The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Down here, most people sit outside and then hand out the candy.  I'm sure it's just a weather thing, but it's definitely far more social than it was up north, at least in my little corner of Boston (the good one in NY, not the land of massholes).

We wound up with less people than I expected.  It's so unpredictable because we're in new construction and the number have been increasing each year for obvious reasons.  This was the first year where they neighborhood was 100% complete (for at least 6 months or so), so I would have expected the biggest turnout yet.  Plus the weather was super comfortable.  We didn't get any overflow from surrounding neighborhoods though, except maybe one family, which really surprised me.  They're about to start building a new neighborhood that does connect directly to us, so next year will be yet another unpredictable year.

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

Down here, most people sit outside and then hand out the candy.  I'm sure it's just a weather thing, but it's definitely far more social than it was up north, at least in my little corner of Boston (the good one in NY, not the land of massholes).

We wound up with less people than I expected.  It's so unpredictable because we're in new construction and the number have been increasing each year for obvious reasons.  This was the first year where they neighborhood was 100% complete (for at least 6 months or so), so I would have expected the biggest turnout yet.  Plus the weather was super comfortable.  We didn't get any overflow from surrounding neighborhoods though, except maybe one family, which really surprised me.  They're about to start building a new neighborhood that does connect directly to us, so next year will be yet another unpredictable year.

We're in a newer subdivision as well.  First year obviously no kids but we were at complete build last year and it seemed like parents were bussing them in.  Surprisingly light crowd this year and even more of a surprise was the lack of participation from neighbors.  Huge swaths of houses with no lights on.  Makes my house look better.  Projector in the window, short-circuiting lights, music and fog machine.  Love Halloween.  

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

We're in a newer subdivision as well.  First year obviously no kids but we were at complete build last year and it seemed like parents were bussing them in.  Surprisingly light crowd this year and even more of a surprise was the lack of participation from neighbors.  Huge swaths of houses with no lights on.  Makes my house look better.  Projector in the window, short-circuiting lights, music and fog machine.  Love Halloween.  

We have an odd section of the neighborhood that is completely inactive for what seems like 100% of the time.  Once you go beyond a specific point, every single house never has any lights on, and from what I heard last night, they were all closed for business.  It's really odd.  These houses all closed right near the middle of the building process, so it's not like they were the last houses to be moved into.  For whatever reason, all of the lame people just happened to move into the same block of houses.  It's just a shame that they're not all in one cul-de-sac but are instead in the middle one road that forms a giant circle.  So you have to go past that section to get to other parts.

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

2010 was my first year taking my kid trick or treating around here and people kept telling the kids to come inside their houses. Wtf? Freak show! "Hey, lady, just give out the candy on the front porch like a normal person, ok. Lord knows what kind of torture, pedophile dungeon you and your husband have rigged up in the basement!" - was my first thought and then... actually, it's still my only thought and attempts by my coworkers to convince me that this is normal behavior will not sway me.

Yeah that is unusual. If it's a howling hurricane of snow and hell outside, people will invite kids in on the stoop/front hallway for a sec- that doesn't phase me. But in general, nah, come to the door.

I just think of all the times I did door to door girl scout cookie/chocolate bar/whatever club needed fundraising sales as a kid on my own... always cold, always miserable, kinda led to my whole not liking dogs that much thing... hm, maybe that's where my whole anxiety of walking first into places like restaurants/anywhere I have to speak came from... and then I always lost the cool trip or prize to the kid whose dad/mom took the sell sheet to work and made bank. Kid didn't sell sh!t. To this day, although I know they outlawed the door to door selling, I don't buy boss's kids' cookies/chocolate/etc.. Some coworkers, maybe. 

14 minutes ago, josie said:

Yeah that is unusual. If it's a howling hurricane of snow and hell outside, people will invite kids in on the stoop/front hallway for a sec- that doesn't phase me. But in general, nah, come to the door.

I just think of all the times I did door to door girl scout cookie/chocolate bar/whatever club needed fundraising sales as a kid on my own... always cold, always miserable, kinda led to my whole not liking dogs that much thing... hm, maybe that's where my whole anxiety of walking first into places like restaurants/anywhere I have to speak came from... and then I always lost the cool trip or prize to the kid whose dad/mom took the sell sheet to work and made bank. Kid didn't sell sh!t. To this day, although I know they outlawed the door to door selling, I don't buy boss's kids' cookies/chocolate/etc.. Some coworkers, maybe. 

