The even randomer thread

PASabreFan

Random city review.

Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is the capital of Applachia in the same way that Chicago is the capital of the Midwest.

There, the comparisons end.

Emerson Etem would be well-schooled if he were in downtown Pittsburgh; there is nothing to do here, just as there was nothing to do in downtown Buffalo back then.  I stand by my statement from back then, that downtown is for business and other areas are for fun.  (Yes, freeman, we all are aware that NYC has downtown business and fun, and we also are aware that it is the dirtiest and smelliest place in the US.)

Food:  Just don't bother.  Everything is a chain.  Even in areas comparable to Elmwood or Hertel, there are Hard Rock Cafe, Joe's Crab Shack, Texas de Brazil, and Bucca di Beppo.  You'll find the same dining at the Walden Galleria as you will here.  The local "thing" is Primanti Bros., which, if you actually don't know about it already, is an average sandwich with fries in the sandwich.   Meh.  Putting French fries in an average sandwich does not elevate the sandwich.  There seems to be no equivalent of a Tempo or Oliver's here; it's all just chain.  Even the high-end places.  Frankly, I feel like I'm in Ohio on this one.

Beer:  Since my friends here are big microbrew fetishists, I expected to see some nice stuff on tap. Nope.  And I have been around to enough places this holiday weekend to take note, even if I'm not a beer guy.  Yuengling, Iron City, and your standard American macros.

People:  The people could not possibly be nicer!  Everywhere you go, it's just nice after nice after nice.  (Well, the customers, anyway.  The staff at bars, restaurants, and hotel are kind of surly, but maybe there's a reason for that so I give them a break.)  Need directions?  Nice.  What's good on the menu?  (Nothing, but they're still nice.)  Everywhere I have been, just nice, friendly people.  

Church:  Had a lovely Mass this morning.  Music and everything, a lot better than what we are at back home.  And again, so friendly:  "Hi, I am new here," "Hi, where from," etc.

Ballpark: PNC may be the nicest park I ever have been to.  It is beautiful.  The sightlines are great from every area (oh, I walked it three times); the seats are so comfortable even in the cheap areas, and the view of the outfield is inimitable: one of the rivers (I get confused among the three) is right there, with a bunch of boats, and then there is the downtown skyline.  They designed this park RIGHT.  The food is meh (see above) but parking was $3 for a ten-minute walk to the park.  That's cheaper than the Bisons-area parking.  If you like baseball, or even if you just like baseball parks, you've got to see this one.  

Drivers:  Considerably better than Buffalo.  There's a lot of weird stuff to navigate around here, considering the mountains and rivers, and people do it well.

Hotel:  I can't wait to get home to slam the **** out of this place on every possible website.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:33 AM, BagBoy said:

It's legal here in Ontario, too.  

I was able to order 7 grams online for the equivalent of $31 USD (includes tax), and have it delivered to my house for free.  This is cheaper than anything I've gotten from the black market for at least 30 years.  The variety to choose from and the quality of product are outstanding.

I think the low cost is the province's approach to making the black market no longer viable.  I wouldn't be surprised if they jack up the prices once they figure they have dealt a substantial blow to the black market.  That would be consistent with their alcohol policy which is to make it at least twice as expensive as alcohol is in the US.

You can get it a lot cheaper than that online and delivered to your door. Me and a couple of buddies chip in and buy a half pound for about 500-550 CAD. Primo stuff.

If you want the particulars, let me know. If you e-transfer the money on Friday, you'll easily have it by the next Friday via Canada Post.

They have 1/2 ounces of hash on sale right now for 50 CAD. Edibles are cheap but I make my own...they sell shake for about 200/lb.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

Random city review.

Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh is the capital of Applachia in the same way that Chicago is the capital of the Midwest.

