Reinhart Dressed and Benched; Late to Meeting

WildCard

I don't mind punishing a player when he breaks team rules, I think Samson should have been scratched a game.

But with your back against the wall it shouldn't have been this one, could have easily scratched him the next game instead of benching him on this one.

Samson probably got dressed, and maybe wanted to sit on the bench the entire game himself , don't know about that.

If your boss would humiliate you in front of your colleagues like this, he would have some explaining to do with your union rep (lets call him Gionta).

Now Imagine him doing it in front of 15.000 people...

2016-17 Swamp is a poster I'm hoping turns things around next year. It's like you're tanking.

Oh, brother. Get over yourself.

This gem tells me we can all use a little improvement.

It's only BS because you know you're wrong. 

That was deep.

If Okposo could have played last night this would have been a non-story. D-lo would have played in Sam's spot, Reinhart would sit out a meaningless game in March, and watch from the press box. Some people would have complained, at least one media member would have said "well, you know, some times its good to be able to watch a game, this could help him in the long term", and we'd all have forgotten by now.

But Okposo can't go, so their extra man has to play for him, and you don't call up a player from the AHL because of a last minute punishment, so now if DB wants to punish him he has to dress him to do it. Now instead of Sam sitting in the press box in a suit he's sitting on the bench by himself like he's a kindergartener who didn't bring enough gum for the whole class. The OPTICS of this are bad, the actual thing is silly. Kane sat out earlier in the year when he was late and I didn't hear anyone bitching about the punishment then, just about Kane being an idiot.

DB handled it extremely poorly. He could have: postponed the punishment a game, only sat him for a period (1 period dressed seems about as missing the game from the box to me), or even just mentioned it in the pre-game interview and it wouldn't have been half the problem it has been. 

Oh, brother. Get over yourself.

This gem tells me we can all use a little improvement.

That was deep.

The only argument you've had in any conversation involving Dan all year is:

1. Say something contrarian to everyone else

2. Don't back it up with anything

3. Tell everyone they're overreacting in a smarmy manner

Please, for the love of god, come with something better. We've been waiting all year for you. 

I'm not even going to try and quote anything said up to this point.

Discipline policies are well known.  No organization doesn't have them.

Reinhart had to dress.  Accept that.  You don't know WHY he was on the bench for the FULL game and it's dangerous to speculate. You can hypothesize a million different things but since none of it is provable at this point it doesn't support any of your points regardless of your point.

I firmly believe that Bylsma would have benched him if they were in a playoff race.  Failure to do so would only weaken his position as a coach. He might gain favor with 1 player but anger others.  Rules are written and rules are followed.

All of these players bust their to play at this level and want to succeed, every one of them.  They are a team and during a season they hold each other accountable. You will likely not hear it but I am sure more than 1 player has said something to Reinhart for his screw up.  There may be some who want to make excuses for him and if they then that concerns me.  There is no one to blame but Reinhart for this situation happening.

Think about what you are upset about and then distill it down to a good argument.  If you are mad because you hate Bylsma as a coach then accept other coaches who you might like have done the same thing to players that mean more to their team than Reinhart.  

If you are mad because he sat on the bench the whole game then accept you don't know WHY it happened so stop jumping to conclusions.

If you are mad because his punishment should have been delayed a game because it hurt the team you should ask yourself, who missed the meeting?  Who is responsible for being at the meeting?  Who controls Sam Reinhart? This is all one Sam Reinhart.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/alex-ovechkin-missed-a-game-because-he-set-his-alarm-for-p-m-instead-of-a-m

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ilya-kovalchuk-stripped-of-ska-captaincy-benched-for-two-more-games (not just in the NHL, and during the playoffs, and the captain no less)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/gaudreau-flames-players-benched-discipline-1.3442455 (this year, and during the Father's trip with the team)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/three-benched-calgary-flames-apologize-hartley-says-hes-moved-on/article28704283/ (references a benching of Seguin in the last game of the regular season when he could set a goal record)

Point is... players screw up, they get benched and they hold themselves accountable. 

You want to find a fact?  Try and find out why Reinhart was on the bench the whole game.  That's all I would want to know at this point.

Because he was late to one meeting? All of have heard is that he works his tail off, puts in extra time and has a professional attitude.

Do you know it was being late to a single meeting?  Maybe he's let him slide previously but it became too apparent that Sam's a bit of a slouch when it comes to meetings and the time to address it is NOW.  We really don't know much, but we (all of us on the forum, the Buffalo press, and the intarwebz at large) seem to have no problem filling in the details with speculation.

The only argument you've had in any conversation involving Dan all year is:

1. Say something contrarian to everyone else

2. Don't back it up with anything

3. Tell everyone they're overreacting in a smarmy manner

Please, for the love of god, come with something better. We've been waiting all year for you. 

The only one I would disagree with is number 1. There are plenty of people who agree with me.

