Lehner plummeting down the save percentage rankings...

matter2003

Lehner has been flat out terrible in most of the last 5 games save for Tampa Bay, where he was just terrible in the shootout as usual...4+ goals on most nights...save percentage down to.922 falling from 4th to 9th...he keeps this up he'll be down to 15th or so in no time...

Edited by matter2003

Never liked him. Kicks out big rebounds way too often. Once he hits the ice it takes forever for him to get back on his feet. Which brings up the question why does a tall Goaltender have to go to the ice so much? Can't stop the over his shoulder shot. Terrible in the shoot out, as all Sabre goaltenders are this year. Any one else miss Irbe as the goaltending coach?

Nine times out ten Konecny and Gudas shoot wide or into the logo, not find the six square inches available under the shortside bar.

Four out of five games the Giroux, Weal and Vandevelde goals don't bounce so perfectly, or in the case of the latter two get called back.

Last night was one of those games where everything seems to go in.

That said, in the past two weeks, he simply hasn't stopped enough pucks.

I mostly like Lehner. I think he's had a good season and we can win with him.

But he is a purely modern goalie - a net blocker who shines in games where attackers have limited options, where he reads and sets and they have no time to set and choose.

He consistently gets exposed one on one.

Edited by dudacek

But he is a purely modern goalie - a net blocker who shines in games where attackers have limited options, where he reads and sets and they have no time to set and choose.

Yes, yes, yes.

This also explains why he is so horrendous in shootouts.

Nine times out ten Konecny and Gudas shoot wide or into the logo, not find the six square inches available under the shortside bar.

Four out of five games the Giroux, Weal and Vandevelde goals don't bounce so perfectly, or in the case of the latter two get called back.

Yup. 

Never liked him. Kicks out big rebounds way too often. Once he hits the ice it takes forever for him to get back on his feet. Which brings up the question why does a tall Goaltender have to go to the ice so much? Can't stop the over his shoulder shot. Terrible in the shoot out, as all Sabre goaltenders are this year. Any one else miss Irbe as the goaltending coach?

I think the kicking of rebounds is coached. They are very prominent kicks meant to get the puck to go as far away from the goal crease as he can get them. 

I think the kicking of rebounds is coached. They are very prominent kicks meant to get the puck to go as far away from the goal crease as he can get them. 

Not with a defense this bad. He should be controlling the puck more, His rebound lead to more chances for the other team.

I have never been a fan of the Lehner trade.  I think he is terrible on breakaways and odd man rushes, but no goalie is going to be good under the horrible defense played by this team.  I saw Bogo in the firtst do a no look back hand pass from next to our own net right up the middle.  No goalie can be effective with D that stupid. 

I stand by my earlier season assessment: he's utterly unspectacular in every way, unless you consider his thorough averageness to be spectacular.

I have never been a fan of the Lehner trade. I think he is terrible on breakaways and odd man rushes, but no goalie is going to be good under the horrible defense played by this team. I saw Bogo in the firtst do a no look back hand pass from next to our own net right up the middle. No goalie can be effective with D that stupid.

Though there have been more breakdowns the past couple of weeks, despite getting shelled with volume, the team has done a really good job this season of limiting dangerous chances to a minimum. Currently 7th fewest scoring chances allowed per game.

Lehner has been flat out terrible in most of the last 5 games save for Tampa Bay, where he was just terrible in the shootout as usual...4+ goals on most nights...save percentage down to.922 falling from 4th to 9th...he keeps this up he'll be down to 15th or so in no time...

Funny, Miller was rarely in the top 15 and everybody thought he was a god.

Is the Lehner hate really about 4 shootout games? The ones in which the team was 1 for 9 scoring?

Focusing on Lehner is problem #173 on the list of problems with this organization.

Stop taking it out on him because Murray used a 1st rounder to get him. That's not his problem.

Can you imagine where this team would be if they had a combined save percentage as low as Philly's?

These goaltenders made it so we thought we had a chance at the playoffs through 60+ games, rather than 30. Not much more either one of them can do with the incompetence in front of them.