Emerson Etem would be well-schooled if he were in downtown Pittsburgh; there is nothing to do here, just as there was nothing to do in downtown Buffalo back then.  I stand by my statement from back then, that downtown is for business and other areas are for fun.  (Yes, freeman, we all are aware that NYC has downtown business and fun, and we also are aware that it is the dirtiest and smelliest place in the US.)

Food:  Just don't bother.  Everything is a chain.  Even in areas comparable to Elmwood or Hertel, there are Hard Rock Cafe, Joe's Crab Shack, Texas de Brazil, and Bucca di Beppo.  You'll find the same dining at the Walden Galleria as you will here.  The local "thing" is Primanti Bros., which, if you actually don't know about it already, is an average sandwich with fries in the sandwich.   Meh.  Putting French fries in an average sandwich does not elevate the sandwich.  There seems to be no equivalent of a Tempo or Oliver's here; it's all just chain.  Even the high-end places.  Frankly, I feel like I'm in Ohio on this one.

Beer:  Since my friends here are big microbrew fetishists, I expected to see some nice stuff on tap. Nope.  And I have been around to enough places this holiday weekend to take note, even if I'm not a beer guy.  Yuengling, Iron City, and your standard American macros.

People:  The people could not possibly be nicer!  Everywhere you go, it's just nice after nice after nice.  (Well, the customers, anyway.  The staff at bars, restaurants, and hotel are kind of surly, but maybe there's a reason for that so I give them a break.)  Need directions?  Nice.  What's good on the menu?  (Nothing, but they're still nice.)  Everywhere I have been, just nice, friendly people.  

Church:  Had a lovely Mass this morning.  Music and everything, a lot better than what we are at back home.  And again, so friendly:  "Hi, I am new here," "Hi, where from," etc.

Ballpark: PNC may be the nicest park I ever have been to.  It is beautiful.  The sightlines are great from every area (oh, I walked it three times); the seats are so comfortable even in the cheap areas, and the view of the outfield is inimitable: one of the rivers (I get confused among the three) is right there, with a bunch of boats, and then there is the downtown skyline.  They designed this park RIGHT.  The food is meh (see above) but parking was $3 for a ten-minute walk to the park.  That's cheaper than the Bisons-area parking.  If you like baseball, or even if you just like baseball parks, you've got to see this one.  

Drivers:  Considerably better than Buffalo.  There's a lot of weird stuff to navigate around here, considering the mountains and rivers, and people do it well.

Hotel:  I can't wait to get home to slam the **** out of this place on every possible website.

Yep, pretty much nailed it.

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

Random city review.

Pittsburgh.

I'll have to admit I have not been downtown to hang around much.. but I've been to the Pittsburgh area many times for hockey.

Duquesne Incline is a nice experience.

Burgatory is an experience (now a local chain)

North Shore Riverfront Park is a nice area, ate at The Foundry and had General Tso's Cauliflower, one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Mindful Brewing Company.. south of Pittsburgh is a great location.

Coraopolis is a quirky little town undergoing a conversion.  It's near Robert Morris University, NW of Pittsburgh. It is home to Tootsie's.. a very tiny breakfast diner where I've had some incredible breakfast food like a Pierogi Omelette.

I guess if you consider just Downtown Pittsburgh that's one thing.  There are lots of things I don't like about Pittsburgh too, but I've definitely had some real good times there.

general tsos cauliflower-small.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

Yep, pretty much nailed it.

Either things have changed a lot since I lived in Pittsburgh (early 1990s), or @Eleven did not go to the right places.  I agree that right downtown is lacking, so one has to venture out a bit.  The strip is fantastic with little shops and cafe's and food places ... small family run places, mostly Italian.  The hill district is very nice and way out (not) in Carnegie is the best Italian Rest. I ever had the pleasure of dining in (Papa J's).

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Either things have changed a lot since I lived in Pittsburgh (early 1990s), or @Eleven did not go to the right places.  I agree that right downtown is lacking, so one has to venture out a bit.  The strip is fantastic with little shops and cafe's and food places ... small family run places, mostly Italian.  The hill district is very nice and way out (not) in Carnegie is the best Italian Rest. I ever had the pleasure of dining in (Papa J's).