Mmmmm, salty.

I'm not even going to try and quote anything said up to this point.

Discipline policies are well known.  No organization doesn't have them.

Reinhart had to dress.  Accept that.  You don't know WHY he was on the bench for the FULL game and it's dangerous to speculate. You can hypothesize a million different things but since none of it is provable at this point it doesn't support any of your points regardless of your point.

I firmly believe that Bylsma would have benched him if they were in a playoff race.  Failure to do so would only weaken his position as a coach. He might gain favor with 1 player but anger others.  Rules are written and rules are followed.

All of these players bust their ###### to play at this level and want to succeed, every one of them.  They are a team and during a season they hold each other accountable. You will likely not hear it but I am sure more than 1 player has said something to Reinhart for his screw up.  There may be some who want to make excuses for him and if they then that concerns me.  There is no one to blame but Reinhart for this situation happening.

Think about what you are upset about and then distill it down to a good argument.  If you are mad because you hate Bylsma as a coach then accept other coaches who you might like have done the same thing to players that mean more to their team than Reinhart.  

If you are mad because he sat on the bench the whole game then accept you don't know WHY it happened so stop jumping to conclusions.

If you are mad because his punishment should have been delayed a game because it hurt the team you should ask yourself, who missed the meeting?  Who is responsible for being at the meeting?  Who controls Sam Reinhart? This is all one Sam Reinhart.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/alex-ovechkin-missed-a-game-because-he-set-his-alarm-for-p-m-instead-of-a-m

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/ilya-kovalchuk-stripped-of-ska-captaincy-benched-for-two-more-games (not just in the NHL, and during the playoffs, and the captain no less)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/gaudreau-flames-players-benched-discipline-1.3442455 (this year, and during the Father's trip with the team)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/three-benched-calgary-flames-apologize-hartley-says-hes-moved-on/article28704283/ (references a benching of Seguin in the last game of the regular season when he could set a goal record)

Point is... players screw up, they get benched and they hold themselves accountable. 

You want to find a fact?  Try and find out why Reinhart was on the bench the whole game.  That's all I would want to know at this point.

In the end, the optics matter.  They matter A LOT.

If everything you say is true, i.e. there is more to this then we know, then it's incumbent on DD to tell more of the story.  His failure to do that creates the very narrative that this punishment was excessive.

In this case, like most, perception equals reality.

If DD really wanted to punish Sam to show the team, he could have just as easily handled it in private in the sanctity of the locker room with only the players.  DD chose a public shaming, he chose it for a reason, and in the end, that choice is what's most troubling to me !!

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

If my boss humiliated me in front of my colleagues like that I wouldn't work harder for him, I'd want him fired

Perhaps, but what if he merely needed to be on the bench at the start of the game, and *chose* to stay there the whole game to show support for his teammates?  What if he recognized that his transgression warranted sitting out a game and doesn't hold it against DD that he was punished?  What if he has more character in the tip of his finger than you have in your whole body?

(And what if Syndey Crosby slashed that character right off his hand?!  :( )

In the end, the optics matter.  They matter A LOT.

If everything you say is true, i.e. there is more to this then we know, then it's incumbent on DD to tell more of the story.  His failure to do that creates the very narrative that this punishment was excessive.

In this case, like most, perception equals reality.

If DD really wanted to punish Sam to show the team, he could have just as easily handled it in private in the sanctity of the locker room with only the players.  DD chose a public shaming, he chose it for a reason, and in the end, that choice is what's most troubling to me !!

Who do optics matter to?  You?  Because right now you and I know the same amount about the situation and I certainly don't feel the same way.  Whose reality are we in?

Look at the quotes in those articles. Trotz called Ovechkin not playing for "personal reasons" and Ovechkin owned the alarm clock.  

Finally, you are not accepting the fact that Reinhart had to dress and be on the bench.  You can't not accept that.  The Okposo sickness happened late enough that Reinhart had to dress.  No one is debating that.  Even IF you want to debate why the Sabres didn't have another player ready you can't put that on this situation.

What GM or Coach sits around and says, "Hey, I should have this player scratched most nights just in case I have a player who misses a meeting and another who gets ill right at the last minute?"  Doesn't happen. 

LTS hit the nail on the head.

An esteemed member of the new core F'd up and was punished for it. It is on Sam and Sam only. If there were a way it could be proven I'd bet Sam is dwelling on it less than we are and has moved on from it.

And if he hasn't I seriously question his suitability for the role on the core we expect him to have.

LTS hit the nail on the head.

An esteemed member of the new core F'd up and was punished for it. It is on Sam and Sam only. If there were a way it could be proven I'd bet Sam is dwelling on it less than we are and has moved on from it.

And if he hasn't I seriously question his suitability for the role on the core we expect him to have.

I don't doubt this is all true. 

I just find Bylsma's methods overly simplistic and likely ineffective. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.