GDT: Buffalo at the Carolina Hurricanes. 7:00 pm EST, 12/17/2016

woods-racer

First sabres game in Carolina that I'll be missing in quite some time. The canes have been playing well at home lately, and should have beat the Caps last night. Hoping the boys can grind one out.

The Canes are pretty hot right now and Cam Ward looks like his old self. Won't be an easy game at all. 

Since the current playoff system started, the average point total to qualify for the payoffs (8 seed) is 95.7.  So, a point pace where you earn 6 out of 10 (96 for the season) gives you a better-than 50/50 chance.

After 29 games, we should have 35 points to be on pace...we're 5 behind that, which is not nothing.

But a win vs. Carolina puts us only 4 points off the pace (32 points earned vs. 36 to be on playoff pace)...

Considering the number of "winnable" games coming up, this next stretch is absolutely crucial.

Cmon guys...

Cam Ward has been around since the last ice age it seems! He was involved in our injured defensemen series and Jacks to thriller last year

I was just gonna say... Cam Ward, really?

Stop whining Flagg. I just wanna have a nice dinner without you worrying about the Sabres! We're still recording it.

I seen what you did there.

Speaking of which, did anyone else catch Rob perfectly pronouncing "repertoire" the other night? Pretty impressive.

After some recent posts in other topics I was curious as to the pace of points per game this team has accumulated vs. the past two Sabres seasons. 

I have not been able to figure out how to post an image viewable on the screen but did manage (I think) to attach a file. 

If you are interested, please check it out. I am comparing all three seasons to a 96 point pace, good enough to be in the running for the playoffs. Obviously not where they want to be long term but a reasonable goal for this season. 

The tank team's point progression, or lack thereof, is really stunning. I just sort of blanked out that year in my mind. 

Given the 21 games without Jack and the other injuries, I think this team is in an OK place relative to expectations to this point. 

Sabres tracker 12-17-2016.pdf

Since the current playoff system started, the average point total to qualify for the payoffs (8 seed) is 95.7.  So, a point pace where you earn 6 out of 10 (96 for the season) gives you a better-than 50/50 chance.

After 29 games, we should have 35 points to be on pace...we're 5 behind that, which is not nothing.

But a win vs. Carolina puts us only 4 points off the pace (32 points earned vs. 36 to be on playoff pace)...

Considering the number of "winnable" games coming up, this next stretch is absolutely crucial.

Cmon guys...

Only problem is that the flyers and blue jackets are on a hell of a winning streak.    Also the west can't seem to win a game against metro teams.

I read somewhere that a wild card spot in the east might be around 103 points this year.

Only problem is that the flyers and blue jackets are on a hell of a winning streak.    Also the west can't seem to win a game against metro teams.

I read somewhere that a wild card spot in the east might be around 103 points this year.

103 points for wildcard spot?

Thems some sour berries you're dishing out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.