Players not listening to Dan?

Randall Flagg

Looking at outside things?

Are there half naked groupies outside the locker room?

Is he referring to the weather?

Disappointed hunting season is over?

Do some of the roster need snowflake therapy?

What in the hell is he talking about, outside things?

They're all upset about the politics thread being shut down.

It sounds like somebody in a bad situation trying to count their blessings and stay on task to me.

well said.

Speaking of Vesey, 12 goals and 8 assists in 54 games.

He started well. I infer that he's hit a bit of a wall. Still seems a safe bet to be a guy who can get you 40 points over the course of a season (like 22/18, or whatever).

Then again, he's already like, what, 32 years old?

Also, as others asked, what on earth are the outside things to which Eichel referred?

Just my reading of the tea leaves. The way Lehner acts compared to his teammates. The subtle digs by guys like Nilsson with his helmet decorations. I've said in other threads that they don't look as comfortable with Lehner in net, but I also wonder if that's translated into actual annoyance. Maybe Lehner is just a sh*t teammate? 

What NIlsson digs?  I missed something?

"Just come to the rink everyday and enjoy the fact you're playing the NHL."

wow, not the attitude you want from your franchise player

I think Jack's attitude is mostly okay. He's right in not too high and not too low.  

However, I think Jack is going to need to learn the NHL.  It's not college hockey.  I think that's the key.  Look at his quote about Toronto.  I understand his mindset there but it's not prevalent among NHL coaches to continue to attack.  He wants to just "go" and the NHL doesn't work that way.

His other quote about "I'm going to keep doing the same things" underscores a prior criticism I have made of him.  He has a certain confidence, bordering on ignorance, about what he can do in the NHL.  He still tries to put pucks in places that are high risk.  If it works 1 of 5 times he thinks it's worth it. If it causes a turn over and it ends up in his net 1 of 5 times he thinks its a breakeven so he might as well keep trying it.

He's going to need to learn some humility.  He just isn't that good.

Oh.. and as for "outside things" I think he means the system and that jives with Gio.  A system is a system.  Some might be better than others or better suited at certain times but one thing is definitely certain, if all players are not on the same page then every system will fail.  You can look at it from the outside and say the system is a failure but you can't if you know the players are not playing the system to begin with.

Edited by LTS

well said.

He started well. I infer that he's hit a bit of a wall. Still seems a safe bet to be a guy who can get you 40 points over the course of a season (like 22/18, or whatever).

Then again, he's already like, what, 32 years old?

Also, as others asked, what on earth are the outside things to which Eichel referred?

According to my fantasy tracker 9 of those points have come in the last 32 games and his ice time is dipping below 10 minutes now. Which is fair, he's playing how'd I expect any rookie would play.

well said.

I took that as a direct reference to Dan's system, and the whole spiel as "I may not like it, I may think it hurts my game and the team, but I need to stop moping and just appreciate being here."

I'll leave deciding his level of commitment to that up to you.

Lehner publicized his support for Trump by putting stickers on his helmet. Shortly after, Nilsson put a bunch of pro-LGBTQ stuff on his helmet. It's suspected that this was deliberate, though who knows. I think it might have been. 

Ahhh, I knew about Nilsson's flag, etc.  I must have missed Lehner's stuff. 

I have question for you hockey system experts . . . 

It seems, when Sabres trail (3rd period comebacks) or they are "on" (Toronto 1st period), they are playing a pressing, uptempo, high speed style -- is that DB's system played well or are they abandoning the system and playing outside it ?

People keep talking about this mountain of evidence that DD is a terrible coach. Where are the stats? The system seems to be working for Gionta, Kane and Okposo. Jack and Sam are even improved statically. How does the system lead to domination of the Leafs in the 1st and the Sharks in the 3rd, but suck other times from game to game and period to period. What in the system caused the Sabres to take dumb penalty after dumb penalty last night.

For all the arm chair coaches, given our talent and injuries, what magical system should we play that would change this team into winners. What system would stop our D from getting beat to the puck. What system would keep our guys from taking dumb penalties? What system would give speed to Franson or Gorges.

Show me a great coach and I'll show you a very talented team. Coaches can make a very good team great, but no coach can take a bad team good much less great. Until we get a full group of NHL D, we aren't going anywhere .

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

People keep talking about this mountain of evidence that DD is a terrible coach. Where are the stats? The system seems to be working for Gionta, Kane and Okposo. Jack and Sam are even improved statically. How does the system lead to domination of the Leafs in the 1st and the Sharks in the 3rd, but suck other times from game to game and period to period. What in the system caused the Sabres to take dumb penalty after dumb penalty last night.

For all the arm chair coaches, given our talent and injuries, what magical system should we play that would change this team into winners. What system would stop our D from getting beat to the puck. What system would keep our guys from taking dumb penalties? What system would give speed to Franson or Gorges.

Show me a great coach and I'll show you a very talented team. Coaches can make a very good team great, but no coach can take a bad team good much less great. Until we get a full group of NHL, we aren't going anywhere.m

Roster wise? The Leafs, Kings, Bruins...there are plenty of teams with worse rosters than ours who's coaches have put them in a position to win

Show me a great coach and I'll show you a very talented team. Coaches can make a very good team great, but no coach can take a bad team good much less great. Until we get a full group of NHL D, we aren't going anywhere .

I'm just going to pick out the bolded: Keeping the puck on our own sticks would reduce the number of times the D have to go back and get pucks, you can't get beat to the puck when you're skating it into the opponent's zone.

Good grief, do you even read the forum? Numerous posters have been laying this evidence out since the day Bylsma was hired. Use the search function or something. 

In the end, systems work when everyone buys into them. And, from watching these guys night in and night out, no one has bought into anything. They're playing their own game out there and it's partly because there's no consistency. Guys not on the same page, guys being shuffled on lines, guys being brought up or sent down, new D pairings,injuries, goalie swaps. How are you supposed to build anything in this environment?  

I have question for you hockey system experts . . . 

It seems, when Sabres trail (3rd period comebacks) or they are "on" (Toronto 1st period), they are playing a pressing, uptempo, high speed style -- is that DB's system played well or are they abandoning the system and playing outside it ?

I think we abandon the system and go full Ted Nolan.

Just play, with some structure of course, at full speed and instinctively.

In the end, systems work when everyone buys into them. And, from watching these guys night in and night out, no one has bought into anything. They're playing their own game out there and it's partly because there's no consistency. Guys not on the same page, guys being shuffled on lines, guys being brought up or sent down, new D pairings,injuries, goalie swaps. How are you supposed to build anything in this environment?  

I don't think systems working are dependent on everyone buying in. If the system sucks, the result will too

so if everyone on the Devil's didn't buy into the neutral zone trap, it would still be successful? 

I don't think that system sucks. Worded differently: yes, you need your team to buy in. But if it's a bad system, then regardless of your team buying in or not, it's not going to work

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.