Expansion Draft -- Sabres moves and speculation

SabresBaltimore

How does that work if Kuli is a pending UFA?  I thought that Vegas had added time to sign UFA's.  What would their incentive be for giving up a pick they don't have to?

UFAs can be signed and that counts towards as their pick from a team. In the Sabres Case the choices will be Ullmark or a bad contract. This could be Mc Phee telling the Sabres, you need to up your offer for us to take a bad contract

It's not giving up a pick. It would become their expansion draft pick from Buffalo. Of course, they could just officially announce it after the draft and get 2 players from Buffalo.

If they come to an agreement with Kulikov, but don't officially sign him, they could pick somebody else in the draft, but they wouldn't be able to announce the Kuli signing until after FA opens on July 1st... and which point Kuli might get a better offer and pull out of Vegas.  

I forgot that Manson still had a year left.  Manson is the only one available in expansion.  Theodore and Montour are on their ELCs and are exempt.  I agree they won't be able to re-sign all the kids (they have Larsson coming up as well), which is why I thought Vatanen was the odd man out until he got hurt.  In fact, I thought they'd move Vatanen to save cap and to protect Manson.

I think Ana wants to go 7-3-1 instead of 4-4-1 because they need to protect both Rakell and Silfversberg.  If they buy out Bieska (thereby getting rid of his NMC), they can protect Manson, Lindholm and Fowler, protect 7 forwards and then trade Vatanen to us.  I think his injury might change this scenario.  Also if they do the above, they need to acquire someone like Falk from us to satisfy their D exposure needs.  The other issue is that Bieksa is 35 and therefore would get all his salary, not just 2/3rds

Yeah, Bieksa everything up with his NMC.   If they protect Bieksa, Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen, that exposes Manson, Cogliano and Silfverberg (and Corey Tropp, hahaha).     LIke you said, they probably do something with Bieksa (he's supposed to play on my adult team this summer, ha).    Which would allow them to protect Manson, but still would lose Silfverberg.   If I'm Vegas I'd be all over Silfverberg.

I'm fine with that. I just hope the Ducks feel some pain due to their stubborn inactivity.

That, or I wonder if they have made a deal with McPhee not to select one of their players in exchange for a pick. He did say he wouldn't be announcing such deals until later and the Ducks could probably stomach losing a pick instead of one of their precious D-men.

Edited by kas23

I'm fine with that. I just hope the Ducks feel some pain due to their stubborn inactivity.

That, or I wonder if they have made a deal with McPhee not to select one of their players in exchange for a pick. He did say he wouldn't be announcing such deals until later and the Ducks could probably stomach losing a pick instead of one of their precious D-men.

I don't know, if you're Vegas I'd be asking for a lot more than just a pick for not taking Silfverberg or Manson.

There's also the possibility that some 3rd party team joins the fray and incentivizes Vegas to take Manson and trade them Manson for some package of picks/players/etc...  

Take BUF for example, Kane is a Vegas guy.    We give them Kane and a pick or something in exchange for them picking and trading Manson.    That's allowed and will probably happen, not necessarily with BUF, but with other suitors.

The whole thing is so ripe for collusion.  I'm amazed that they decided to go with the whole thing of signing pending UFAs within the draft window counting as the pick.  Both sides, Vegas and the player would be crazy to actually do an official signing at that point. 

The whole thing is so ripe for collusion. I'm amazed that they decided to go with the whole thing of signing pending UFAs within the draft window counting as the pick. Both sides, Vegas and the player would be crazy to actually do an official signing at that point.

Why? Team A might incentivize Vegas to sign player X, then trade him to team A after the draft... essentially giving team A a jump on Free Agency.

The whole thing is so ripe for collusion. I'm amazed that they decided to go with the whole thing of signing pending UFAs within the draft window counting as the pick. Both sides, Vegas and the player would be crazy to actually do an official signing at that point.

Vegas paid a 500 Million Expansion Fee and is drafting sixth overall. They deserve any advantage they get

Vegas paid a 500 Million Expansion Fee and is drafting sixth overall. They deserve any advantage they get

Yeah that was kind of messed up. They should have been guaranteed 4th at worst, right after the 3 lottery picks since they didn't win the lottery.

