Big change coming and needed on Sabres roster.

GASabresIUFAN

I'm expecting as much as a 50% turnover in the Sabres roster this summer. Why? What we have now isn't working.

The Sabres defense is terrible. We are 1st in most shots allowed and until recently, we had the worst PK.

Because of excellent goaltending we actually only 20th in GA at 219 and 19th in GA 5 on 5. We could see 5 new players on the blue line next season.

The forward group in many ways is worse then the D. Despite Kane's heroics, the Sabres, despite the NHLs best PP and a reasonable 13th in shots for, sit 24th in GF at 193 and 27th 5 on 5. In fact after Kane's 24 5 on 5 goals, Jack and Foligno are tied at 13 for second. ROR has 11, KO 12, Gionta 11 are next. Sam has only 8 even strength goals. Moulson and Ennis have 7 between them.

To fuel this change the Sabres have 12 prospect at or near NHL ready in Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Smith, ERod, Carrier, Fasching, Antipin, Guhle, Nelson, Austin and Ullmark. Couple that with 10 FAs including Ullmark, Lehner Nilsson, Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons, Franson, Kulikov, and Fedun, and you a roster ripe for turnover. Now also factor in 4 bad contracts in Bogo, Ennis, Moulson and Gorges with marginal NHLers Falk and Delo on 1 years deals and you have 6 more turnover canidates. One final turnover candidate is Kane, who GMTM might need to trade to get a top 4 D.

Ultimately only 7 of are top 23 players is certain to be here next season. Everyone is subject to change.

I'm expecting as much as a 50% turnover in the Sabres roster this summer. Why? What we have now isn't working.

The Sabres defense is terrible. We are 1st in most shots allowed and until recently, we had the worst PK.

Because of excellent goaltending we actually only 20th in GA at 219 and 19th in GA 5 on 5. We could see 5 new players on the blue line next season.

The forward group in many ways is worse then the D. Despite Kane's heroics, the Sabres, despite the NHLs best PP and a reasonable 13th in shots for, sit 24th in GF at 193 and 27th 5 on 5. In fact after Kane's 24 5 on 5 goals, Jack and Foligno are tied at 13 for second. ROR has 11, KO 12, Gionta 11 are next. Sam has only 8 even strength goals. Moulson and Ennis have 7 between them.

To fuel this change the Sabres have 12 prospect at or near NHL ready in Nylander, Bailey, Baptiste, Smith, ERod, Carrier, Fasching, Antipin, Guhle, Nelson, Austin and Ullmark. Couple that with 10 FAs including Ullmark, Lehner Nilsson, Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons, Franson, Kulikov, and Fedun, and you a roster ripe for turnover. Now also factor in 4 bad contracts in Bogo, Ennis, Moulson and Gorges with marginal NHLers Falk and Delo on 1 years deals and you have 6 more turnover canidates. One final turnover candidate is Kane, who GMTM might need to trade to get a top 4 D.

Ultimately only 7 of are top 23 players is certain to be here next season. Everyone is subject to change.

Hmmmmmm. 2 years into a rebuild, there is a suggestion to replace 50% of the roster in the coming off-season due to severe underperformance by the team.

The GM COULD do that. OR he could FIRE THE FRIGGIN' COACH.

Nobody ever fires all the players (well, nobody not already in their 15th season as GM, & even HE fired the coach before being shown the door for getting rid of all the players). When one needs to turn over 50% of the roster, the more productive move is to fire the coach.

what non sense is this. We have an extremely young team in many areas.  Many of our issues is the adjustment for young players to grasp the pro game...  

We are # 1 powerplay team with a bottom penalty kill.. Al we need ot fix is the penalty kill area alone for probably 10 more wins next season

Defense wise we need 2 players in FA that can fill out top 4 roles. One of them being a top line player who can kill penalties

Offense wise our 2 best scorers had injury issues this year....   Good chance both Eichel and Kane can net 40 next season....

Way to much over reaction from Sabres fans regarding how to improve this team.. Just typical for Buffalo fans these days.......    Gutting this team would be beyond stupid

Edited by ddaryl

Here I'll lay out specific.

1. Ullmark takes over for Nilsson.

2-4. Franson, Kulikov walk and Gorges is bought out. Replaced by Guhle, Antipin and a FA.

5. Kane traded to Ana for Vatanen.

6. Gionta isn't re-signed. Replaced by Fasching or Bailey.

7. Ennis lost to expansion. Replaced by Smith.

8. Larsson traded to LV to get them to take Ennis. Replaced by Erod.

9. Delo sent down and replaced by FA vet.

10. Fall sent down and replaced by vet like Quincey or Seidenberg.

What happens to Big Z is we play Sam at center? I knew that some would think the 50% was an extreme number when I wrote the first post, but when you look at the moves I've mentioned I think most would admit all are possible and many are probable.

2-4. Franson, Kulikov walk and Gorges is bought out. Replaced by Guhle, Antipin and a FA.

What happens to Big Z is we play Sam at center? I knew that some would think the 50% was an extreme number when I wrote the first post, but when you look at the moves I've mentioned I think most would admit all are possible and many are probable.

Many are probable on their own.  The entire scheme, though, is highly improbable.

I don't think GMTM/HDDCRGDDB are as down on Gorges as the fans. Larsssssson is a steep price to get Vegas to take Ennis; I hope GMTM doesn't toss assets with what, picks coming back? Ennis isn't much of an asset, but I think Larsson has some value. More value than Erod, in my eyes.

Doo, Who? Smith was just signed and Erod is an injury callup. Neither is considered a permanent part of the roster this season. Also neither were part of the original roster this season. Carrier is in IR but admittedly has played 39 games but also didn't make the team out of camp and isn't guaranteed a job next year either. Also just because a prospect plays some in Buffalo as a callup doesn't mean that they will take a Vets job next season.

