Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Interesting.

I wonder whether DW is still backing EJ?

It's certainly possible, though it would seem to defy belief...or at the very least, the notion that Whaley had eyes. His playing time at the end of the year had to be the nail on that particular coffin.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to going 8-8 and using both of next year's 1sts on position players because McDermott had bought the Tyrod kool-aid. Not.

Interesting.

I wonder whether DW is still backing EJ?

My impression has always been that those who value Tyrod see no reason he can't be your QB while you look for a better one. He is the perfect placeholder. The only real explanation to support the notion you can't keep him is if you think you need to tank to get someone better. In my view, tanking doesn't work in the NFL.

It's certainly possible, though it would seem to defy belief...or at the very least, the notion that Whaley had eyes. His playing time at the end of the year had to be the nail on that particular coffin.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to going 8-8 and using both of next year's 1sts on position players because McDermott had bought the Tyrod kool-aid. Not.

No way the bilss can out tank the jets, los angeles teams, bears.

My impression has always been that those who value Tyrod see no reason he can't be your QB while you look for a better one. He is the perfect placeholder. The only real explanation to support the notion you can't keep him is if you think you need to tank to get someone better. In my view, tanking doesn't work in the NFL.

This is pretty much where I am -- especially because he has a team-friendly contract -- but I also think he has more upside than many others think he has.

This , McD wants a servicable QB while they look for a better one.  Not keeping TT would have put the bills in QB purgatory.

My fear remains that they'll be unwilling to move on for Tyrod for anythjng other than a sure-fire upgrade, which they are highly unlikely to be in a position to acquire. A coach calling the shots makes me feel this is even more likely.

FWIW, I'm not in favor of tanking in the NFL either. But I am in favor of taking a chance on a prospect with questions, which is something I don't see the team doing as long as they have Tyrod in place.

No way the bilss can out tank the jets, los angeles teams, bears.

I don't want them to tank, I want them to take a chance on upside from a flawed QB. Just don't see it happening as long as they have an average starter.

My fear remains that they'll be unwilling to move on for Tyrod for anythjng other than a sure-fire upgrade, which they are highly unlikely to be in a position to acquire. A coach calling the shots makes me feel this is even more likely.

FWIW, I'm not in favor of tanking in the NFL either. But I am in favor of taking a chance on a prospect with questions, which is something I don't see the team doing as long as they have Tyrod in place.

I don't want them to tank, I want them to take a chance on upside from a flawed QB. Just don't see it happening as long as they have an average starter.

First thought to come to my mind..... the NFL equivalent of Grigorenko.  :ph34r:

First thought to come to my mind..... the NFL equivalent of Grigorenko. :ph34r:

I don't really see the comparison at all. Grigs was a touted first round pick that people thought could be a number 1 center. TT a secondary free agent acquisition that no one thinks can be a franchise quarterback.

My personal opinion, he can be good enough that with a few breaks could lead a team to a 10-6 season and a playoff birth while the franchise searches for "the guy."

I don't really see the comparison at all. Grigs was a touted first round pick that people thought could be a number 1 center. TT a secondary free agent acquisition that no one thinks can be a franchise quarterback.

My personal opinion, he can be good enough that with a few breaks could lead a team to a 10-6 season and a playoff birth while the franchise searches for "the guy."

You got the context wrong.  Re:  TrueBlue's, draft to "take a chance on upside from a flawed QB", Grigorenko was the Sabres equivalent.

Edited by We've

Funky Cold Pegula.

:worthy:

Is it just me, or has Pegula gotten better at the podium?

He's learning how to be an owner. He has a lot of experience under his belt.

So, no Kim in the Sabres' searches, but yes Kim in the Bills' search?

:worthy:

He's learning how to be an owner. He has a lot of experience under his belt.

So, no Kim in the Sabres' searches, but yes Kim in the Bills' search?

its funny cuz everyone at tbd talks about how bad he is at the podium. he definitely did better today than the past.

its funny cuz everyone at tbd talks about how bad he is at the podium. he definitely did better today than the past.

It's just style points though? There were tough, pointed, well-constructed questions today and he didn't answer many of them. Why should people trust your decisions, since you've made so many mistakes? I own the team. We've made good decisions all our lives. The latter part of that answer goes directly to meddling. They really do feel they're qualified to do this, Because Wealthy.

POST MERGING SUCKS

So am I a dinosaur or is it totally ass backwards to have a coach in place before a GM?

It's just style points though? There were tough, pointed, well-constructed questions today and he didn't answer many of them. Why should people trust your decisions, since you've made so many mistakes? I own the team. We've made good decisions all our lives. The latter part of that answer goes directly to meddling. They really do feel they're qualified to do this, Because Wealthy.

POST MERGING SUCKS

So am I a dinosaur or is it totally ass backwards to have a coach in place before a GM?

Well, one man's "tough, pointed, well-constructed" question is another man's "obnoxious, antagonistic and pointless, because it won't get answered and only serves to entrench the questioner's isolation from and lack of sources in the organization" question.

Having said that, I too am concerned about hiring a coach first, and then a GM.  In this case, I think there are mitigating factors -- namely, wanting to keep the benefits of the year's worth of scouting -- but it is a concern nevertheless. 

I also think the plan since hiring McD was to unload DW after the draft and bring in a new GM who is sympatico with McD.  That of course raises the question again of whether too much trust is being granted to McD.

I'm cautiously optimistic but we'll see. 

The worst part about firing Whaley now is that (whether you want to admit it or not) it will limit the pool of GM candidates who are willing to take the job. GM's usually like to put their own people in place and they can't do that with the owner backing McDermott and basically handing him the keys. The new GM will basically be decided on by a 3 person committee of Pegula, Russ Brandon, and McDermott. Not exactly a confidence inspring panel in my eyes.