Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Per Buffalo News no tag for Gilmore

Some team will overpay him. Gilmore wants top 5 CB money, but he's not going to get that from the Bills.

I wish the Bills would stop drafting CB's/Safeties in the first round as they are rarely resigned beyond their rookie contract, hence it being a waste of pick as your first round picks should be impact players that stay on your team for eight to ten years.

Kyle Williams is a treasure. It's a shame that he never got to play for a team that's worth a damn.

Without him, the best Bill (by a measure of both quality & longevity) of this millennium is a punter.

Glad he's coming back.

Sal Capaccio seemed to be high on Mahomes this morning, as well.  I think he's the one QB I wouldn't mind them drafting, whether it's at 10th overall, or perhaps later in the first (trade back a la the EJ pick).

It seems to me that Tyrod is still the best chance they have to win in 2017, and picking up his contract this year wouldn't be at a ridiculous price.

However, if the Bills truly are building for the future -- i.e., planning to become a legit contender in two to four years with some other QB at the helm -- then cutting Tyrod and going with a cheap Siemian, Mahomes, etc. + Cardale would be helpful (cap-wise) in fulfilling that.  But, would the Pegulas be willing to be patient with Whaley and let him play it all out that way?  It's tough for us to know that, and that's ok.

The Trevor Siemian hype on WGR is going to kill me. If we go into next season with him as our starter, I'll lose it.

Besides Taylor, I don't think there's much else out there.  So it becomes a financial decision.

Edited by Eleven

However, if the Bills truly are building for the future -- i.e., planning to become a legit contender in two to four years with some other QB at the helm -- then cutting Tyrod and going with a cheap Siemian, Mahomes, etc. + Cardale would be helpful (cap-wise) in fulfilling that.  But, would the Pegulas be willing to be patient with Whaley and let him play it all out that way?  It's tough for us to know that, and that's ok.

I'm hearing this chatter on WGR and on Twitter -- that retaining Taylor is penny-wise and pound-foolish; that Taylor can probably get you into the playoffs, but don't you want to set your sights higher than that.

Effin' A, man. This team hasn't been to the playoffs in whatever-however-many years. Baby steps. I'd be more than happy with a plan to make the playoffs, and then reconfigure once (if) it's established that Taylor can't get you over the hump of a first-round exit, etc.

I'm hearing this chatter on WGR and on Twitter -- that retaining Taylor is penny-wise and pound-foolish; that Taylor can probably get you into the playoffs, but don't you want to set your sights higher than that.

Effin' A, man. This team hasn't been to the playoffs in whatever-however-many years. Baby steps. I'd be more than happy with a plan to make the playoffs, and then reconfigure once (if) it's established that Taylor can't get you over the hump of a first-round exit, etc.

Yes.

Yep.  And believe me, I <3 Tyrod more than most.  There are arguments for going both ways with it, and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out here soon.

Regarding your pennywise statement -- you could also argue that they won't do any better pennywise with a veteran FA QB (similar prices for worse than Tyrod), so he'd be at a good price.

It made me nervous last year when the Bills were negotiating this contract with Tyrod, with the out-clauses (or whatever) after the 2016 season: "If he's awesome, then we have our QB of the future at a decent price!  If he sucks or shows to be injury-prone, then we just move on!"  Well, what if he's somewhere in the middle?  Now we've got this whole situation.

Yep.  And believe me, I <3 Tyrod more than most.  There are arguments for going both ways with it, and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out here soon.

Regarding your pennywise statement -- you could also argue that they won't do any better pennywise with a veteran FA QB (similar prices for worse than Tyrod), so he'd be at a good price.

It made me nervous last year when the Bills were negotiating this contract with Tyrod, with the out-clauses (or whatever) after the 2016 season: "If he's awesome, then we have our QB of the future at a decent price!  If he sucks or shows to be injury-prone, then we just move on!"  Well, what if he's somewhere in the middle?  Now we've got this whole situation.

Well put. What a mess.

I read twice over the weekend that it's expected that Mike Glennon will get ~$15M annually.

MIKE GLENNON.

The more I think about it, the more I'm unclear on why the team would pass on paying Taylor middle of the road starting QB money. He's flawed, for sure. But he's shown he can do stuff in the league. He'd probably slot in as a mid-pack quality starter if he were retained. I -- I just don't get it.

The only thing I can think of: The team as otherwise constructed can't support/abide paying a decent QB the going rate for a decent veteran QB.

The only thing I can think of: The team as otherwise constructed can't support/abide paying a decent QB the going rate for a decent veteran QB.

In that scenario they need to cut from other areas of the roster (like Gilmore). QB is way too important of a position to skimp on. This team is infinitely better off with Taylor and no Gilmore than it would be without Taylor and having Gilmore.

“Equipped with just under $52 million — a number that is expected to rise after cuts and once the Jay Cutler situation comes to a resolution — the Bears will be extremely active in this year’s free agency market…A deal between the Bears and free agent quarterback Mike Glennon is all but done, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. The deal is expected to fall in the three-year, $45 million range.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/bears-signed-bucs-qb-mike-glennon/

Well put. What a mess.

I read twice over the weekend that it's expected that Mike Glennon will get ~$15M annually.

MIKE GLENNON.

The more I think about it, the more I'm unclear on why the team would pass on paying Taylor middle of the road starting QB money. He's flawed, for sure. But he's shown he can do stuff in the league. He'd probably slot in as a mid-pack quality starter if he were retained. I -- I just don't get it.

Kind of stupid , 3 days left and still nothing decided, must be something going on between front office and coaching staff.