Should GMTM Keep His Job?

GASabresIUFAN

I'd like to know just how many games we've actually outshot and outchanced another team

I don't have score-adjusted corsi, but we have out-corsi'd our opponents 20 times in 72 games. We out-chanced other teams 26 times in 72 games.

No question we get out shot every night and sometimes badly, our possession numbers stink, and we are slow defensively, but the gap is not nearly as bad as people think. The season numbers are 34.3 to 30.2. 4 shots a game isn't giving up 2 to 1.

It is third-worst in the league, .1 per game better than the Avalanche who are second-worst. 4.1 per game worse than the 15th ranked team in the league in that regard. It's terrible given any context. 

Wildcard your wish is my command, at least partly.

Record when we outshoot our opponent. 7-11-3

Record when we are outshot. 21-19-7

Record even shots. 1-1-2

Record even shots. 1-1-2

So, it looks to me that the Sabres have not been giving up enough shots.

Based on the above I would say our goalies are outstanding.

We have what? 3 bad contracts? And 2 of them really aren't terrible. You want bad contracts? Lucic, Ladd, Brown, DiPietro, any goalie in Dallas

I'd argue 4 are bad.

Ennis, Moulson, Bogo, Gorges taking up $19 mil, over 25% of our cap and none of then come off the books after this season.

That's a quarter of your cap going to players who don't contribute offensively and IMO are largely a defensive liability.

Would you rather have those 4 players or 2-3 O'Reilly level players who will have a positive influence.

Edited by pi2000

I'd argue 4 are bad.

Ennis, Moulson, Bogo, Gorges taking up $19 mil, over 25% of our cap and none of then come off the books after this season.

That's a quarter of your cap going to players who don't contribute offensively and IMO are largely a defensive liability.

Would you rather have those 4 players or 2-3 O'Reilly level players who will have a positive influence.

The only reason I didn't list Gorges is because he has one year left can be waived or bought to create more room this season or even if he returns, he comes off the books when we need the cap space in 2018.

Record even shots. 1-1-2

So, it looks to me that the Sabres have not been giving up enough shots.

Based on the above I would say our goalies are outstanding.

It be interesting to run those for other teams. It wouldn't surprise me if teams are often out-shot in wins as the losing team throws everything at the net in the third to try to tie it up. I'd also bet the Sabres' is among the more drastic differences with the Ala-mode system that goes into place once we're up by a goal.

Toronto's defense is a disaster (Reilly isn't even that good and he's by far their best) and up front they are getting a pile of milage from players playing way over their heads (see Kadri)...clearly it takes a good coach to, if nothing else, find the players individual strengths and use them to that strength. we have Blysma trying to get everyone to play one system and that is sit back and hang on for dear life...oh by the way, it ain't working just as it isn't with Lindy in dallas who try the exact same thing

ive said it before and I'll say it again. Toronto has been good but EXTREMELY fortunate this year. Look at the injuries they've dealt with compared to the Sabres and most every other team. Im still surprised that Babcock is thought as the best coach in the universe but still has his D playing like chickens with their heads cut off in year 2 of him behind the bench.

ive said it before and I'll say it again. Toronto has been good but EXTREMELY fortunate this year. Look at the injuries they've dealt with compared to the Sabres and most every other team. Im still surprised that Babcock is thought as the best coach in the universe but still has his D playing like chickens with their heads cut off in year 2 of him behind the bench.

I'd be curious to hear your top 5

While not trying to derail the topic, I have to give Babdick credit where credit is due. His defense might be a mess right now, but he is coaching a completely different game than Goober is. He's letting these guys go out and do what they do best, make the mistakes let them screw up and then use practices to discuss what they're doing wrong. It has lead to an exciting season for them, and entertaining hockey. Despite numerous blowouts and tons of blown leads. They've also blown out teams and scored bunches of goals. 

