Terry Pegula is "Not My Owner"

Marvelo

I lay the blame for this entire mess that is the Sabres (and Bills) at the feet of the dim-witted Terrence M. "TerryPegula. He created this "management team." The Sabres have fired three coaches since 2013 (going on 4 with Byslma) and the Bills are on their third coach in three years. He created the country club atmosphere with his $10 million locker room... He helped pick and keep many of these defective players with horrible contracts starting with Leino. He encouraged and loved the tank and set us up for the big mutiny we are now seeing. Terry and his wife have made the Sabres and Bills the biggest laughingstocks in the NHL/NFL and I don't think we're ever coming back. Looks to me like he's going to "close out" Buffalo professional sports. The fans are already running screaming towards the exits.

"TerryPegula is NOT MY OWNER.

Edited by Marvelo

I lay the blame for this entire mess that is the Sabres (and Bills) at the feet of the dim-witted Terrence M. "TerryPegula. He created this "management team." He created the country club atmosphere with his $10 million locker room... He helped pick and keep some of these defective players starting with Leino. He encouraged and loved the tank and set us up for the big mutiny we are now seeing. Terry and his wife have made the Sabres and Bills the biggest laughingstocks in the NHL/NFL and I don't think we're ever coming back.

Well, unless you work for him, you are correct.

I don't know about 'ever' coming back - but clearly both teams the Pegulas have  purchased (not where Terry ends and Kim begins, so I call it joint ownership)   have declined since purchase.    Unless the Pegulas themselves take a more hands off approach, and hire better management and give that management more autonomy,  I don't see the teams ever rising above mediocrity.  The Pegulas are clearly horribly naive and inept at making operational decisions for their teams.  And it really shows.  

Folks forget the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for over 6 years now.   The last season prior to the Pegula's purchase - the Sabres were a 100+ point team.  Now they're struggling to hit 80 in a season, despite vast, unwise, and ineffective expenditures of funds.   

We saw, in early videos, shortly after purchasing the Sabres,  the Pegulas'  management 'style' - the Sabres would have these big meetings with Terry sitting there, with Regier,  Ruff Ted Black, et al, in a room, and make 'committee' decisions;  I remember Pegula stating that every decision is discussed by everyone prior to it happening.   That is unless of course Terry or Kim just go 'rogue' and make a decision unilaterally, like the bungled and botched firing of Rex Ryan by El Solo Lobo T-Peg, which helped make the Bills the laughing stock of the NFL .... again.  

The Pegulas are like the middle aged couple who take up a hobby together and 'tinker' - like weekend gardeners.   Only in this case, it's billion dollar sports franchises that are the hobby - and they putter and putz with them. 

A terrible management style - and the results speak for themselves.  You need one person with a vision and a goal driving, leading towards excellence.

I think the main reason quality NHL leadership has passed on Buffalo, is likely a top shelf GM or top shelf Coach wouldn't want to work under such a dysfunctional system.  With the Bills for example, could you see a quality GM applying for the job after the humiliation and embarrassment Whaley was put through during the Ryan debacle?  

A quality GM would have immediately quit and not put up with that nonsense - and that's why I don't think Whaley is a quality GM - I doubt he thinks he'd enjoy such a lofty position on another NFL team.  But that's another topic.   

Edited by Jsixspd

I lay the blame for this entire mess that is the Sabres (and Bills) at the feet of the dim-witted Terrence M. "TerryPegula. He created this "management team." The Sabres have fired three coaches since 2013 (going on 4 with Byslma) and the Bills are on their third coach in three years. He created the country club atmosphere with his $10 million locker room... He helped pick and keep many of these defective players with horrible contracts starting with Leino. He encouraged and loved the tank and set us up for the big mutiny we are now seeing. Terry and his wife have made the Sabres and Bills the biggest laughingstocks in the NHL/NFL and I don't think we're ever coming back. Looks to me like he's going to "close out" Buffalo professional sports. The fans are already running screaming towards the exits.

Luckily, Buffalo has a surplus of local billionaires to step in, buy the team, and keep them here. Yeah, it's been a rocky start, but jiminy christmas, at least he's willing to eat salary when he does get rid of bad coaches, players. Lots of previous regimes were so freaking cheap, we'd never see stuff like the buyouts. So yeah, they don't look so good right now, but it's better than a whole lot of other possibilities. I think the sabres are still going in the right direction, it just blows that Toronto got way out ahead of us.

