Reinhart quietly has the best net-front presence of any Sabre since __________.

That Aud Smell

52 members have voted

1. 1. Since?

• Dave Andreychuck
    • Chris Gratton
    • JP Dumont
    • Thomas Vanek

FWIW, this is the list of centers for the Caps in 07-08:

I'm pretty sure none of those guys is Eichel-level. I'm not sure any of them are ROR level, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that.

Well Fedorov is in the HOF and Nylander I believe was in the last big year he had for his career but having said that I don't know where they would rate at the time. The Caps did make the playoffs that year so Backstrom had that going for him.

And again, I'm not an anti-Samsonite, I just don't see superstar in him.

By 07-08, Federov was at the end of his career.  By 2009 he was playing in the KHL.  Nowhere near his peak (think Gionta on the Sabres.... and then take it down a notch).

I don't have a problem with Samson *not* being a superstar.  He is still a very important cog in the machine.

My point was not to say Samson is as good as Backstrom was in year 2. My point is that when people discuss the best centers or players in the game, I almost never hear Backstrom's name come up until well into the discussion, if ever. But his body of work says he deserves to be in the first few names mentioned. I think he doesn't get in because he doesn't skate like the wind or have a laser beam shot or send guys flying with huge hits...he's a sublimely smooth player with great passing, but physically he doesn't jump off the ice at you. Reinhart's in that mold--there's even an argument he was better than Jack at even strength last year, but good luck convincing anyone of it.

Yup. All of this.

• 2 months later...

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/01/digging-into-impact-of-sam-reinhart.html

Great article on Sam's value to the Sabres.  

Sam's next deal will be very interesting.  My rule of thumb is $100k per point.  Sam had 42 last year and is on pace for around 53 this season.  If he takes another step next season, are we looking at a $6 per season deal?

FYI, Jack is on a 70 point pace this season (if he hadn't gotten hurt).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Read somewhere Vanek actually wanted to come back to the sabres, but management declined him.

Was for the same price he is playing in detroit right now. I know he is not liked but I would have taken that deal.

Me too...he isn't the 35-40 goal scorer he was once but he's good for 20...has 38 points in 47 games this year...could have used that when Eichel was hurt for 20 games...

I found the Travolta your name app and it came out with Shannon Reynzo.

Eternally in your debt for bringing this to my attention.

Don't even need to download it!

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_concept/2014/03/john_travolta_called_idina_menzel_adele_dazeem_what_s_your_travolta_name.html

Edited by Thorny

Samson has been quietly the best player for me this year.   Most of the creative things came from him on both sides of the rink.

I agree. He's had a couple of gaffs, but I can blame those on youth. Every other time, he always does the exact thing you think a player should do in that situation to make the right play.

Samson has been quietly the best player for me this year.   Most of the creative things came from him on both sides of the rink.

I agree. He's had a couple of gaffs, but I can blame those on youth. Every other time, he always does the exact thing you think a player should do in that situation to make the right play.

Agree. Really his most notable screw-ups happen when he fails to bury golden chances.

Mostly because he is a playmaker, not a finisher.

But hey, why should we care about missing out on a first-line calibre centre when we can have top six winger?

Agree. Really his most notable screw-ups happen when he fails to bury golden chances.

Mostly because he is a playmaker, not a finisher.

But hey, why should we care about missing out on a first-line calibre centre when we can have top six winger?

I'm confused, are you saying we should play Reinhart in the middle (ahead of Jack and ROR)?  Or is this a reference to Kane?

The goals to assists ratio this season is what I always expected from Sam.  I thought he'd be the guy who feed Jack (and Kane?) the puck in scoring positions, not the other way around.  However, I think Sam has the skills to score 30 when he hits his prime.   

Sam Reinhart has the brains and the hands be an elite centre, somewhere between Bergeron and Sedin.

He does not have the skill set to be an elite winger; he lacks the size, speed and shot. His upside on the wing isn't much more than we see now, sort of a better Brad Boyes, a Thomas Vanek without the shot, but with some defence.

I have no time for "but who's going to be on the third line?" rigid arguments. The best Sabres team in the past 20 years had Drury, Briere and Connolly on different lines. What's wrong with the option of having an elite player out every shift?

Kyle and Ryan; Jack and Alex; Sam and Evander. Let those guys roll.

Mix and match the best of Carrier, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, Rodrigues, Pu, Asplund, Larsson, Foligno and Girgensons into the other six spots around them

Sam Reinhart has the brains and the hands be an elite centre, somewhere between Bergeron and Sedin.

He does not have the skill set to be an elite winger; he lacks the size, speed and shot. His upside on the wing isn't much more than we see now, sort of a better Brad Boyes, a Thomas Vanek without the shot, but with some defence.

I have no time for "but who's going to be on the third line?" rigid arguments. The best Sabres team in the past 20 years had Drury, Briere and Connolly on different lines. What's wrong with the option of having an elite player out every shift?

Mix and match the best of Carrier, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, Rodrigues, Pu, Asplund, Larsson, Foligno and Girgensons into the other six spots around them

This post is a beaut.

Amen, I say!

Vanek and Reinhart have very different styles in front of the net.  Vanek planted himself and hung in there.  His signature tip was usually between his own legs. Samson is more of a lurker, constantly swiveling around the goal and timing his screen with the shot.  I remember most of Reinhart's tips being higher than Vanek's, with Sam bringing his stick down to make ridiculously exact slight contact.

Yes. Vanek exposed himself to more punishing hits and paid for it, too. Samson is more of a stealth player

He really reminds me of Burgeron. Very similar players, IMO

Duda, i think it is perfectly reasonable to think we should be eventually move Sam back to center as our third center.

However, I somewhat disagree that Sam can't be a very good winger long-term. We have seen him be effective as a net front presence and now as a playmaker. This isn't to different then Patrick Kane. Im not saying Samson is as good or will be as good as Kane, but he has many of the same attributes.

That said, if we can get 20+ goal type performance from guys like Nylander, Bailey, and Baptiste, moving Sam to 3rd center could be a luxury we can afford.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.