Tim Murray and Dan Byslma Have Been Fired

Mustache of God

The more I think about this the more I think Murray had his coach's back and would not fire him.  Pegula fired them both.  I think this was decided just as the season ended and before Murray's end of season presser, but Pegula was busy attending to personal matters until today.

I think the two things I have bolded are related. My working theory builds off of something I've posted about before, a nagging thought I just couldn't shake: that Murray and Bylsma really were on the same page. Unless something Pegula says tomorrow really sways me, I believe when Murray said last week that he had never given any thought to firing Dan, he was giving the blunt truth. I think, to the end, Murray had no intention of firing Bylsma. Now some will say they don't think he'd fall on the sword for Bylsma, but I don't think he was given an ultimatum of any kind. I think part of the plan forward he layed out for the Pegulas included retaining Bylsma for the 2017 season. The Pegulas took the night to evaluate things, and essentially decided that what Murray had presented wasn't a satisfactory plan moving forward, and retaining Bylsma was a big part of that.

And yes, I think Bylsma was so bad, that retaining him would be a fireable offense. More to the point, if my read of things is correct, it really does call into question Murray's ability to grow as a GM.

Yeah that's a really fair read, too. For me, what it really comes down to is if Murray believed in Bylsma's system then he was never going to find a good coach without accidentally falling ass-backwards into one (like he almost did with Babcock).

Somebody mentioned it upthread, Babcock might've chosen the Leafs because Murray failed his interview.

He's in his ear. Pegula needs hockey people to make the hockey decisions. Pegula should concentrate on being a fan. All this team has done since he bought it is spin its wheels. 

We need a President of hockey operations again, but this time a long term one.

The more I think about this the more I think Murray had his coach's back and would not fire him.  Pegula fired them both.  I think this was decided just as the season ended and before Murray's end of season presser, but Pegula was busy attending to personal matters until today.

That makes sense when you think of those cryptic words from the GM formerly known as Tim Murray. " He's the coach today. I'm the G.M. today."

Edited by bunomatic

That makes sense when you think of those cryptic words from the GM formerly known as Tim Murray. " He's the coach today. I'm the G.M. today."

Say what you will about the man, but it's pretty darn cool he chose to speak so honestly and candidly, right through until the end of his tenure.

Makes you think he knew there was a good possibility it was coming. 

For sure. At the time, I thought that was just a thing he said to be diplomatic in the media...but hindsight being 20/20, I think he had an idea he wasn't on super solid footing. Which is why I mused a few posts back about whether at some point during the season Pegula thought Bylsma should go, but Murray stood by him. Then it all plays out, they finish lower than last season and totally collapse down the stretch...Murray may have known.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

He's in his ear. Pegula needs hockey people to make the hockey decisions. Pegula should concentrate on being a fan. All this team has done since he bought it is spin its wheels.

Even though no one can cite one example of Brandon involved in a hockey decision. But I did read that Russ Brandon sneaks in and dulls the skates of mite hockey players that play between periods because he's jealous of how popular they are with fans.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.