Should GMTM Keep His Job?

GASabresIUFAN

He'll get to hire one more coach. He won't get to hire the one after that.

We've come along way from the days of ZFG irrational exhuberance. Although we still have a good bit of that directed elsewhwere on a team that has shown nothing.

Now we've got a lot of people that have irrationally gone the other way on GMTM.

Now we've got a lot of people that have irrationally gone the other way on GMTM.

It's not irrational.  In this case there is actual performance to base it on.  the lack of team progress in a key year is troubling.

I'm firmly in the "You've got one offseason left to prove you deserve the job" camp.  He appears to have drafted reasonably well, but time will tell.  But I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt that he has pro player evaluation chops anymore.  And I say that fully understanding that signings like Moulson were all about the cap floor.

Edited by We've

It's not irrational. In this case there is actual performance to base it on. the lack of team progress in a key year is troubling.

I'm firmly in the "You've got one offseason left to prove you deserve the job" camp. He appears to have drafted reasonably well, but time will tell. But I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt that he has pro player evaluation chops anymore. And I say that fully understanding that signings like Moulson were all about the cap floor.

It is. You can pretend that the Dan Bylsma doesn't exist or isn't a problem, but he does and is. I'm all for being down on Murray because he hired Bylsma and kept him around too long, but most of the angst is about the D.

It would've been nice if Murray pulled off a Fowler trade last summer, but he didn't like the price. Who knows if that was a good move or not? I blame Dan for not putting Kulikov in a position to succeed.

It is. You can pretend that the Dan Bylsma doesn't exist or isn't a problem, but he does and is. I'm all for being down on Murray because he hired Bylsma and kept him around too long, but most of the angst is about the D.

It would've been nice if Murray pulled off a Fowler trade last summer, but he didn't like the price. Who knows if that was a good move or not? I blame Dan for not putting Kulikov in a position to succeed.

I do too....but I don't blame Dan for Kulikov breaking his ass and being unable to skate. And even healthy, Kulikov is more of a low-end 2nd pair guy than a real solution, and that's on Murray.

Bylsma and a flawed roster that has been called fragile by teammates 3 times now.  GM needs to be part of the finger pointing.

He'll get to hire one more coach. He won't get to hire the one after that.

We've come along way from the days of ZFG irrational exhuberance. Although we still have a good bit of that directed elsewhwere on a team that has shown nothing.

Knock it off with the ebonics.

You, I like you

Bylsma and a flawed roster that has been called fragile by teammates 3 times now.  GM needs to be part of the finger pointing.

They're only fragile because they're coach is. Pittsburgh had the exact same complaints about being fragile. I've linked the article a bunch of times from their playoff series

Is the roster flawed? No doubt. Is it outshot 2-1 every night blow 3 goal leads flawed? Hell no. It's the same damn roster Toronto has, if not better

You, I like you

They're only fragile because they're coach is. Pittsburgh had the exact same complaints about being fragile. I've linked the article a bunch of times from their playoff series

Is the roster flawed? No doubt. Is it outshot 2-1 every night blow 3 goal leads flawed? Hell no. It's the same damn roster Toronto has, if not better

This team is performing at tank level.  It's not Ron Rolston behind the bench.  Or Ted Nolan.  The roster isn't what you think it is.

This team is performing at tank level.  It's not Ron Rolston behind the bench.  Or Ted Nolan.  The roster isn't what you think it is.

Hahahah seriously? Do we have to go back and dig up Flagg's post on the defense difference alone? 

This is a playoff roster

Hahahah seriously? Do we have to go back and dig up Flagg's post on the defense difference alone? 

This is a playoff roster

I agree that tactics are an issue.  I don't agree that we have a playoff roster. 

The man in the last two years or so has brought in Kane, ROR, Okposo and basically gave up nothing at this point for them. Maybe one of the draft picks he traded away becomes a player but at this point not one has.

He devised a plan to bring us Eichel and Reinhart.

He has 3 of the top ranked prospects outside of the NHL in Pu, Nylander, Asplund

His 2nd round pick in 2015 is looking like he is going to be a key member of the team in a year or two

He brought in a goalie that is among the league leaders in Sv% and has played behind a flawed and injury plagued d corps

I honestly can't think of anyone who I'd rather have in charge to fix the defence. Please don't bring up pysyk and McNabb - neither of them or anything more than a bottom pair player on a good team.

. Totally disagree, it's coming but was never a team that would be a bubble playoff team this season

We've been outside of the playoffs by 2 points multiple times this season. And then we blow 2 goal leads and lose 3 in a row vs possession teams like the Bruins. This is a playoff roster. Maybe one that gets slaughtered in the first round, but there is no way in hell we don't have a roster that is as good if not better than at least half the league 

We've been outside of the playoffs by 2 points multiple times this season. And then we blow 2 goal leads and lose 3 in a row vs possession teams like the Bruins. This is a playoff roster. Maybe one that gets slaughtered in the first round, but there is no way in hell we don't have a roster that is as good if not better than at least half the league

You dont consider the fact that they couldn't close the deal multiple times is a sign that they don't belong? I don't know how you couldn't.

They've melted every time they were close. That's a pretty clear sign.

Edited by We've

You dont consider the fact that they couldn't close the deal multiple times is a sign that they don't belong? I don't know how you couldn't.

They've melted every time they were close. That's a pretty clear sign.

It's a sign of a bad couch. 

It's a sign of a bad couch.

Yeah, Jack needs new furniture too.

Is it a bad couch that got them close too? He desreves as mich credit for getting close as the players do. And as much blame when they fold.

Edited by We've

I agree that tactics are an issue. I don't agree that we have a playoff roster.

Have you seen the talent on the Canes and Leafs? We're so much better on paper, yet so so much worse on the ice. It's too significant to be written off as our players not being as good as we thought they were. Especially when every single player acquired from elsewhere's stats have dropped significantly with Bylsma.

Yeah, Jack needs new furniture too.

Is it a bad couch that got them close too?

You want to give Bylsma credit for them being .500?

Have you seen the talent on the Canes and Leafs? We're so much better on paper, yet so so much worse on the ice. It's too significant to be written off as our players not being as good as we thought they were. Especially when every single player acquired from elsewhere's stats have dropped significantly with Bylsma.

Not too mention that Kadri and JVR are suddenly Selke candidates and completely revived. Wonder who's responsible for that...

Same happened under Ruff when the team lost its soul. Hmmm.....

You want to give Bylsma credit for them being .500?

Not too mention that Kadri and JVR are suddenly Selke candidates and completely revived. Wonder who's responsible for that...

Im not giving anyone on this team any credit. The whole thing top to bottom is flawed.

Same happened under Ruff when the team lost its soul. Hmmm.....

Im not giving anyone on this team any credit. The whole thing top to bottom is flawed.

Except when Ruff left, only 1-2 of those players from that team amounted to anything afterwards. Okposo has been a consistent 2 way forward his entire career. He posted the worst possession stats of his career this year, second only to his rookie year. O'Reilly? Goes from averaging a 50% Corsi for his career, including the 43% his rookie year, to a sub par 48% as a Sabre.

Players come here and get worse. Other coaches go to new teams with the same players there and those players get better. That's not a coincidence