It is possible that I didn't go to the right places, but I do have native guides.  I'm leaving later today.

I'm sorry to inform you that Papa J's is no more.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It is possible that I didn't go to the right places, but I do have native guides.  I'm leaving later today.

I'm sorry to inform you that Papa J's is no more.

Fair enough.

Well then, only the good die young.  Papa J's was fantastic.

EDIT TO ADD:

The original Papa J's burned down, but they are planning / hoping to re-open someplace, or rebuild it.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I once had Pennsylvania's cuisine described to me as "gas station food and ****in sandwiches"

Been here for 11 years and I think that's right on. 

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

I once had Pennsylvania's cuisine described to me as "gas station food and ****in sandwiches"

Been here for 11 years and I think that's right on. 

It is.

Sorry, @New Scotland (NS)

The food is bad.  (EDIT:  Not Ohio bad.  It's not like there were pictures of food on the menus.)  The people are wonderful.

Edited by Eleven

On 5/30/2021 at 9:25 PM, Eleven said:

Random city review.

Pittsburgh.

Lot's on the bold . Coming from deep Appalachia, I'm not sure anyone would consider PIttsburgh Appalachia, yet alone the capital (regardless of the fact is technically is). The New (recently designated with the park services!), Smokies (most visiting national park), Blue Ridge, and even Springer Mountain are all much more associated. Asheville is also more or less the "new age" cultural hub of the Appalachians as well.

The beer was nothing to write home about, at least concerning the locals. I will say that I went to quite a few different bars that served beers that I typically had to scour the earth for, which was nice.

PNC is amazing and everything you said perfectly encapsulates it. One of the best ballparks I have ever step-foot in by far. And I don't even remember having to pay to park! The outside stadium atmosphere was second to none.

Pittsburgh driving is ***** nuts. It's fast, its constant lane changes, and it's exciting. I enjoyed it a lot more when I has a smaller sedan, but it's one of my favorite spots to drive. I'm not much of a speeder, but I'll maintain the flow of traffic and i remember a caravan of probably 15 cars all going 90 plus with a cop following us just minding his own business. The curves are also a blast. Every time I drive through Pittsburgh it always slightly reminds me of the excitement of driving into DC.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

It is.

Sorry, @New Scotland (NS)

The food is bad.  (EDIT:  Not Ohio bad.  It's not like there were pictures of food on the menus.)  The people are wonderful.

Strongsville, Ohio has (used to have?) an annual rib fest and it was probably the best ribs I've ever had in my life. Other than that, it's hard to disagree. 

10 hours ago, #freejame said:

Strongsville, Ohio has (used to have?) an annual rib fest and it was probably the best ribs I've ever had in my life. Other than that, it's hard to disagree. 

None of you have been to Columbus in the last few years.  Tons of breweries and restaurants.  I don't go to chains or drink macro beer and I find plenty of places to go, downtown or in the burbs.  But it's ok.  I like it being a secret.  More for me.

On 5/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, Ducky said:

You can get it a lot cheaper than that online and delivered to your door. Me and a couple of buddies chip in and buy a half pound for about 500-550 CAD. Primo stuff.

If you want the particulars, let me know. If you e-transfer the money on Friday, you'll easily have it by the next Friday via Canada Post.

They have 1/2 ounces of hash on sale right now for 50 CAD. Edibles are cheap but I make my own...they sell shake for about 200/lb.

Close to where I live, someone told me that you can buy weed from this one Delta gas station.

What they should have said is you can buy gas from the Delta head shop. The line was out the door.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Birds are stupid.

Don't cry that my dogs ate your hatchlings, when you're the one that built the nest 3 feet off the ground. It's not like you didn't know it was coming. The dogs ate your friend when you were building the nest and you still finished it and laid eggs in it. You're dumb, now be quiet. 

