GDT: Buffalo at Chicago 8:30 pm ET, 1/5/2016

Doohickie

I just don't know how win percentage helps evaluate a goalie.

This looks like the Blueprint the Sabres will have to use once Jack and Sam get paid.

Jack, Sam, Risto, Nylander, ROR, Okposo and McCabe and then a whole lotta nothing. Just pluggers filling out the roster earning < $1mill.

When you get to the point where you have a solid core and are contending, that's when you become buyers at the deadline and trade picks for UFAs on expiring contracts for a chance at eternal glory.

I just don't know how win percentage helps evaluate a goalie.

I'm not saying it does. But it's at the heart of the debate. Their stats otherwise aren't significantly different. So the question here is, why are we winning more with Nilsson? In theory the team playing in front of them has been mostly the same (although maybe not with all of our injuries).

We need to win a lot more to salvage this season. Somehow Nilsson is winning more. If Lenher had played those 12 games, would the results have been the same? If Nilsson had played more than 12 games, would the team have a better record?

Stats can only get you so far. So the best I can say is, give Nilsson more starts and see if his stats (and win ratio) hold up.

I'm not saying it does. But it's at the heart of the debate. Their stats otherwise aren't significantly different. So the question here is, why are we winning more with Nilsson? In theory the team playing in front of them has been mostly the same (although maybe not with all of our injuries).

We need to win a lot more to salvage this season. Somehow Nilsson is winning more. If Lenher had played those 12 games, would the results have been the same? If Nilsson had played more than 12 games, would the team have a better record?

Stats can only get you so far. So the best I can say is, give Nilsson more starts and see if his stats (and win ratio) hold up.

Dad should stick with the hot hand otherwise we'll know backdoor shenanigans are happening and GMTM is forcing him to play Lebhner based on the trade.

Dad should stick with the hot hand otherwise we'll know backdoor shenanigans are happening and GMTM is forcing him to play Lebhner based on the trade.

Agreed. Otherwise TMGM is just as bad as Doug Whaley and EJ Manual. Sometimes you have to move on from a bad decision. Although for me personally the jury is still out on Lehner. He's been hung out to dry with a lot of games with no offense from the rest of the team to speak of.

But I'm tired of being patient. I don't expect this team to contend for a cup, but they should be contending for a playoff spot, not doing worse than our tank teams. I see them beat the Rangers and hold them to 1 goal, while scoring 4 and it pisses me off to think about all the other games where we did worse against teams that probably wont make the playoffs.

Puck control?

The ability of the Sabres to gain possession on a controlled rebound have something to do with it?

Puck control?

The ability of the Sabres to gain possession on a controlled rebound have something to do with it?

Maybe. I think the one area that Nilsson appears better to me is his rebound control.

But I think that important to Lenher's game though. I feel like he's more likely to make a ridiculous save because of how aggressive he plays. Meanwhile Nilsson is a lot more controlled, and probably less likely to wow you.

But at this point, I don't care about being wow'ed by highlight real saves. I just want to see them string together some winning streaks.

Edited by SabresBaltimore

yikes 02:30 am start, will have to pass on this one :(

Personally I'm ready to move on from Gorges. He's got another year on his contract, so maybe we can move him for something.

I do think getting him was a good move, as him being here has been valuable to the development of our young kids, but he should be a middle 6 pairing at best for a playoff team.

And if he still has an A, he should give it up. I think for next season our letters should be: RoR - C, Eichel - A, Risto - A, although I do want Gionta back another year or two in a bottom 6 role. I think both Gionta and Gorges are veteran enough players to be willing to give up the letters, and just be vocal leaders instead.

Gorges, I wouldn't mind keeping around as 6/7 D, this is the kind of guy you get at the deadline for depth in the play offs.

He is really bad at getting the puck up ice, but his defensive plays and shot blocking is still solid.

Edited by Huckleberry

I like the typo on Kane in the lineup post, doohickie. I feel like his game has been more balanced and even as of late.

Hope is kindled tonight. McDavid does us a solid and proves to be too much to handle for Boston, and the Sabres win to move 6 points back with 3 games in hand.

Hey boys!

God, its so cold here right now, brrrr!! minus 28 celcius, buttfreezing

GO SABRES

How ready are you for this game, MODO?

Haven't watched them so I can't really say how good they are, but the Hawks may have the most generic, no-name bottom six in the league. I guess it shows what having such a good top four on D can do.

When I put the original post in this thread together, I had the same thought.  I was looking at names and thinking to myself, "I've NEVER heard of this guy before."

I like the typo on Kane in the lineup post, doohickie. I feel like his game has been more balanced and even as of late.

Hope is kindled tonight. McDavid does us a solid and proves to be too much to handle for Boston, and the Sabres win to move 6 points back with 3 games in hand.

Good man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.