Why? Team A might incentivize Vegas to sign player X, then trade him to team A after the draft... essentially giving team A a jump on Free Agency.

There's no quicker way to alienate agents around the league than by immediately trading a guy you just signed.

Yeah, I'm not so crazy about that either.  A bit of a screw job if you ask me.

There's no quicker way to alienate agents around the league than by immediately trading a guy you just signed.

Yeah, I'm not so crazy about that either.  A bit of a screw job if you ask me.

The expansion teams have ALWAYS gotten hosed. Some things will NEVER change.

And smart GM's will find the loopholes in the system & work 'em to their advantage. Darn shame JB is brand new to the job. Hopefully he's astute enough to work this to the Sabres' advantage but not holding my breath due to him having such a short window to get the strategy down.

I tend to think the Murray had a lot of Sabre-specific expansion-related irons in the fire that JBot should be fully up to speed on by now.

I'm also pretty sure he's well aware of the various loopholes, strategies and options at his disposal through Pittsburgh's research.

I think he'll be well-prepared. Hope he can execute.

I tend to think the Murray had a lot of Sabre-specific expansion-related irons in the fire that JBot should be fully up to speed on by now.

I'm also pretty sure he's well aware of the various loopholes, strategies and options at his disposal through Pittsburgh's research.

I think he'll be well-prepared. Hope he can execute.

This. Wasn't there a report indicating he spoke with Mcphee recently and discussions went well?

The expansion teams have ALWAYS gotten hosed. Some things will NEVER change.

And smart GM's will find the loopholes in the system & work 'em to their advantage. Darn shame JB is brand new to the job. Hopefully he's astute enough to work this to the Sabres' advantage but not holding my breath due to him having such a short window to get the strategy down.

I guess one positive in all of this is that there's probably only a handful of GMs who have actually gone through an expansion draft already.  And on top of that, the rules are drastically different from any of those previous ones.  If he's the cap expert that some have played him up to be, he may actually have some good thoughts on how to maneuver through this.  We're not a team that really has to worry about losing any specific player, so that more than likely frees them up to be a little more proactive in terms of "helping out" other teams.

Considering the awful choices the Sabres are giving Vegas, I'm curious why these two have been pretty much overlooked as future Knights:

* Josh Gorges is a veteran character guy who gives 110 %, listens to his coach and sets an example in the room. He's on an affordable contract that runs out next summer and could probably be flipped at the deadline for a third.

* Nick Deslauriers is a likable tattooed hitter, who will throw down with anyone and is beloved by his teammates. He is on virtually a league minimum contract with one year left.

In short, two talentless heart-and-soul guys that the fans can identify with and cheer for and who won't bring down their teammates while the team piles up losses.

Looks like they were made to be expansion team fodder.

Edited by dudacek

Considering the awful choices the Sabres are giving Vegas, I'm curious why these two have been pretty much overlooked as future Knights:

* Josh Gorges is a veteran character guy who gives 110 %, listens to his coach and sets an example in the room. He's on an affordable contract that runs out next summer and could probably be flipped at the deadline for a third.

* Nick Deslauriers is a likable tattooed hitter, who will throw down with anyone and is beloved by his teammates. He is on virtually a league minimum contract with one year left.

In short, two talentless heart-and-soul guys that the fans can identify with and cheer for and who won't bring down their teammates while the team piles up losses.

Looks like they were made to be expansion team fodder.

Bringing your expansion-related "A" game, today, I see.

Didn't even consider them as options but those two guys do make some sense when you break it down like that.

Gorges does make some sense in terms of leadership but deslaurier doesn't make any sense. Why would they take him over carrier or ullmark?

I would be very surprised if Carrier is left unprotected, and more surprised if he's not the pick if he is (assuming no side deals).

The case against Ullmark has always been there are better goaltenders and they will only pick so many. He will be the best Sabre available in my opinion.

Is Lehner, Okposo, ROR, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier, Risto, McCabe, trade acquisition/Bogo not still the consensus protected list?

Edited by dudacek

My bad, didn't realize we could protect him. Wow Vegas isn't getting much out of us if they don't take ullmark. I still can't imagine anyone taking des. It's just a waste of a pick.

I still wonder if we can trade them our first to unload a bad contract or two?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.