GDT: NY Islanders at Buffalo 7:00 pm ET, 12/16/2016

Doohickie

The Sabres are starting to look like they can play, but they're still at the bottom of the standings... well, except for the Islanders, the only team behind us in the conference.

We should be able to win this game, and we HAVE to win this game if we have any designs on climbing into the playoff race.  The Sabres "problem" now is that players are getting healthy and DD needs to figure out who plays where, and who sits.  For instance, Daily Face Off shows the roster below, but that doesn't take into account that both Fedun and Bogo fully participated in practice Thursday.  Can either of them play?  If they do, who sits?  If Bogo's ready, Falk sits I think, but if Fedun is ready, does he play?  Has he shown enough to give Franson or Gorges a rest (even if only for a game or so)?

Tune in closer to game time to see what the roster really looks like.

Also of note, Kaner is still on the 4th line.  The way DD rolls his lines one or two players at a time, that may give him some ice time with the first line, as happened when he scored his third period goal Tuesday.  Will that be enough to stoke is apparently fragile ego (come on, man, smile when you score)?  Well, maybe if he scores again...

The Isles are coming off a 5-4 loss to Chicago Thursday night.  Hopefully the Sabres can take advantage of their defense and put up a bunch of goals again.  If the Sabres can start hard and keep the pedal to the metal, the Islanders should be tired by the third, playing their second game is as many nights.  Tavares continues to impress, but deeper into the lineup the talent isn't there.

31302406900_fa335ffd1b_b.jpg  30833630424_7f20217fb4_b.jpg

All three of these players are in the Sabres organization now- Ullmark, Gus and Okposo :)

520041616_slide.jpg

I have friends over tonight, so I won't be able to watch the game while it's on, but I'll likely record it and watch it after they leave and/or tomorrow morning. It's easy to avoid hockey scores down here.

We really need to put together a big win streak the next two weeks: Islanders, Canes, Panthers, Canes, Islanders. I'd love it if we went on a 6 game winning streak here, but I'll settle for 5-1 (or maybe 4-0-2). We can't really afford to lose these games after such a bad start if we want to be serious about playoffs.

We're 5-3-2 in our last 10 (4-2-1 since Jack's return). That's 12/20 points (9/14 with Jack). But we need to push that above a .500 win rate for any hope of catching those ahead of us. We've shown we can beat some good teams, so now we need to take advantage of some of our fellow bottom feeders to show we don't belong among them.

Carolina is only 2 points ahead of us, with 1 more game played. Florida is 3 points ahead of us with 3 more games played. These are teams we should be able to beat.

We need to carry the momentum from Tuesday through the weekend. Here's to hoping for a 4 point weekend!

Edited by SabresBaltimore

Don't know about that, the Islanders have been playing well lately.

Lost 5-4 last night in Chicago I believe and may be delayed getting here. We're rested and they still suck, in the standings at least. We better win if we want to chase the playoffs

Boston lost last night too

The Sabres are starting to look like they can play, but they're still at the bottom of the standings... well, except for the Islanders, the only team behind us in the conference.

We should be able to win this game...

So according to this logic, the Sabres should only be able to beat the Islanders?

The next 6 games are very winnable leading up to back to back vs Bruins. This is the run that will determine if the Sabres can make the playoffs or not. They have to be at worst 4-2 and then climb back into the 3rd spot in the division facing 2 against Boston.

Oh boy! Glad you posted this. Hope they win so we play Boston in meaningful games...and win! 

Must win!!

The Sabres have to win the games they should win and even some that they shouldn't.

The Islanders are not world beaters, but not a bad team either.

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be parity in the NHL this year, with very little separating top from bottom teams.

I believe the Sabres will win and rather convincingly.

GO SABRES!!

So is this a Randall Flagg .500 game? Or is a Flagg .500 when the Sabres can get back to .500 but fail to do so?

I believe the Sabres are at *NHL* and *Randall* .500 now (not DeLuca .500, which is a more accurate measure, IMO).  So, they can go over, or under, .500 tonight.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.