Terry Pegula is "Not My Owner"

Marvelo

I'd like to hear more about how Pegula gets credit for Canalside too. But I'll give you that. And I'll even give pi the point that Pegula saved the Sabres because he was willing to accept Golisano's condition. Canalside. Saved the franchise. Lockerroom. HarborCenter. Pegulaville. The Bills. Nice guy. Wants to win. It doesn't change my opinion of the job he has done as owner of the Sabres. He's done everything except the most important thing.

A sports team is "the most important thing"? I am glad that it's not for me

it is rather absurd to blame the Pegulas for any perceived failures on the ice (or field)...like they haven't tried to bring a winner to Buffalo? Please...they have spent money like crazy and it was and is not their fault that maybe the number one biggest factor in the Sabres' season and future was that the leafs threw babs a ton of cash and he broke a gentleman's agreement he made with the Sabres and shuffled off to TO...if we had Babs and TO had Blysma trust me we'd be at least 10 wins better and the leafs at least 10 wins less, meaning we'd be all giddy and the leafs would be still lamenting about how bad things are. babs made detroit a winner for many years often  with very little in the way of talent but he has a way to get the most out of each player. There are many leafs playing over their heads and babs knows how to use each player so well. the Sabres have a bunch of under-acheving players and therein lies the biggest difference. Blysma uses the wrong players to do the wrong things and it shows. we must remember that there are a ton of teams trying to get better and move up the standings and if it were that easy everyone would be contending for the cup. It is not easy and many teams continue to struggle as much if not more then the sabres.Unlike Vancouver and Dallas for two examples at least we have good young players to feel good about...they have huge money spent on aging vets and are getting nowhere fast.Things are not nearly as bad as we tend to let on on this board

You aren't

Actually, everyone is wrong, but it's my fault for not being clear. The most important thing for an owner to do is hire good people and get out of the way. He certainly didn't do it early with the Sabres, and he hasn't done it at all with the Bills. What kind of owner he's been since Murray got going is a bit of a mystery. My sense is that Pegula has pulled back and is concentrating on his real prize in Orchard Park. But I also sense that after a couple of public miscues, including his WGR "confession," the PR people convinced Terry to not leave any trails of bread crumbs.

The Pegulas should be applauded for their commitment to Buffalo and for opening their pocketbooks for both franchises as they chase winning.

They should also be held to the same standard as any owner, making the right decisions to build winning teams.

The two are not in conflict, in some ways, the first is EFFORT and the second is RESULTS.

Just like in life, encourage effort, reward results.

And, BTW, Regier and company had some piss poor drafts between 2005 and 2012, that's an 8-year span of drafts that yielded a few serviceable players and NO STARS !! --- 8 years.  That is why Reiger said long suffering, he knew how badly he had drafted and how absolutely empty the pipeline was 

Who's Balsillie?

Grandpa PA won't tell you, but I will.

Jimmy had a dream.  A big dream.  He called it RIM.  Near the climax of the dream there was a shinning moment ... RIM had become BlackBerry.

If my wife and I had listened to our neighbour at the time we would be retired on the Croatian Riviera now.

The Bills and Sabres were never in danger of moving?

"Via the Associated Press, the Buffalo Fan Alliance has found several press releases referring to Rogers communications consultant Roger Rai as part of an ownership group “attempting to acquire and move the Buffalo Bills to Toronto.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/14/report-documents-hint-at-plan-to-move-bills-to-toronto/

Who's Balsillie?

He contacted Golisano about purchasing the Sabres and offered more money than the Pegula's. He also wanted to move the team to Hamilton, Ont.

I'm fairly certain there would have been a 0% chance of the league and the Board of Governors signing off on a sale to Balsillie because of all the antics. Galisano would most definitely have woken up one morning to the horror of several torn sugar packets in his bed Godfather-style as a message from Bettman on this point.

I'm fairly certain there would have been a 0% chance of the league and the Board of Governors signing off on a sale to Balsillie because of all the antics. Galisano would most definitely have woken up one morning to the horror of several torn sugar packets in his bed Godfather-style as a message from Bettman on this point.

The owners would have maintained an extremely adversarial view towards Balsillie. Would that have been enough to ensure that he would not have become the owner had the Sabres filed for bankruptcy protection for the secod time in 3 years? Probabably. But, even if it weren't Balsillie moving the team, it wouldn't have been the lock it is now that they stay put.

Because in a world where Hammister owns the team, the odds of the team staying in Buffalo move from well over 90% (probably over 97%) during the Aldelphia bankruptcy down to more like 75-80%. They're still in our favor, but not nearly good enough for this kid to feel comfortable. Hammister & friends did not have the resources to withstand that lost lockout season. He needed a LOT of public money to get his bid up high enough to have been the early frontrunner. (Nursing homes & Arena football teams apparently aren't quite the cash cows they'd seem to be. :p)

Especially considering THAT bankruptcy would have been occuring at a time the league EXPECTED a 15% reduction in league-wide revenues, it would have been another worrisome time for us all.

I know, I was just being a little sarcastic. Anyways, I'm just glad Golisano didn't sell the Sabres to that clown.

Gotcha.

My sarcasm metre is in the shop ...  ;)

There was no way that OSP was going to sell to him and I am not sure that the NHL would have approved the sale.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.