Should GMTM Keep His Job?

GASabresIUFAN

Coaching changes had nothing to do with that I'm sure

Are u saying that the Murray's can't choose a coach right?

Edited by yse325

I went and looked. They got a new coach, Phaneauf and Brassard this year. So some significant changes but not overly so.

What is interesting and this bodes well for us long-term is that 4 key guys were late rd gems drafted by Tim including Hoffman, Stone, Dzingel and Pageau. On a sour note he was behind the Ryan for Silfverberg and Ritchie trade.

Reminds me of what we are seeing here. Good drafting but questionable trades.

Tim Murray was neither the GM, nor the head scout, but he is responsible for both Ottawa's late round picks and its biggest trade in recent memory?

Tim Murray was neither the GM, nor the head scout, but he is responsible for both Ottawa's late round picks and its biggest trade in recent memory?

According to the article in NHL.com about our hiring of TM he was behind the trade. Also he was Asst GM in Ottawa for 7 years and was in charge of the AHL team and the scouting dept., according to the Ottawa Sun.

If anything this should free them up to ask him really tough questions. He's basically asking for it.

I'm still waiting for one single media member to ask the coach or GM, even once, about our even strength scoring and possession issues. Every time they talk about or question Dan, the only thing they bring up is that he may have lost the room.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I'm still waiting for one single media member to ask the coach or GM, even once, about our even strength scoring and possession issues. Every time they talk about or question Dan, the only thing they bring up is that he may have lost the room.

Honestly it's not that they're afraid, I genuinely don't believe they understand it or maybe even believe in it. I'm amazed they're even on twitter

Ottawa is better today because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Were they also worse last year because Tim Murray left in 2013?

Really Yse, it's one thing to dislike Murray and/or his moves, but this has become a crusade.

I'm not on a crusade to fire GMTM as others are on DD. I'm trying to show there is more to issues here then just DD and his system.

I think you and I agree that the 4 starting D GMTM acquired stink and take up to much cap, which has correctly raised questions of GMTM's ability to evaluate pro players and cap management. I think everyone agrees that we don't have nearly enough Depth on the blueline.

GMTM acquired 3 of the D knowing DD's system. Isn't it part of the GM's job to acquire players that can execute the coach's system? Isn't it the GM's job to acquire adequate depth?

I have never said the DD isn't partly responsible for the team's failure. It is part of his job to alter what he does to get the most out of the players he has. I don't like his system either and but I do think he has tried to be somewhat flexible. When Eichel was injured he played much more trap. Once Jack returned, he seems to have open things up more.

If i had to allocate blame, I'd says 55% belongs to Murray (for roster and depth issues) 15% to the players (effort issues) and 30% to DD and his staff (for system and flexability issues).

Edited by yse325

Indeed.

Q1: Do you think you can compete for a Cup relying so heavily on PP scoring, without a significant improvement in even strength play?

Q2, if yes: Why do you think this when all of the available evidence says otherwise?

Q2, if no: What do you think is the biggest reason for this team's continued downright poor even strength play?

Q3, if players: Do you think the players you have acquired are inherently weak at even strength, or simply there are still too many roster holes to play well?

Q3, if system: WHY ARE YOU STILL EMPLOYING THE GUY WITH THE BAD SYSTEM? (Minus the caps)

And so on. It's not hard.

Damn right I'm on a crusade against Byslma

No nono, you're not on a crusade to fire Bylsma...you're on a crusade to make the Sabres a quality team. Political spin baby!

Indeed.

Q1: Do you think you can compete for a Cup relying so heavily on PP scoring, without a significant improvement in even strength play?

Q2, if yes: Why do you think this when all of the available evidence says otherwise?

Q2, if no: What do you think is the biggest reason for this team's continued downright poor even strength play?

Q3, if players: Do you think the players you have acquired are inherently weak at even strength, or simply there are still too many roster holes to play well?

Q3, if system: WHY ARE YOU STILL EMPLOYING THE GUY WITH THE BAD SYSTEM? (Minus the caps)

And so on. It's not hard.

Harrington? Are you listening? Schopp?

Harrington? Are you listening? Schopp?

Harrington? Listen? He might be the dumbest man to ever be given a press pass

No nono, you're not on a crusade to fire Bylsma...you're on a crusade to make the Sabres a quality team. Political spin baby!

I like it. Now we just need to stage a coupe 

Edited by WildCard

Harrington and the other TBN clowns are just waiting for the season ending presser so they can waste half their questions asking why they can't speak to the owner.

And it will still be a fair question. When Pegula took his kids on the ice, and basked in the glow, he opened himself up.

A tiresome, boring crusade.

No. I'm not going to let anyone else get PASabreFan-ned. Enough with the crusade/troll talk. Addres the points and stop trying to get inside the poster's head. ZFG deserves zero leeway at the moment.

Is it coincidence that since both Murrays are gone from the Senators that they are now improved and a solid playoff team?

