Risto has hearing for his hit

spndnchz

I tend to think that Risto got what he deserved. It was a brutal (and glorious) hit. that guy; he's a Penguin. Where I get miffed is when I've seen worse hits get much less or nothing at all, but I guess that's just sour grapes.

Cindy will get nothing. Tkatchyuk got 2 but Calgary is in the hunt. The NHL is tied to the Rogers tv contract and will do nothing that may hurt that. Last year when no CA teams made the playoffs viewership was down 45%. Matthews to TO, Laine to the Peg, McDavid to Edmonton. Coincidence? Yeah keep telling yourself that.

Cindy will get nothing. Tkatchyuk got 2 but Calgary is in the hunt. The NHL is tied to the Rogers tv contract and will do nothing that may hurt that. Last year when no CA teams made the playoffs viewership was down 45%. Matthews to TO, Laine to the Peg, McDavid to Edmonton. Coincidence? Yeah keep telling yourself that.

I agree. On all of it.

Cindy almost slashed off a piece of Mehats finger in his game today, really gross.............No penalty on the play

Risto was not a repeat offender.  I do agree w/ Risto being suspended, but 3 games is too much.  Drop it to 2 games.  In the video the NHL did say w/ Risto going backwards it limited his mobility.    

Edited by GoPre

the nhl has had this mind bottlingly inconsistent punishment for many decades. ive always expected they would fix it eventually but they never have. its like a tradition or something: remove the superstars from punishment consideration and spin a wheel to determine number of games for everybody else

btw, when i used to play in mens rec leagues there were guys who liked to do that thing with putting the blade of their stick up between your cup and your balls. its infuriating bc you have to stop skating or risk injury, and the refs hardly never call it bc there is no overt motion that makes them aware of it. of course its also a super dirty play. idk what its like in the nhl but there are plenty of retaliations i used to use. the most obvious is just whacking them firmly in the balls the next time you get the chance, which gets the message across but that risks a penalty. and you cant just do the same thing they did to you bc that sort of legitimizes it and they will never stop. a better way is the next time you get close enough to make body contact with them choke up on the butt end of your stick and leave it out so that it digs firmly into their ribs. then when they protest that you hurt their ribs just tell them the next time they put their stick near your balls youre going to break those ribs. never had to do that more than once with anybody

Edited by Meathead

I didn't like Risto's hit. It looked to me like he was headhunting and targeted the smaller and inexperienced Guentzel from across the ice...it reminded me a bit like McCabe's blind hit of Laine.. Both never saw them coming and never had a chance. They both looked up and then got destroyed. I hate to see hits that lead to concussions. I've had at least five of them. As commissioner, I give Risto a 3 game suspension.

The fact that you've had 5 concussions and then post this is clearly why you would not be in charge of things.  Your life experiences, as unfortunate as they are, have to be excluded from your judgment.  McCabe's hit is 100% legal in the game and if he doesn't make that hit he's not earning a paycheck for very long in this league. It's the NHL, you are going to get hit.  The Ristolainen hit and the result is all on Ristolainen.  Sure, IF the puck gets to the player then it's a clean hit and we're all jacked over it.  But he did put himself into a position to not be able to avoid the hit and because the puck never reached the player he's whistled for interference and ejected from the game.  The appropriate call.  The problem is that it is, in no way, a suspendable offense.  There was no intent to injure, it WOULD have been a clean hit.  There's a certain level of misfortune in the puck being intercepted but the truth is that if it weren't Guentzel is on the ice and there's no penalty, just a stupid fight.

Because he made a poor choice to lead with his back, and thus didn't allow himself to be in a position to stop, it's all Risto's fault.

3 games

It is his fault, just not a 3 game suspension relative to the other discipline that gets handed out in this league.

I'd have a lot less issue with three games if Tkachuk didn't get two.

And that's the problem.  Here you have a rookie punk elbowing a star in the head which is ALWAYS illegal and he only gets two.

"The Department of Player Safety has determined that due to the enormous size of O'Reilly's balls, Sidney Crosby's stick could not avoid striking them. Sidney Crosby has been suspended for zero games."

Thank God for Kane's tooth pick of Crosby's front teeth, cant wait to see Ottawa meet of with Cindy in playoffs, need to an AHLer take him out.

Do something more powerful and stop watching or attending games. I checked out weeks ago. I've actually fast forwarded through just about every win and not bothered to watch the losses. The NHL is a clown show and doesn't deserve my time or money.

Wow, great minds but minus the calf's of course. .

Yep, this is pretty much where I have been for the last several weeks as well. It just has not been an entertaining product anymore. First-most with the way DD has the Sabers play and then the consistently in-consistent on ice officiating. I see it in many other games on center ice. I am firmly in the if DD returns next year crowd I drop CI package.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.