Edited by ubkev
  • Sad 1

If I had a choice, I'd be 6'1 Jack Dempsey over 6'6 Jess Willard every time. In fact, give me an an entire hockey team filled with Jack Dempseys.

"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey 

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.” - Mike Tyson

OIP.jpg

s-l500 2.jpg

Edited by Kong

So I randomly started reading a collection of short stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I'd never ready anything by him other than the Great Gatsby, which I read in HS and thought was fine but wasn't blown away by it.  The short story collection is great.  It inspired me to read his wikipedia page, from which I learned that he lived much of his childhood, until age 12, in Buffalo and Syracuse.  (His dad worked for Procter and Gamble in Buffalo.)

• Like (+1) 2

We live at about 1200 ft overlooking the south from our house with the SW being the direction that we can see the farthest. We see multiple levels of horizon and have wondered how far we can actually see. We’ve tracked thunderstorms we can see via radar to central PA but it’s tough to have true reference to the horizons. 

We see three cell towers with lights by eye. One is close and we know exactly where it is. The other two were mysteries.

I recently bought a 5” reflector telescope with a 3x Barlow. Very starter level. We spotted another tower on the farthest horizon that can’t been seen by eye and Mrs. iT was hell bent on going out to find that closest tower. I thought she was nuts but she’s been doing research on cell tower locations and tonight she was so hell bent that I caved and we went out hunting. 

We found a tower 13 miles from home that has to be the closest one that we see by eye. That means the next one is even farther and the one on the far horizon that we need the telescope to see must be ridiculously far away considering that at sea level you can only see 3 miles out.

I am fine with wondering where these things are but my wife is apparently not. Apparently she is a crazy person.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

We live at about 1200 ft overlooking the south from our house with the SW being the direction that we can see the farthest. We see multiple levels of horizon and have wondered how far we can actually see. We’ve tracked thunderstorms we can see via radar to central PA but it’s tough to have true reference to the horizons. 

We see three cell towers with lights by eye. One is close and we know exactly where it is. The other two were mysteries.

I recently bought a 5” reflector telescope with a 3x Barlow. Very starter level. We spotted another tower on the farthest horizon that can’t been seen by eye and Mrs. iT was hell bent on going out to find that closest tower. I thought she was nuts but she’s been doing research on cell tower locations and tonight she was so hell bent that I caved and we went out hunting. 

We found a tower 13 miles from home that has to be the closest one that we see by eye. That means the next one is even farther and the one on the far horizon that we need the telescope to see must be ridiculously far away considering that at sea level you can only see 3 miles out.

I am fine with wondering where these things are but my wife is apparently not. Apparently she is a crazy person.

Isn't that 3 miles based on a 6' tall person looking at another 6' tall person?

The fact that you are already well over 1000 feet and that cell towers are 500+ feet, I could see the farthest one being well over 40 miles away.

At the escarpment in Lewiston (only 400ish feet), depending on the refraction of the light on the lake, you can easily see Toronto (about 35 miles).

Go find out. It'll be fun. What else you got to do?

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Isn't that 3 miles based on a 6' tall person looking at another 6' tall person?

The fact that you are already well over 1000 feet and that cell towers are 500+ feet, I could see the farthest one being well over 40 miles away.

At the escarpment in Lewiston (only 400ish feet), depending on the refraction of the light on the lake, you can easily see Toronto (about 35 miles).

Go find out. It'll be fun. What else you got to do?

I think that there would be more fun involved by taking the telescope to the site of the tower 13 miles away and trying to find our house.

• Like (+1) 1

As if working during the day doesn't make me miserable enough...a guest says to me today "you always look like De Niro's clone in Casino" with a snide look on his face.(I don't, by the way. I don't wear pastels.) So I say, "hey, thanks. That lucky shirt has really been paying off for ya these past 3 days." ...and now I'm the *****?

• Haha (+1) 1