Terry Pegula is "Not My Owner"

Marvelo

I lay the blame for this entire mess that is the Sabres (and Bills) at the feet of the dim-witted Terrence M. "TerryPegula. He created this "management team." The Sabres have fired three coaches since 2013 (going on 4 with Byslma) and the Bills are on their third coach in three years. He created the country club atmosphere with his $10 million locker room... He helped pick and keep many of these defective players with horrible contracts starting with Leino. He encouraged and loved the tank and set us up for the big mutiny we are now seeing. Terry and his wife have made the Sabres and Bills the biggest laughingstocks in the NHL/NFL and I don't think we're ever coming back. Looks to me like he's going to "close out" Buffalo professional sports. The fans are already running screaming towards the exits.

"TerryPegula is NOT MY OWNER.

You seem to know a lot about them. How many times have you sat down and talked with them?

You seem to know a lot about them. How many times have you sat down and talked with them?

Probably as many times as Terry has sat down and talked to the fans (through the media). It goes both ways. Why is he hiding?

yeah, he owns the team. I love how people come on a message board and rip the self made billionaire owner who saved not one but two franchises from moving or folding. The Sabres were owned by the ###### league when Pegula bought them. Bankrupt and unwanted. I love both teams and the city of Buffalo and surrounding area and I can wait, for now, for the Pegulas to build winners. Whether we choose to believe it or not, winning is important to them. It'll come, until then I'll be right here, cheering them on.

You're a good poster and fan, but this post is one big oopsy. Just a brain fart, I'm sure. The smaller oopsy is the idea that Pegula's critics don't think winning is important to him. Sure it is. He's just going about it the wrong way. We also see here the opposite of fear and loathing of the wealthy. Terry should be immune from criticism because he's a billionaire and obviously smart and qualified to run pro sports teams. How's that working out in Washington so far?

Edited by PASabreFan

Probably as many times as Terry has sat down and talked to the fans (through the media). It goes both ways. Why is he hiding?

What do you want a personal invite to all Sabre meetings?   He said countless times that they prefer to let the players and GM be the ones out front. That I have seen him say in interviews. I do not trust one thing the media writes unless I see the person say it. Too much parrot/tabloid journalism going on now to trust some reports. No common sense and logic to some of it.

You're a good poster and fan, but this post is one big oopsy. Just a brain fart, I'm sure. The smaller oopsy is the idea that Pegula's critics don't think winning is important to him. Sure it is. He's just going about it the wrong way. We also see here the opposite of fear and loathing of the wealthy. Terry should be immune from criticism because he's a billionaire and obviously smart and qualified to run pro sports teams. How's that working out in Washington so far?

thanks. I don't think they are immune from criticism, just think they deserve a little more rope to figure it out. So far ,they are pouring resources into both franchises, upgrading what can be upgraded and attempting to put competitive teams on the playing surface. They have made mistakes but that doesn't change my support for them or my fandom. I want winners and I believe they will get there, I hold out hope it'll be sooner than later.

Pegula owes you nothing.

Blech. Worst take ever. He's supposed to be one of us. A community treasure is in his care. The fans ultimately create the revenue in this sport. Owners owe us a lot, most of all competence. Upon further review, it's a weird retort. Who said anything about "owing"?

Actually the Bills three seasons under the Pegulas are 21-22. The three seasons prior they were 18-30. So actually they improved considerably. But please, carry on.

The Bills were improving when the Pegulas took over.  

The Bills were 9-7 when Pegula took over mid-season;  that was the first time the Bills had a winning record in decades.   They've since gone 8-8 and now 7-9!! (Shades of Dick Jauron).

Their defense, which was top 5 when Pegulas took over -  is now one of the worst in the NFL.  

The first major decision the Pegulas made as owners was to hire that ass-clown Rex Ryan - whom intelligent savvy owners would have never been hired in FIRST PLACE!   That led to the departure of Jim Schwartz, and there went the defense.  

Clearly the Bills have retrogressed since the Pegulas took over.  Just like the Sabres!

This thread is so far off-base.   

Pegula rescued both franchises, put a lot of money into them, look at Harbor Center, etc... did so much for the community, and people here lambaste him because the teams haven't won a Championship in the couple of years he's been owner.   Gimme a break.   It takes time, both franchises are moving in the right direction IMO, and they're still in Buffalo, you have nothing to complain about.  

I lay the blame for this entire mess that is the Sabres (and Bills) at the feet of the dim-witted Terrence M. "TerryPegula. He created this "management team." The Sabres have fired three coaches since 2013 (going on 4 with Byslma) and the Bills are on their third coach in three years. He created the country club atmosphere with his $10 million locker room... He helped pick and keep many of these defective players with horrible contracts starting with Leino. He encouraged and loved the tank and set us up for the big mutiny we are now seeing. Terry and his wife have made the Sabres and Bills the biggest laughingstocks in the NHL/NFL and I don't think we're ever coming back. Looks to me like he's going to "close out" Buffalo professional sports. The fans are already running screaming towards the exits.

"TerryPegula is NOT MY OWNER.

Not even remotely true.    

Pegula rescued both franchises, put a lot of money into them, look at Harbor Center, etc... did so much for the community, and people here lambaste him because the teams haven't won a Championship in the couple of years he's been owner.   Gimme a break.   It takes time, both franchises are moving in the right direction IMO, and they're still in Buffalo, you have nothing to complain about.  