Ugh, F that kid. And F that kids parents. My son brought home Gertrude Hawk chocolate bars to sell back when he was in 3rd grade under the assumption that I'd be slinging it at work for him. I don't know that I laughed directly in his face, but it was definitely implied. He didn't win anything either. Builds character.

I'm going to the outlets tomorrow but I have a dilemma. Do I go to the Waterloo ones or the Niagara (Canadian) ones? My buddy swears that with the Canadian discount it's cheaper, but someone else is telling me the Niagara outlets compensate and adjust for this difference, and so the prices are the same.

Any idea if that's true or not? The Canadian ones price adjusting to match the American prices?

On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 11:35 AM, inkman said:

Man I had to read this back through. I actually thought you were talking about her bewbs.  Am I the only idiot? 

I was gonna mention how they seem to get in the way because of the close qaurters invloved but carry on.  

Do people normally refer to false teeth as implants?  Maybe it's the norm and I'm just a prevert. 

Am I the only person who abstains from the word sucker when referring to lollipops?

You were the inspiration for the post, FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Random musings from the day:

1. Old dude, with the skullet and sport coat. Nice look! The sweat pants were a nice touch, but the leather belt holding up the sweat pants make this the best outfit I've ever seen. Keep rocking it!

2. How do you politely tell a customer that he smells like someone sh#t in his pockets and that other guests are complaining?

3. Ever been sitting by yourself, let out a putrid fart, and then 3 people come and sit down with you? Blame someone else, or tell them it's their fault for sitting with you?

Wherefore I am the official SS cryer ...

Clang ... clang ... 

Hear, ye!!  Hear, ye!!

The estemed (?) SS member commonly known as N S has finally had enough of the anoying space between his letter.

Be it proclaimed that from this day forward N S will be reverting to his European, but not Aboriginal (unfortunately), roots and now be known as New Scotland, which is translated from the Latin Nova Scotia.

Be it also proclaimed that said New Scotland will still prefer that his friends continue to address him as NS.

Thank you for your attention.

We now return you to whatever ...

Clang ... clang ...

CHOCOLATE!!

You know you have a serious addiction when you walk the 7 minute walk to your local grocer in a Typhoon and end up looking like a soaking wet rat (not drowned, though).

+++++

Also, my wife has me pretty interested in The View.  Until last night that is ... the ladies had on the cast of that abomination ... Bohemian Rhapsody.  For the life of me, I do not understand why peole try to dupicate Freddie and why people pay good money for that nonsense.  Really.

55 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

CHOCOLATE!!

You know you have a serious addiction when you walk the 7 minute walk to your local grocer in a Typhoon and end up looking like a soaking wet rat (not drowned, though).

+++++

Also, my wife has me pretty interested in The View.  Until last night that is ... the ladies had on the cast of that abomination ... Bohemian Rhapsody.  For the life of me, I do not understand why peole try to dupicate Freddie and why people pay good money for that nonsense.  Really.

Without getting too personal, is your wife naked or maybe doing special things while the view is on? Cuz that show makes my ears and brain hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

CHOCOLATE!!

+++++

Per Inky, I would probably try to avoid The View, also.

NS, you have been very clear on your dislike of this Bohemian Rhapsody movie even months ago.  I probably won't see the movie anytime soon (if ever), but the commercials (to me at least) seem to paint a very positive picture of Freddie and the band.  That's got to count for something.  I'm thinking people who are too young to have grown up hearing Queen on the radio/stereo regularly will definitely benefit from this exposure, even if this movie is less than perfect.  My mother, who was born in Truro, Nova Scotia btw, was the one who turned me on to Queen at quite an early age.  

Great job on dealing with the Nicotine curse!  You do whatever you have to do to kick it.  I did cold turkey also, and it sucked, but it was the best way.  Just before I stopped, I was leaving myself notes about updating my will and morbid things like that to motivate me.  Whatever it takes!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BagBoy said:

Per Inky, I would probably try to avoid The View, also.

