Should GMTM Keep His Job?

GASabresIUFAN

Except when Ruff left, only 1-2 of those players from that team amounted to anything afterwards. Okposo has been a consistent 2 way forward his entire career. He posted the worst possession stats of his career this year, second only to his rookie year. O'Reilly? Goes from averaging a 50% Corsi for his career, including the 43% his rookie year, to a sub par 48% as a Sabre.

Players come here and get worse. Other coaches go to new teams with the same players there and those players get better. That's not a coincidence

It is also not a coincidence that a collection of vets from long term losing organizations haven't been able to guide the kids to become winners.

Our style is just so obviously wrong for our roster. We have good forwards and a suspect D core, lets spend our games in a defensive posture. It's so stupid.

It is also not a coincidence that a collection of vets from long term losing organizations haven't been able to guide the kids to become winners.

lol

They play the system they're given.

Edited by WildCard

This is Darcy at his finest. Micro-analyzing the fine detail of a trade to maximize value.

I want our GM to identify talent and go get it.

If Murray has identified Lehner as the top goalie in the market and taking on Legwand's salary is the difference between getting him or not, and I can afford that salary, then I take the salary.

And then burn Murray at the stake for misevaluating Lehner. I like post and am really sad that Qwk is the one that gets to cuddle with Blue at the meet-up.

As True points out, GMTM can no longer just through money and assets at the problem. He is going to be more cap and asset wise going forward as he has spent to the cap, stuck us wth bad contracts and traded away many of our prospects and picks. This isn't to say the cupboard is bare, but a more shrewd use of the cap and PPP is warranted going forward and it is a skill GMTM has yet to display and something Regier had in an over-abundance. Edited by yse325

As True points out, GMTM can no longer just through money and assets at the problem. He is going to be more cap and asset wise going forward as he has spent to the cap, stuck us wth bad contracts and traded away many of our prospects and picks.

We have what? 3 bad contracts? And 2 of them really aren't terrible. You want bad contracts? Lucic, Ladd, Brown, DiPietro, any goalie in Dallas

We have what? 3 bad contracts? And 2 of them really aren't terrible. You want bad contracts? Lucic, Ladd, Brown, DiPietro, any goalie in Dallas

Moulson, Ennis and Bogo are pretty horrible contracts, that take up 20% of our cap. Gorges sucks as well, but at least it's a reasonable buy out.

Moulson, Ennis and Bogo are pretty horrible contracts, that take up 20% of our cap. Gorges sucks as well, but at least it's a reasonable buy out.

Ennis and Bogo have what? 3 more years? Ennis is a pretty moveable contract too

Did GMTM even give Ennis that deal?

As bad as we were I don't think you fire a GM 3 off seasons in.  You have to give the draft picks time to develop. 

I think he gets that time (at least 2 more off seasons) and the opportunity to pick one more coach.  Then it all has to come together to keep his job. 

Ennis was signed when we had nobody signed and GMTM had cleaned house and we needed contracts to reach the minimum cap level way back when...then we suddenly started signing other guys and drafting good players and now that deal seems rather silly. In GMTM's defense, at the time Ennis looked like a very good player, but under Blysma (like many others) he is being held back and (like so many others) looks so unsure and lost at many points throughout any given game  

Is the timing not a big factor here? If ownership has any doubt that Murray is the guy (and they should have doubts), then how could all this play out if they let Murray fire Bylsma? Murray hires a new coach, who is then an ex-coach in one or two seasons when they have to fire Murray? Almost seems like Murray and Bylsma have to stay or go as a couple.

I think it has bubble team skill level.  I also think there is an intangibles problem.

There IS an intangibles problem, and it stands behind the middle of the bench every single game.

The '89 Bills had an intangibles problem. The got rid of Smerlas & Devlin & the team immediately went to 4 straight Superbowls. This team is too young to be in the Finals next season, but get rid of Bylsma & a TON of dysfunction goes away.

Have you seen the talent on the Canes and Leafs? We're so much better on paper, yet so so much worse on the ice. It's too significant to be written off as our players not being as good as we thought they were. Especially when every single player acquired from elsewhere's stats have dropped significantly with Bylsma.

On paper, how many times have I heard that in my seventy four years. Anyway,I think we are better on paper than the Canes in high end talent but possibly up and down the whole roster, not sure. Toronto, sorry I'm not sure we're better on paper there either. Having said that I'm still all in for a coaching change.

Toronto's defense is a disaster (Reilly isn't even that good and he's by far their best) and up front they are getting a pile of milage from players playing way over their heads (see Kadri)...clearly it takes a good coach to, if nothing else, find the players individual strengths and use them to that strength. we have Blysma trying to get everyone to play one system and that is sit back and hang on for dear life...oh by the way, it ain't working just as it isn't with Lindy in dallas who try the exact same thing

Edited by Sabre fan

Gardnier is Tor's best defender and has grown into an all-star type player.

My man Harrington and I are on the same, again. http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/18/mike-harrington-bylsma-goes-sabres-time-excuses-will/ A little scary actually, but like I said at the bieginning of this thread, if (when?) GMTM fires DD, he owns the success or failure going forward. If the new coach fails, then both he and Murray will be out the door.

He also makes a great point that the team has remained in games, even out West, for at least 40 minutes. Has DD lost the guys if they are still playing hard? It's a fair point. While I'd still like to see what DD could do with a full roster of real D, I believe GMTM will still scapegoat him for the team's lack of standings improvement. GMTM better fix the roster and hire the right guy, because he is one the hot seat the day he fires DD.

Edited by yse325

My man Harrington and I are on the same, again. http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/18/mike-harrington-bylsma-goes-sabres-time-excuses-will/ A little scary actually, but like I said at the bieginning of this thread, if (when?) GMTM fires DD, he owns the success or failure going forward. If the new coach fails, then both he and Murray will be out the door.

He also makes a great point that the team has remained in games, even out West, for at least 40 minutes. Has DD lost the guys if they are still playing hard? It's a fair point. While I'd still like to see what DD could do with a full roster of real D, I believe GMTM will still scapegoat him for the team's lack of standings improvement. GMTM better fix the roster and hire the right guy, because he is one the hot seat the day he fires DD.

As much as we disagree about the job he has done up to this point, I don't think anyone disagrees that he has to nail the next coach and this team has to be a lot better next year.

It's a specious point at best.  As WC just pointed out, we're getting outshot horribly.  And when something goes right, it could be *in spite of* the system.  Guys could also be trying hard for themselves or each other -- it doesn't have to be a sign that they believe in the coach.  Sometimes people give a good effort even if they don't like their boss.

If literally EVERYTHING were going wrong, Harrington would probably be saying that it's proof the team is so bad that no coach could help them.  We're talking about a newspaper writer that is so upset about the tank that he literally tweets about it every day on Twitter two years later.

The last 5 games we've been outshoot, but not nearly as bad as people think, except the stinker in SJ.

Here are the numbers

39-32,

36-31,

42-23,

36-26, (and this game was 21-24 after the 1st period)

40-31,

No question we get out shot every night and sometimes badly, our possession numbers stink, and we are slow defensively, but the gap is not nearly as bad as people think. The season numbers are 34.3 to 30.2. 4 shots a game isn't giving up 2 to 1.