Reinhart Dressed and Benched; Late to Meeting

WildCard

There have been reports from P Ham, Harrington and Jeremy White that there is trouble with certain players in the locker room with DB.

Both Friedman and Mc Kenzie have reported that it's a disconnect between the vets and the younger players.

I hate the media for spewing out all kinds of garbage.

What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room ... it's like Vegas.

No message was sent Swamp. Because, like Blue said, if this were a playoff game, we all know Sam isn't sitting on the bench. He's playing. The message any player would be taking away from this is that the rules are made up, arbitrarily enforced, and ultimately have no real power behind them. 

If I rolled my eyes any harder my head would pop off. 

If, if, if. It wasn't a playoff game or even a playoff push game.  They sat Kane for being late to a practice. Bylsma has to be consistent with punishment.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree, who knows what really happened here, as there could be things behind the scenes that were building up and led to this because he was late to a meeting. And how late was he? Details are needed to give this proper perspective

Gionta, "by no means was it something huge"

Punishment should fit crime.  I'd ask entire board to identify the last time they know of any player sitting dressed and on bench entire game for disciplinary reasons ??  I'd then ask, to list all the infractions other players on this team and other teams have committed that were as bad or worse than being late to a team meeting.

Again, you are dealing with a 20-year old.  Sit him for a period, then let him play and prove to his teammates and coaches that he learned his lesson

I hate this coach

It appears Dan never *had* the locker room, and now as a last ditch effort he is trying to assume some control in a way that even Lindy era coaches thought where detrimental to the team.

I hate the media for spewing out all kinds of garbage.

What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room ... it's like Vegas.

Then our coach failed miserably on your second part. If that is true, and a code that players live by, than Dan needed to something that wasn't so stupid.

It's only BS because you know you're wrong.

Breaking news: Game 75 in a season missing the playoffs has the same value as a playoff game!

Take note: If you have players with nagging injuries that should just sit the rest of the season, well, no no no, d4rk says play them.

I'll throw this out there:  at the high school where my wife teaches, the basketball team made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.  Prior to their first playoff game, their best player had some discipline issues.  The coach didn't play him... and the team won.  They ended up with a pretty deep run into the playoffs, losing at the state semi-finals.

Some will argue that HS basketball is nothing like NHL hockey in terms of the stakes involved, but I would counter that this HS coach, in only his second year, went out on  a limb with his personal career and livelihood to send a message.  He's not making guaranteed millions like Dan, he's being paid something in the neighborhood of $100k, and if he gets fired, there's no guaranteed contract.

I guess my point is that I could see where DD might actually, in the thick of a playoff race, have done the same thing with Sam (or another offending player) that he did last night.

Why? What has Bylsma done in the past to make you believe he'd have the courage of his convictions in that situation? I haven't seen anything to expect that. Am I missing something?

Breaking news: Game 75 in a season missing the playoffs has the same value as a playoff game!

Take note: If you have players with nagging injuries that should just sit the rest of the season, well, no no no, d4rk says play them.

You want to talk about false equivalencies...  :rolleyes:

Second night of a back to back. Unexpectedly down Okposo. Anybody think Bylsma has the stones to do this if we're in the thick of a playoff race? I sure don't. Faux accountability.

Anybody think 23 is late to a meeting if the team were in the thick of a playoff race?

No message was sent Swamp. Because, like Blue said, if this were a playoff game, we all know Sam isn't sitting on the bench. He's playing. The message any player would be taking away from this is that the rules are made up, arbitrarily enforced, and ultimately have no real power behind them. 

If I rolled my eyes any harder my head would pop off. 

That seems a bit extreme.

That game seemed winnable last night, even though Buffalo was down their top defenseman and two of their top six forwards. Maybe one of those guys could have made the difference in a loss that officially knocked the Sabres out of the playoffs.

But Blysma needed to teach a guy a lesson for BEING LATE toba meeting. Sitting him a shift, or a powerplay, or period wasn't enough. I guess the only way to drive the message home for a malcontent like Rinehart (who's been played out of position for two years with no complaint), is to embarrass him publically while the team goes down in defeat.

Blysma's an idiot. There's a reason none of the stars in Pittsburgh stepped up to back him when he was fired. There's a way to handle this. Alienating a young star and losing a game was not the way to do it.

If you get yourself to the Sabrespace meetup next year, I'll wear a cardigan with patches. I promise.

I almost surprised you all this year, but March proved to be March again this year and I just could not swing being unchained from my desk for a few days.

We should do the next meetup in August ...  ;)

How about you just try to make the tenuous argument you're positing all on your own without fishing, eh?

It's not tenuous to say that a playoff game (or even a close playoff race game) in no way equates to last night's game. You'll never admit that because then you have to hate DD just a little less,... and I can respect that.

Edited by SwampD

It's not tenuous to say that a playoff game in no way equates to last night's game. You'll never admit that because then you have to hate DD just a little less,... and I can respect that.

Playoffs don't equate to the regular season. But...that doesn't matter if you're in the "rules are rules" camp. The team rules don't change in the playoffs. So pick one. Do the rules matter or not?

Playoffs don't equate to the regular season. But...that doesn't matter if you're in the "rules are rules" camp. The team rules don't change in the playoffs. So pick one. Do the rules matter or not?

Since I (or anybody else here) don't even know what the rules are (if they are even written anywhere), I would say that the punishment fit the crime. If the same thing happened during the playoffs, I would say that missing even just a couple of shifts would be a punishment that fit the crime, because the playoffs mean more.

The bottom line is that I doubt Samson, or anyone else are going to be late for any meetings any time soon. Message sent and received.

Edited by SwampD

Since I (or anybody else here) don't even know what the rules are (if they are even written anywhere), I would say that the punishment fit the crime. If the same thing happened during the playoffs, I would say that missing even just a couple of shifts would be a punishment that fit the crime, because the playoffs mean more.

The bottom line is that I doubt Samson, or anyone else are not going to be late for any meetings any time soon. Message sent and received.

"Punishment fitting the crime" is a lazy argument in favor of a lazy punishment. I contend as before that a smarter coach, who is more in tune with building a culture of winning as well as individual accountability, finds a way to come up with a better punishment that does more than just "fit the crime".

Last night was overly simplistic BS that only serves to reinforce how much of a dope Bylsma is. I know you don't agree because you've drunk the Kool aid. But Dan Bylsma is stupid.

You know what is truly amazing in all of this?

It only took Bylsma 3 days to put a serious dent in the positivity MODO's trip had brought to this place. :angry:

For that crime alone, Dan must go.

:censored:

~6 months of planning & good will shot down in 1 evening. :censored:

Edited by Taro T

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.