing up to see these teams play?  If the fans were holding the team (and through it, it's leadership) accountable then they should be staying home and not watching the product.  The fans themselves accept mediocrity, or worse.  This isn't a surprise as this is a prevailing attitude in society, not just sports.

If you want to call a distinction, perhaps you say that the people who keep showing up each game are not really fans.  They are just consumers of the product.  They don't care enough about the team because it's the social experience they want.  There are a large number of people who want to just tailgate and get drunk each Sunday and the ticket to the game is the price of admission for them.  It's how they reset their work week.  The Sabres are STILL capping season ticket sales.  Who's buying those tickets?  Do we call them fans or consumers?

I don't know.  I'll accept that people who are willing to post on a forum are a bit more fanatical than others but I don't buy for a moment that PSE is not successful right now.  The fans want the team to win, they expect to have a winning product, but they don't care enough to take the actions that would force PSE to actually follow through on that.

There's a difference between being successful and winning.  Yes, I saw the comment that by winning they could earn more money and because they aren't winning they are failing.  Not winning does not immediately equate to failing.  They are winning, just not as much as they could be.  They probably want to win more too but HOW they want to go about it might not align with HOW they want to run their business, at least right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.