Edited by yse325

As usual, yse well overstates his case, but there are certainly kernels of troof.

I would trade Larsson to Vegas to get them to take Moulson (not Ennis, because I see signs of life in Ennis, while Moulson is done like dinner).

I'm not sure what the cap implications are of a Gorges buyout, but it's certainly possible -- and yse is probably right that Franson and Kuli will both walk in FA.

I highly doubt that Kane is traded.

I mostly agree, but 50% is a bit aggressive.    

The bottom six are leftovers from the tank years and need to be expunged from the roster for this team to take the next step, but that won't happen in one offseason.      I see maybe 3 new regulars in the bottom six including Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste... maybe Smith, however, long term I don't see a future for him in the NHL.    I believe Nylander starts the season in Rochester, and finds his way up at least a few times during the season.    Rodriques belongs in Rochester.    Larsson was acquired in the Pominville trade orchestrated by Darcy Reiger... that said I think Murray leaves him unprotected in the expansion draft, or tries to deal him, he's not a Murray type of player.

3 new d-men would be nice, but realisitcally 2 is most likely... Guhle, a UFA, and if Murray can somehow swing a deal for a top 4 guy, that would be a ideal, but I don't see it happening unless he's willing to part some of his prized prospects/picks.    

The challenge for Murray is how to shed the awful contracts of Moulson, Bogosian, and Ennis.    I'm OK with Gorges as a 3rd pairing guy for another season.  

As usual, yse well overstates his case, but there are certainly kernels of troof.

I would trade Larsson to Vegas to get them to take Moulson (not Ennis, because I see signs of life in Ennis, while Moulson is done like dinner).

I'm not sure what the cap implications are of a Gorges buyout, but it's certainly possible -- and yse is probably right that Franson and Kuli will both walk in FA.

I highly doubt that Kane is traded.

The goal is to be thought provoking. Still, the only core change is the Kane for Vatanen trade. The rest are moves to replace high priced and/or ineffective vets with either younger internal talent, lower cost vets or better talent from outside. Seriously, if the Sabres replaced the bottom six forwards and all the D except Risto and McCabe would th fans really be so upset. Most would agree this would probably make the team better. That 10 players right there. If GMTM makes just 7-8 of the moves I've suggested, the team will be the better for it. I do agree the Moulson would be a preferred trade over Ennis.

Doo, Who? Smith was just signed and Erod is an injury callup. Neither is considered a permanent part of the roster this season. Also neither were part of the original roster this season. Carrier is in IR but admittedly has played 39 games but also didn't make the team out of camp and isn't guaranteed a job next year either. Also just because a prospect plays some in Buffalo as a callup doesn't mean that they will take a Vets job next season.

But Smith and Erod and Carrier and Bailey and Baptiste are all Sabres roster players.  This year.  Giving them a larger role next year is hardly "turnover."

I don't agree with your accounting system I guess.

Larsson was acquired in the Pominville trade orchestrated by Darcy Reiger... that said I think Murray leaves him unprotected in the expansion draft, or tries to deal him, he's not a Murray type of player.

He's a Murray type of player.  He's just not a player that was picked by Murray.

(sem)antics here.

I tend to agree that if players who played most of the season this year in Rochester and most / all of their games next season in Buffalo that counts a turnover in the roster, as the players that played most / all games in Buffalo this season won't be next year.

I like this thread.  It's very thought provoking, indeed.  Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for thoughts on the Sabres next season right now.

Hmmmmmm. 2 years into a rebuild, there is a suggestion to replace 50% of the roster in the coming off-season due to severe underperformance by the team.

The GM COULD do that. OR he could FIRE THE FRIGGIN' COACH.

Nobody ever fires all the players (well, nobody not already in their 15th season as GM, & even HE fired the coach before being shown the door for getting rid of all the players). When one needs to turn over 50% of the roster, the more productive move is to fire the coach.

Darcy got fired for tanking?

Yeah, no.

The most turnover I see is about 4.

Doo, I think 4 is the minimum. You have 4 UFAs, most of which doubtfully return, plus you are going to lose a roster player to expansion.

I mostly agree, but 50% is a bit aggressive.

We have 4 UFAs and are going to lose a roster player to expansion. That's 5 likely changes right there. Nilsson's return probably depends on whether Ullmark isn't lost to expansion.

The bottom six are leftovers from the tank years and need to be expunged from the roster for this team to take the next step, but that won't happen in one offseason. I see maybe 3 new regulars in the bottom six including Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste... maybe Smith, however, long term I don't see a future for him in the NHL. I believe Nylander starts the season in Rochester, and finds his way up at least a few times during the season. Rodriques belongs in Rochester. Larsson was acquired in the Pominville trade orchestrated by Darcy Reiger... that said I think Murray leaves him unprotected in the expansion draft, or tries to deal him, he's not a Murray type of player.

3 new d-men would be nice, but realisitcally 2 is most likely... Guhle, a UFA, and if Murray can somehow swing a deal for a top 4 guy, that would be a ideal, but I don't see it happening unless he's willing to part some of his prized prospects/picks.

The challenge for Murray is how to shed the awful contracts of Moulson, Bogosian, and Ennis. I'm OK with Gorges as a 3rd pairing guy for another season.

Two new Dmen are already on their way in Guhle and Antipin. Also I don't think GMTM will make the same mistakes twice. He'll have more experienced and hopefully better skating D depth next season. I also think he'll move heaven and earth to get a solid no 3 D. We also need depth scoring. I hope the kids can step into that role, but GMTM might try to find another McGinn type vet on a budget contract. Edited by yse325

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.