Now that you mention it, Glendale is worse this year than last year. I guess Darcy was better than we thought. 

And it will still be a fair question. When Pegula took his kids on the ice, and basked in the glow, he opened himself up.

No. I'm not going to let anyone else get PASabreFan-ned. Enough with the crusade/troll talk. Addres the points and stop trying to get inside the poster's head. ZFG deserves zero leeway at the moment.

It's not unfair, it's just pointless--it doesn't provide value to the public. It's a waste of everyone's time because we know what the response and outcome will be. Why not ask pointed, specific, questions about the team with your limited time speaking with the GM?

I'm not on a crusade to fire GMTM as others are on DD. I'm trying to show there is more to issues here then just DD and his system.

I think you and I agree that the 4 starting D GMTM acquired stink and take up to much cap, which has correctly raised questions of GMTM's ability to evaluate pro players and cap management. I think everyone agrees that we don't have nearly enough Depth on the blueline.

GMTM acquired 3 of the D knowing DD's system. Isn't it part of the GM's job to acquire players that can execute the coach's system? Isn't it the GM's job to acquire adequate depth?

I have never said the DD isn't partly responsible for the team's failure. It is part of his job to alter what he does to get the most out of the players he has. I don't like his system either and but I do think he has tried to be somewhat flexible. When Eichel was injured he played much more trap. Once Jack returned, he seems to have open things up more.

If i had to allocate blame, I'd says 55% belongs to Murray (for roster and depth issues) 15% to the players (effort issues) and 30% to DD and his staff (for system and flexability issues).

This post makes sense. Yea, you could alter the percentages a little here or here but he's closer by far than the it's 100pct Bylsma crowd.

GMTM acquired 3 of the D knowing DD's system. Isn't it part of the GM's job to acquire players that can execute the coach's system? I

I agree that Bogo, Kulikov and Gorges stink this year and Franson stank last year. Kulikov's extenuating circumstance has been beaten to death and the latter two we got more or less what we expected and paid for.

Would we  agree that by keeping Risto and McCabe over Zadorov, Pysyk and McNabb that GMTM identified and picked the right young defencemen?

Would we also agree that he signed each of them to good contracts?

I think we can agree that Ryan O'Reilly and Evander Kane are very good hockey players?

Can we also agree that Murray did a pretty good job identifying them and going out and getting them? And that he did so without giving up any core assets?

I think we can agree we are much better off with Reinhart, Eichel and Nylander than Fleury, Hanifin and Sergachev?

And that our group of young forwards is among the very best in hockey?

I agree that Murray is mostly responsible for the state of the Sabres and that the coach and GM should be on the same page. This summer will prove if they are.

I agree that Murray has made mistakes.

I agree there are roster and depth issues but I disagree with the way you ignore where this organization was; the significant increase in the overall talent level here and in the pipeline in a short period of time is difficult to for me to ignore, as is the fact the Sabres were among the worst teams of my lifetime just two years ago.

The holes appear fixable. Bylsma appears to be the biggest and the most easily correctable.

You say Murray has made a mess of the Sabres. I say he hasn't finished fixing them yet.

Edited by dudacek

It's not unfair, it's just pointless--it doesn't provide value to the public. It's a waste of everyone's time because we know what the response and outcome will be. Why not ask pointed, specific, questions about the team with your limited time speaking with the GM?

Sometimes asking the question makes the point. You can't let people in power skate.

I wonder how the absence of the owner(s) sits with most fans. I'm sure most would want to hear from him/them, especially with the rebuild on thin ice.

No more bad hockey puns.

Serious question: how regularly do other owners face the media?

Setting aside the early tear-filled months, how does Terry rank?

Boy, so much depends on the owner.  Take a Bob Kraft for instance - who has put in place an effective team to run the Patriots, and lets his people do their jobs and has built a powerhouse championship football dynasty -  well, there's not much of a demand to SPEAK to Bob Kraft.  He's mostly hands off anyway.  But when/if Kraft appears in front of the media, it's to adulation and love.  He has little if any reason to avoid contact with the media. 

Pegula is a different animal, and vastly less effective in his style and technique. He and his wife clearly involve themselves in football and hockey operations and day to day decision making - Kim 'N Terry are like the Senior GMs of the Buffalo teams - even worse, as we have seen demonstrated so clearly with the Bills, they undercut and undermine the authority of their operations team, like the General Manager, even leaving the GM out of the conversation entirely regarding crucial operations decisions.

So there's obviously more of a drumbeat to want to interview them or hear them discuss team operations since they're like the de facto  Senior General Managers of the Bills and Sabres, and they're entwined in decision making far out of their area of competence/expertise.  They've also clearly established something of a 'siege mentality' because the teams have wilted and declined under their ownership and management, and they know the fans and media have become/are becoming hostile towards them. 

I don't even know how to answer the original question - I guess the question should get narrowed down - how often do meddling/interfering owners grant interviews/pressers?  

Edited by Jsixspd