Reinhart Dressed and Benched; Late to Meeting

WildCard

This is the NHL. Why play a shortened bench on the second night of a back to back?

Funny that this move was basically the thing that eliminated us from the playoffs

Also are the teams punishments the same? If you're trying to build a culture, you have to treat everyone the same. No other player was dressed and benched for being late to a meeting.

If I'm Samson Ingo to GMTM and say either Dan isn't in Buffalo next year or I'm not.

Mike HarringtonVerified account @ByMHarrington 7h7 hours ago Embed Tweet

Mike Harrington Retweeted ictls1515

Good lord. I know. Only said it about 20 times.https://twitter.com/ictls1515/status/846931743580065794 

ictls1515 @ictls1515
@ByMHarrington Can you make a PSA that the sitting on the bench part was necessitated by Okposo illness, no other scratches, and CBA?

iN37fgmo_bigger.jpgJohn VoglVerified account @BuffNewsVogl 9h9 hours ago

Sam Reinhart violated team rule today as punishment was to sit whole game, coach Dan Bylsma says

Dave Davis @DaveDavisHockey 9h9 hours ago

Dave Davis Retweeted Mike Meiler

I swear some of them are going to blame him for Bobrovsky playing well. Everything bad goes back to him and nowhere else.

Mike Meiler @mikemeiler
Can't believe how many people are upset with Bylsma. There's a lot to criticize him for, but benching Reinhart isn't on that list

Dave Davis @DaveDavisHockey 9h9 hours ago

Judging the coach for punishment based on an internal team matter, when you don't know the whole story, is just a tad ridiculous. Be better.

I can't honestly say I disagree with anything in these Tweets. A 20 year old breaks a team rule this is what happens. If you can't punish him now, how are you going to deal with the team and him as time goes by. In fact I may RESPECT this decision even more because DDB does know he's on the hot seat and he still does the RIGHT thing for the team and the organization.

Edited by jsb

makes the punishment fit the crime.... ps a whole game in front of everyone. Please not respectful to the player or the team for being late. Hit him in his pocket. Reserve the shame bit for something a whole lot worse.

Im fine with a punishment just not this... Again bad coaching.

Rosters are expanded at the TD...unlimited.

True. But there are limited (non-emergency) moves between parent club & AHL club after the deadline & before the AHL club is done playing. Sabres had already burned most (all?) their moves bouncing guys around right after the deadline.

My question earlier was if the Sabres only had 21 no -injured & non-suspended skaters w/ them & that seems to be the case. The scratches were Okposo (sick), Ristolainen (suspended), Franson (injured), & Fedun (injured).

Still foolish of Bylsma to make him sit on the bench the whole game. Hopefully he gave Reinhart the option of being on the bench or dressing room after the start & Sam chose to support his team.

My follow up would be coaches that have done it in his position; a failing team with his job on the line after multiple reports of players dissatisfaction with him. I just feel like it's a terrible move on his part in terms of actually helping his own self preservation 

multiple reports from who? The press spinsters?

True. But there are limited (non-emergency) moves between parent club & AHL club after the deadline & before the AHL club is done playing. Sabres had already burned most (all?) their moves bouncing guys around right after the deadline.

My question earlier was if the Sabres only had 21 no -injured & non-suspended skaters w/ them & that seems to be the case. The scratches were Okposo (sick), Ristolainen (suspended), Franson (injured), & Fedun (injured).

Still foolish of Bylsma to make him sit on the bench the whole game. Hopefully he gave Reinhart the option of being on the bench or dressing room after the start & Sam chose to support his team.

Great point T.

I am glad he benched him, and made him watch. Want to act like a child, here ya go.

Edited by DirtDart

Antics!

Speaking of which, aren't Sam and ######-ice buds with Evander? Quite a line there, all three punished for violating team rules this season. Now add in ROR.

GMTM might have more roster concerns than finding D help.

Edit: Aren't Jack and Sam off-ice buds? Oh man.

Edited by PASabreFan

This is the NHL. Why play a shortened bench on the second night of a back to back?