NS, you have been very clear on your dislike of this Bohemian Rhapsody movie even months ago.  I probably won't see the movie anytime soon (if ever), but the commercials (to me at least) seem to paint a very positive picture of Freddie and the band.  That's got to count for something.  I'm thinking people who are too young to have grown up hearing Queen on the radio/stereo regularly will definitely benefit from this exposure, even if this movie is less than perfect.  My mother, who was born in Truro, Nova Scotia btw, was the one who turned me on to Queen at quite an early age.  

Great job on dealing with the Nicotine curse!  You do whatever you have to do to kick it.  I did cold turkey also, and it sucked, but it was the best way.  Just before I stopped, I was leaving myself notes about updating my will and morbid things like that to motivate me.  Whatever it takes!

Don't worry and Inky too, I am not in on that show, so I think that I can keep my man card.  It is a pretty good show and it demonstrates that people (women in this case, but it is a good example in general) of very differing views and experiences can get along and have a civil discussion.

Yeah, that movie.  I have no issue with the effort and the story portrail (mostly).  The issue that I have is that everyone is hyping it up as the closest thing to Queen and Freddie.  No matter how good the effort there is no possible way.  There is a very good reason why there are no Freddie impersonators out there.  There are a handful of Queen rip off acts out there, but they do not try to sound like Freddie.  It is not possible.  The guy, while doing a good job in general, is obviously lip syncing and not very well, IMO.

I am a huge Queen and Freddie fan.  I have seen them live several times and it has always, regardless of era, been the experience of a lifetime.  There is nothing like it and it is all because of Freddie.  There is no possible way anyone could duplicate that.  So, I see no point in trying.  Even if you have never seen Freddie perform live there are plenty of YouTube videos out there.  And if you only have a twenty minute window all you need to do is watch Queen at Live Aid.  Even if you are not a fan, that video will send shivers.  I can sort of understand that if you never saw Queen live why there would be some interest in this movie, but even if you want a historical perspective there are countless documentaries out there that are very well done.

Another issue that I have is that (apparently) they side step the whole Aids issue.  I certainly don't think they needed to go into how he contracted that horrible disease, as that is of no import, but I don't think it should be ignored in such a film, as the time frame covers a long period and not just 1974/5.

The very first album I bought ever was A Night At The Opera, in large part because of Bohemian Rhapsody.  I still have a handful of albums, including that one.

And thank you for your kind words concerning my efforts on kicking that nastiest of habits and addictions.  So far, so good.

Also ... awesome that you mother was born in Truro ... 'The Hub of NS' and for good reason.  I like Truro.  It's a very nice town and has much to do for day outings and a fantastic underware factory that is quite famous.  I am never far from my Stanfields and a spare, or two ...

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
missing letters and words ...

WE ARE GOING TO BE RICH!!  RICH, I SAY!!

Who would think so many people would want to shell out a lot of $ for our junk?

I found my old hockey card collection ... oh, baby!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
If you want a mint Perrault rookie card PM me ... on second thought (second edit) ... nevermind
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:37 AM, ubkev said:

At work today. I went on a half-hour break at 5:45am and came back at 5:15am. Daylight Savings sucks a lot!

We roll the clocks at 6am, in case anyone was confused as to how I was getting boned so hard.

You should have just gone on break again at the next 5:45 am.

• Like (+1) 1

Did a gig at a country club hopping event this weekend. 

Man, the richer folks of the world definitely live by different rules. Definitely met some great people, definitely met some horror shows. Kinda can't stop thinking about the difference in all the types of shows I've done. Most are fairly wealthy events because let's face it, if you're throwing a big enough party to shell out the bucks for an aerial troupe, someone's loaded- but maybe it's the reason behind the different events that makes the difference... but overall, the wealthier the clientele, the less they know the meaning of "don't touch".

and oh man- wealthy older white ladies in 6 inch stilettos (def. Louboutins- doubt those red soles were fakes) can REALLY cut a rug to Tina Turner... it was genuinely impressive! And there's a really really REALLY bad Elvis impersonator in Rochester- got kicked offstage after 1.5 songs... 

Edited by josie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

How? I have one of those.. ebay?

I have no idea how ebay works, or how I will sell them, but I am doing some initial research.

Ken Dryden's rookie card goes for between $250 and $350 ... I have 4, or 5, of them ... all in a safe ... not at my home, or office.

• Like (+1) 1