I honestly expected more from you. Not agreement or anything, but more than the standard defense that somehow gives Terry credit for "Saving our Sabres."

Not even remotely true.    

Amen!

The Pegula's are new sports owners and are still learning on the job. It's not like the Sabres were a Stanley Cup Caliber team and Terry said "no" to big contracts and don't resign the teams top two centers (like Golisano did with Drury and Briere). When the Pegula's took over, they had a bunch of overrated wingers, no good Centers and an above average goalie, that team wasn't built to win a Stanley Cup.

My memory is not as sharp as it once was, but I don't think that Pegula 'rescued' either team.

He bought the Sabres from another billionaire who saw a great chance to make a nice profit (OSP, it can be argued, 'rescued' the Sabres out of the clutches of the NHL ... I do not believe that the NHL would have allowed for a Sabre move, or fold).

Now there was some sense that had Pegula not bought the Bills some yeah-hoo very possibly could have and moved them.  I do not believe for a second that the NFL would have approved a Bills move.

I think the Pegula's would be well served to hire the best football and hockey people they can find and let them run each team ... real football and real hockey people, not the make believers.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

My memory is not as sharp as it once was, but I don't think that Pegula 'rescued' either team.

He bought the Sabres from another billionaire who saw a great chance to make a nice profit (OSP, it can be argued, 'rescued' the Sabres out of the clutches of the NHL ... I do not believe that the NHL would have allowed for a Sabre move, or fold).

Now there was some sense that had Pegula not bought the Bills some yeah-hoo very possibly could have and moved them.  I do not believe for a second that the NFL would have approved a Bills move.

I think the Pegula's would be well served to hire the best football and hockey people they can find and let them run each team ... real football and real hockey people, not the make believers.

You remember who one of those yeah-hoos was, right?

You could say that about the Sabres, but every Sabres fan that has been following the team for more than ten years can tell you that Golisano was a "bargain basement" owner, meaning he only saw the Sabres as a business and had financial mandates on the team. Golisano hired Darcy Regier and it was his idea to start "the tank." After the 2007 offseason debacle, how do you think fans would react/respond to Golisano if Regier was still the Sabres GM and they continued to suck today?

In regards to the Bills and the NFL not letting them move, think again. The NFL has been wanting a team in LA for many years and they have two: Chargers and Rams. Also, the Raiders were approved for relocation and they have a very passionate fan base just like the Bills. So if the NFL owners approved for three teams to move, why wouldn't they have approved the move of the Bills to Toronto if JBJ purchased the team?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Not directly & not intentionally, but that was a VERY real possibility if the guy who the league initially hooked its wagon to had gotten the team. Hammister was severely undercapitalized & when he lost out on the Sabres, he took his ball (the Destroyers) & ran crying off to Columbus.

Truly doubt that he could've withstood the lockout. In which case, the best case result is either the Sabres are in bankruptcy AGAIN &/or are sold AGAIN to local buyers & the worst case is Hammister runs to Welland or KC or he sells to Balsillie.

Quinn is a self-serving putz but he did talk Golisano into outbidding Hammister. (Which considering both of their finances wasn't particularly difficult.) The more surprising thing was the NHL actually picked the right bidder in the end after initially backing the wrong one. They never seem to get that stuff right; luckily for us they did this one time.

You could say that about the Sabres, but every Sabres fan that has been following the team for more than ten years can tell you that Golisano was a "bargain basement" owner, meaning he only saw the Sabres as a business and had financial mandates on the team. Golisano hired Darcy Regier and it was his idea to start "the tank." After the 2007 offseason debacle, how do you think fans would react/respond to Golisano if Regier was still the Sabres GM and they continued to suck today?

In regards to the Bills and the NFL not letting them move, think again. The NFL has been wanting a team in LA for many years and they have two: Chargers and Rams. Also, the Raiders were approved for relocation and they have a very passionate fan base just like the Bills. So if the NFL owners approved for three teams to move, why wouldn't they have approved the move of the Bills to Toronto if JBJ purchased the team?

He did? Back in '97? :unsure:

Assuming you meant the tank was Regier's doing initially. If you put that one on Tom as well, then it's time for another emoji.

How about this:  the Bills are certainly no worse than they were and as demonstrated upthread are actually a bit better. 

The Sabres are worse, but they are worse because they decided to pursue the strategy that most here wanted them to pursue:  the siren's song of the tank.  The results of that decision were entirely predictable.

Now, are the Pegulas ultimately responsible for the tank, and, before that, for keeping Darcy on -- both of which decisions turned out poorly?  Yes, they are.  But while I disagreed with both decisions, both were defensible.  Neither was the product of foolish/self-indulgent meddling, as the fear-and-loathing-of-the-wealthy corner here would have it.

And next year, if they get better coaching and good health, they'll likely make the playoffs.  Frankly, they probably would've made it this year with Babcock and with no early Eichel, Kane, Okposo and ROR injuries.

I think this post has a lot of merit. We forget how really bad we were. Bylsma is not the whole problem although I would support a coaching change if the players are just not on board with him overall but we still need several upgrades in our roster and I haven't given up on Murray's being able to pull that off.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.