First off, I do think Buffalo is lucky to have owners that are staying put and not shuffling off to vegas or wherever...I know TO wants the Bills obviously. I also think terry tried to get the best available hockey minds and had a gentlemen's agreement with Babs that Babcock broke and instead took TO's buckets of cash. If we had got babs we would be far better and the leafs not nearly as good for sure...if Blysma was coaching the Leafs they'd be a mess with all youngsters not listening to him as we see here. either way, the Pegula's truly care and are trying their best...  

I tore the window clings off m car last night I was so p%*(d. Yes it was a childish outburst I'm not proud of. But I hate Toronto and to see all those smug fans in our seats falls on ownership. I'd sell my tickets too rather than watch this misery.  I'm still a fan, but I'm embarrassed about the state of the team and "suffering". I got texts last night from my die hard Ranger, Flyers and Sens friends after the 3-0 beat down start. 

How many years can this go on? I took my kids to losses this year and the energy level was so low. Blaming that on anything other than dysfunction is myopic.  To me it falls on ownership, GM and coach.  Until Bylsma is gone and possibly Murray, I'll not be advertising this team and "suffering" on anyone by flouting my gear.

I said this to a friend and he kind of made fun of me, but for real, if the Bills or Sabres don't get it together before Eichel leaves I'm probably done with Buffalo sports. Thats sort of an inane thing to say, because he'll be here for another decade at least  probably, but I'm serious, if I turn 40 and one of these teams isn't legit I'm done. I've almost given up the Bills as it is, right now Eichel is literally the only reason I watch the Sabres.

IDK if its Pegula's fault or whatever, but I don't really care, honestly. These teams are not fun to watch, and if I'm not having fun then what's the point?

People are still upset because Uncle Terry promised the Stanley Cup in three years of buying the team. Get over it already!

I don't believe that. You think people aren't upset with the product if he doesn't make those comments?

I'm frustrated because I sat through 2 years of unwatchable hockey to end up with more unwatchable hockey. 

These teams are not fun to watch, and if I'm not having fun then what's the point?

exactly, paying for entertainment that isn't entertaining. 

I don't believe that. You think people aren't upset with the product if he doesn't make those comments?

I'm frustrated because I sat through 2 years of unwatchable hockey to end up with more unwatchable hockey. 

exactly, paying for entertainment that isn't entertaining. 

ding ding ding

OK, so you don't see Pegula as a problem.

Speaking strictly on the Sabres, he pretty clearly had shiny new toy syndrome early on, then went all in on a strategy that could predictably have led to the beaten-down psychology of the fan base, which seems to have recently manifested itself on the ice.

The opening post is full of sweeping hyperbolic statements and exists to blame a distant, powerful shadowy figure for all our unhappiness. There is no solution offered, just name-calling and a call to gather the pitchforks.

The internet is full of this kind of posting. I've always wondered why, since it appears to serve no constructive purpose.

The Pegulas are like the middle aged couple who take up a hobby together and 'tinker' - like weekend gardeners.   Only in this case, it's billion dollar sports franchises that are the hobby - and they putter and putz with them.

Nailed it (the whole post, actually). The galling thing to me is that two people who are allegedly fans of these teams are coming dangerously close to destroying them. Allegedly... I'd go to court and testify that Terry and fam became Pens fans at some point. Would clearly explain why he didn't know his beloved Sabres were bankrupt and for sale in 2002. You love the teams? Hands-off. Let the pros take care of them. Don't do heart surgery on your nana because you think you know better.

As for your point about management style, I think that's exactly why Babcock took a peak and said, Nah, just a year after the LaFontaine debacle. Think guys like Patty aren't respected around the league? Look at the management team in Toronto. Shanny as pres, Lou as GM, Babcock, certainly with power, as coach. That's why we're looking up at them in the standings already.

Luckily, Buffalo has a surplus of local billionaires to step in, buy the team, and keep them here. Yeah, it's been a rocky start, but jiminy christmas, at least he's willing to eat salary when he does get rid of bad coaches, players. Lots of previous regimes were so freaking cheap, we'd never see stuff like the buyouts. So yeah, they don't look so good right now, but it's better than a whole lot of other possibilities. I think the sabres are still going in the right direction, it just blows that Toronto got way out ahead of us.

This idea persists that Terry "saved the Sabres." You're only one owner off. (Maybe two. Rigas probably saved them the first time, but we know how that ended up.)

Why do people make these kind of threads? Therapy?

Because people don't make these kinds of threads. It needs to be said. Early and often. It's funny that whoever starts a thread like this is cast as the unappreciative crank or something. The truth hurts, I guess. The Pegulas are nice people who are in wayyyyy over their heads. And we're all, uh, suffering as a result. People say of course the owner is going to be involved, that's his prerogative and they all do it. What about Tom Golisano?