Team save percentage is SIXTH in the league right now, and when you take into account how inept everybody thinks this defense is, that stat is quite impressive. I have no idea how anybody can complain about being SIXTH in the league. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Trading a first round pick for Lehner was a terrible trade.

If the Sabres were offered a mid-first round pick for Lehner would they take it?

In a heartbeat !!!! 

It was a terrible trade. It is also frustrating watching McNabb thrive playing top 4 minutes for the LA Kings. Has our genius GM been a success? The evidence says ....

If the Sabres were offered a mid-first round pick for Lehner would they take it?

In a heartbeat !!!! 

It was a terrible trade. It is also frustrating watching McNabb thrive playing top 4 minutes for the LA Kings. Has our genius GM been a success? The evidence says ....

He's not thriving, and he's not playing top 4 minutes. In fact, he's barely cracking 5/6 minutes and has been a healthy scratch at times when their roster is healthy. 

The other three players involved in that trade on the LA side of things have yet to play an NHL game. 

Funny, Miller was rarely in the top 15 and everybody thought he was a god.

Is the Lehner hate really about 4 shootout games? The ones in which the team was 1 for 9 scoring?

Focusing on Lehner is problem #173 on the list of problems with this organization.

Stop taking it out on him because Murray used a 1st rounder to get him. That's not his problem.

Can you imagine where this team would be if they had a combined save percentage as low as Philly's?

These goaltenders made it so we thought we had a chance at the playoffs through 60+ games, rather than 30. Not much more either one of them can do with the incompetence in front of them.

Team save percentage is SIXTH in the league right now, and when you take into account how inept everybody thinks this defense is, that stat is quite impressive. I have no idea how anybody can complain about being SIXTH in the league. 

Buffalo Sabres Stats @SabresStats

Robin Lehner has faced 8 skaters in the shootout this season and all 8 have scored. That's a .000 save%.

(3/4/2017)

I can't remember if that includes the last shootout, but his % didn't get any better.

I'll admit it's not a pressing problem for the Sabres right now, but eventually it will be. Maybe, MAYBE he'd be adequate behind a good D but he's lost his shine and there's no reason to be "up" on the guy. Even worse, if the coaching staff decides that the Sabres have to play responsible, safe, D to protect Lehner rather than pushing the offense, that's a huge negative in my eyes. I want the Sabres outscoring opponents 5-3, not praying they can keep Lehner safe and eek out 2-1 wins. That's boring hockey and I'm sick of it.

Buffalo Sabres Stats‏ @SabresStats

Robin Lehner has faced 8 skaters in the shootout this season and all 8 have scored. That's a .000 save%.

(3/4/2017)

I can't remember if that includes the last shootout, but his % didn't get any better.

I'll admit it's not a pressing problem for the Sabres right now, but eventually it will be. Maybe, MAYBE he'd be adequate behind a good D but he's lost his shine and there's no reason to be "up" on the guy. Even worse, if the coaching staff decides that the Sabres have to play responsible, safe, D to protect Lehner rather than pushing the offense, that's a huge negative in my eyes. I want the Sabres outscoring opponents 5-3, not praying they can keep Lehner safe and eek out 2-1 wins. That's boring hockey and I'm sick of it.

I agree, I'm a 5-3 fan too. I prefer to see wide open hockey. 

But if he's not doing well this year, what are the rest of the goaltenders around the league doing? Statistically the Sabres have a poor defensive game and statistically they have one of the top goaltending combos. I fail to see how they can be much better at this point. 

You know as well as I do that missing eight straight shootout attempts is an outlying stat. The save percentage stats aren't outlying because they've maintained that overall average pretty much all year. Lehner's career shootout numbers aren't all that impressive, he's around .53 when the league average is .68. But if we're nitpicking over .15 because it might have a significant outcome on a season moving forward, then this team has more pressing issues. 

Be careful what you wish for, the majority of teams in the NHL would love to have a Lehner/Nilsson combo right now. 

In a heartbeat !!!! 

Again, McNabb is Cody Franson without the offence. He is not thriving. He is just a guy.

As far as Lehner goes, you might, but the Sabres would not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.