I'm sure he was under the impression that this wasn't going to be a playoff year and planned to do this. They'll be better in the long run because of it. Goober, on the other hand, isn't letting the Sabres do anything they're good at. He's afraid to make mistakes, and he coaches accordingly. The young guys will never learn, and we'll never see their potential as long as he is here. 

With that said, I'll stick by my post I made earlier about Murray. He's put together a team that's much better than we think. He deserves at least another year. Unless Goober is still here next year, then he needs to be fired. 

While not trying to derail the topic, I have to give Babdick credit where credit is due. His defense might be a mess right now, but he is coaching a completely different game than Goober is. He's letting these guys go out and do what they do best, make the mistakes let them screw up and then use practices to discuss what they're doing wrong. It has lead to an exciting season for them, and entertaining hockey. Despite numerous blowouts and tons of blown leads. They've also blown out teams and scored bunches of goals. 

I'm sure he was under the impression that this wasn't going to be a playoff year and planned to do this. They'll be better in the long run because of it. Goober, on the other hand, isn't letting the Sabres do anything they're good at. He's afraid to make mistakes, and he coaches accordingly. The young guys will never learn, and we'll never see their potential as long as he is here. 

With that said, I'll stick by my post I made earlier about Murray. He's put together a team that's much better than we think. He deserves at least another year. Unless Goober is still here next year, then he needs to be fired.

This is where I'm at as well.

I don't have score-adjusted corsi, but we have out-corsi'd our opponents 20 times in 72 games. We out-chanced other teams 26 times in 72 games.

It is third-worst in the league, .1 per game better than the Avalanche who are second-worst. 4.1 per game worse than the 15th ranked team in the league in that regard. It's terrible given any context.

The outchanced stat is the more critical stat. You can win games in which you have been outshot especially if you can find away to get the lead early and which we haven't done well. In fact we have one lead after 1 period 24 times and after the 2nd period 24 times. However, you consistently win games if the other teams always gets more legit scoring opportunities.

Hmmm. Are we back to the "timeline"? Unlike MB, did DD coach like this was supposed to be a playoff year, and choked on it?

Hmmm. Are we back to the "timeline"? Unlike MB, did DD coach like this was supposed to be a playoff year, and choked on it?

I don't think so, because I believe Babdick is coaching so that the way they play now, is the way they play in the future. Only recognizing the mistakes and correcting them. 

If Goober is playing like this assuming this was a playoff year, he's going about it the wrong way because he certainly isn't using their talents to their advantage. 

Is it coincidence that since both Murrays are gone from the Senators that they are now improved and a solid playoff team?

I think you know the answer is "most likely", if only because of the many different variables.

Also, did they not miss the playoffs last year but make them the year before? Didn't they win a series in 2013?

GMTM should probably keep his job for continuity sake. I don't have any confidence whatsoever in the way the Pegulas make decisions, whether management or otherwise. Last time Buffalo looked for a GM, there was that humiliating Lafontaine fiasco.

One thing for certain, the best people avoid or somehow get out of coming to Buffalo... so the Sabres are going to have to take either a young or foreign up-and-coming GM or a middling retread off the pile of GMs that have failed elsewhere. 

So we still have the $10 million dollar locker room with a 25 cent team.

Edited by Marvelo

Ottawa is better today because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Were they also worse last year because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Really Yse, it's one thing to dislike Murray and/or his moves, but this has become a crusade.

Ottawa is better today because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Were they also worse last year because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Really Yse, it's one thing to dislike Murray and/or his moves, but this has become a crusade.

A tiresome, boring crusade.

Did they aquire a whole bunch of new players the last two seasons?

I went and looked. They got a new coach, Phaneauf and Brassard this year. So some significant changes but not overly so.

What is interesting and this bodes well for us long-term is that 4 key guys were late rd gems drafted by Tim including Hoffman, Stone, Dzingel and Pageau. On a sour note he was behind the Ryan for Silfverberg and Ritchie trade.

Reminds me of what we are seeing here. Good drafting but questionable trades.

Edited by yse325