Funny that this move was basically the thing that eliminated us from the playoffs

Also are the teams punishments the same? If you're trying to build a culture, you have to treat everyone the same. No other player was dressed and benched for being late to a meeting.

If I'm Samson Ingo to GMTM and say either Dan isn't in Buffalo next year or I'm not.

Or even better, if I'm Samson, I take my punishment like a man, learn from it and become a better player and team mate because of it.

Something tells me that that is the path he will take.

I have no issue whatsoever with there being a consequence for the violation of a team rule. Especially so if the players are clear on notice of what will happen if certain rules are violated (i.e., the punishment they're likely to face). Otherwise, why have the rules?

"Accountability" is a term that gets thrown around to so little effect with sports teams (I actually grow quite weary of it). But, if you're going to have accountability, then Reinhart needed to receive a consequence for what happened.

JFC - I feel like I'm talking about parenting here.

Anyway:

It happens more than you'd think. A quick Google search turned up benchings from Dallas, Ottawa, Philly, San Jose in the past year or so.

Like, actual benchings for an entire game?

This is the only problem I have. I don't ever recall this happening in the past -- punishing a player by having him dress but not play. Maybe, as you say, Reinhart asked to be on the bench with the guys.

I have no real worries about Reinhart as a young pro. SAM REINHART WILL BE FINE.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I completely agree with the benching of Samson.

He is a professional hockey player playing in the best league in the world.  He has to learn what that means.

I like that the coach did it knowing that there would be a lot of heat.  I like that he made him sit on the bench and watch, as it will re-enforce the message.

Samson will learn from this.

HE WILL BE FINE!!

"Accountability" is one thing, but you have to think some of the lack of "jump" from the team last night probably had to do with one of their own sitting morosely at the end of the bench, completely usable, and completely going to waste.

What player comes away from that experience thinking "I've got a coach who wants to win every night"?

Run What Ya Brung. 

Second night of a back to back. Unexpectedly down Okposo. Anybody think Bylsma has the stones to do this if we're in the thick of a playoff race? I sure don't. Faux accountability.

Course he wouldn't, this is all just for show. And if we can see that, so can the players

Second night of a back to back. Unexpectedly down Okposo. Anybody think Bylsma has the stones to do this if we're in the thick of a playoff race? I sure don't. Faux accountability.

Course he wouldn't, this is all just for show. And if we can see that, so can the players

Yup. It's wholly without substance. 

There is no way of knowing that.

And it doesn't change the fact that a message was sent.

I bet Samson is whining about this less than everyone here.

There is no way of knowing that.

And it doesn't change the fact that a message was sent.

I bet Samson is whining about this less than everyone here.

No message was sent Swamp. Because, like Blue said, if this were a playoff game, we all know Sam isn't sitting on the bench. He's playing. The message any player would be taking away from this is that the rules are made up, arbitrarily enforced, and ultimately have no real power behind them. 

If I rolled my eyes any harder my head would pop off. 

Punishment should fit the crime.

If it was truly being late to meeting, dressing and sitting ONE PERIOD would be substantial --- but entire game ??? --- it looked like a 9 year old told to sit in the corner, while the rest of the class had a pizza party --- again, punish, but, this is the most severe punishment I've seen over the past several years 

DD had to know that dressing and sitting would be viewed as more severe than a scratch and Sam in press box, or is he that tone deaf ???

EDIT: So, Harrington tweeted that DD had no choice but to dress Reinhart due to Okposo illness, CBA and no backups in town.  OK.  I get that, BUT, and this is huge BUT.  DD must still have the presence of mind to know that a dressed player sitting on bench and not playing is worse than in a suit and in press box.  As such, he should have said, look, normally you'd be a scratch and in press box, but given our very unique situation you need to dress and sit on bench.  Since that is MORE humiliating, you only have to sit for a period.

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

This is a reasonable take.  Like SwampD said, we don't know.

It's clear that the message is that the team is much more important than any one player.  You would always want your best team on the ice at all time, especially in a playoff race.

That said, the message is extremely important and I believe that in the thick of a playoff race Bylsma would have done the exact same thing.  I also believe that he would have the backing of Murray.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.