Edited by PASabreFan

Because people don't make these kinds of threads. It needs to be said. Early and often. It's funny that whoever starts a thread like this is cast as the unappreciative crank or something. The truth hurts, I guess. The Pegulas are nice people who are in wayyyyy over their heads. And we're all, uh, suffering as a result. People say of course the owner is going to be involved, that's his prerogative and they all do it. What about Tom Golisano?

So, therapy?

I don't know about 'ever' coming back - but clearly both teams the Pegulas have purchased (not where Terry ends and Kim begins, so I call it joint ownership) have declined since purchase. Unless the Pegulas themselves take a more hands off approach, and hire better management and give that management more autonomy, I don't see the teams ever rising above mediocrity. The Pegulas are clearly horribly naive and inept at making operational decisions for their teams. And it really shows.

Folks forget the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for over 6 years now. The last season prior to the Pegula's purchase - the Sabres were a 100+ point team. Now they're struggling to hit 80 in a season, despite vast, unwise, and ineffective expenditures of funds.

We saw, in early videos, shortly after purchasing the Sabres, the Pegulas' management 'style' - the Sabres would have these big meetings with Terry sitting there, with Regier, Ruff Ted Black, et al, in a room, and make 'committee' decisions; I remember Pegula stating that every decision is discussed by everyone prior to it happening. That is unless of course Terry or Kim just go 'rogue' and make a decision unilaterally, like the bungled and botched firing of Rex Ryan by El Solo Lobo T-Peg, which helped make the Bills the laughing stock of the NFL .... again.

The Pegulas are like the middle aged couple who take up a hobby together and 'tinker' - like weekend gardeners. Only in this case, it's billion dollar sports franchises that are the hobby - and they putter and putz with them.

A terrible management style - and the results speak for themselves. You need one person with a vision and a goal driving, leading towards excellence.

I think the main reason quality NHL leadership has passed on Buffalo, is likely a top shelf GM or top shelf Coach wouldn't want to work under such a dysfunctional system. With the Bills for example, could you see a quality GM applying for the job after the humiliation and embarrassment Whaley was put through during the Ryan debacle?

A quality GM would have immediately quit and not put up with that nonsense - and that's why I don't think Whaley is a quality GM - I doubt he thinks he'd enjoy such a lofty position on another NFL team. But that's another topic.

Actually the Bills three seasons under the Pegulas are 21-22. The three seasons prior they were 18-30. So actually they improved considerably. But please, carry on. Edited by PromoTheRobot

So, therapy?

I guess. Is that bad? Sometimes I think that's all this board is, on a number of topics, some of them very personal. I also think fans like to think they have some modicum of power, and expressing their opinions means something, if just a little. Is writing a letter to your member of Congress (or Parliament) just therapy?

I guess. Is that bad? Sometimes I think that's all this board is, on a number of topics, some of them very personal. I also think fans like to think they have some modicum of power, and expressing their opinions means something, if just a little. Is writing a letter to your member of Congress (or Parliament) just therapy?

No, not bad at all.

I like the congressman letter take.

Writing a letter your congressman about how a child is being denied an opportunity to walk because of a loophole in health legislation is a lot different than writing to tell him that he's a fool and he's leading the country to hell in a hand basket. I've never thought the latter served a constructive purpose but I wonder if it does.

Sounds like everyone else is crazy except for you...so shoot the messenger.

I'm not shooting. Asking questions and expressing my opinion. Seeking to understand.

How about this:  the Bills are certainly no worse than they were and as demonstrated upthread are actually a bit better. 

The Sabres are worse, but they are worse because they decided to pursue the strategy that most here wanted them to pursue:  the siren's song of the tank.  The results of that decision were entirely predictable.

Now, are the Pegulas ultimately responsible for the tank, and, before that, for keeping Darcy on -- both of which decisions turned out poorly?  Yes, they are.  But while I disagreed with both decisions, both were defensible.  Neither was the product of foolish/self-indulgent meddling, as the fear-and-loathing-of-the-wealthy corner here would have it.

And next year, if they get better coaching and good health, they'll likely make the playoffs.  Frankly, they probably would've made it this year with Babcock and with no early Eichel, Kane, Okposo and ROR injuries.

There's not much to understand except The Emperor's New Clothes. We're stuck with him.

yeah, he owns the team. I love how people come on a message board and rip the self made billionaire owner who saved not one but two franchises from moving or folding. The Sabres were owned by the league when Pegula bought them. Bankrupt and unwanted. I love both teams and the city of Buffalo and surrounding area and I can wait, for now, for the Pegulas to build winners. Whether we choose to believe it or not, winning is important to them. It'll come, until then I'll be right here, cheering them on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.