Reinhart quietly has the best net-front presence of any Sabre since __________.

That Aud Smell

52 members have voted

1. 1. Since?

• Dave Andreychuck
    • Chris Gratton
    • JP Dumont
    • Thomas Vanek

And then comparisons to some of the Sabres' best net front guys will be appropriate. Right now, he's not there. (But he almost definitely will get there IF that continues to be the role they slot him in.)

True in that it appears to be the only good thing he's NHL level at, at the moment. Most overrated guy on the team right now. Disappointing for a 2nd pick in the draft. Needs an all star level Center to make him look good. As of now there are no worries about him blowing up our cap space when he's a RFA.

True in that it appears to be the only good thing he's NHL level at, at the moment. Most overrated guy on the team right now. Disappointing for a 2nd pick in the draft. Needs an all star level Center to make him look good. As of now there are no worries about him blowing up our cap space when he's a RFA.

I'm pretty sure this is what Dan Bylsma thinks.

I remember the broadcast crew pointing out how Reinhart was standing in front of the GT and despite looking away from the net, he was moving in perfect sync to stay directly between the GT and the puck. I have no idea how to find that video, though.

Ummm...Wut?

http://youtu.be/9lo94e_oN54

Notice the dozen plays or so that Jack is not spoon feeding Sam.

Anyone worried or bothered by what Sam is showing should look up the paths of Galchenyuk and Scheifele, their early criticisms, what they did in their first and second years, and where they are now.

He's ahead of both of them at his age.

I also think, that as a general rule, silky pass-first players without a standout physical skill set tend to go underappreciated. When talking about the best centers in the game, people will always gravitate towards Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. well before they get to someone like Backstrom.

I also think, that as a general rule, silky pass-first players without a standout physical skill set tend to go underappreciated. When talking about the best centers in the game, people will always gravitate towards Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. well before they get to someone like Backstrom.

I don't want to come off as an anti-Samsonite but Backstrom at the end of his rookie year was the center on the Caps #1 line. Samson isn't close to that level as a center on this team. Appreciate your insite but lousy example IMO. He was also touted shortly after coming into the league as the best Swede to do so in years.

I don't want to come off as an anti-Samsonite but Backstrom at the end of his rookie year was the center on the Caps #1 line. Samson isn't close to that level as a center on this team. Appreciate your insite but lousy example IMO. He was also touted shortly after coming into the league as the best Swede to do so in years.

FWIW, this is the list of centers for the Caps in 07-08:

I'm pretty sure none of those guys is Eichel-level. I'm not sure any of them are ROR level, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that.

FWIW, this is the list of centers for the Caps in 07-08:

I'm pretty sure none of those guys is Eichel-level. I'm not sure any of them are ROR level, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that.

Well Fedorov is in the HOF and Nylander I believe was in the last big year he had for his career but having said that I don't know where they would rate at the time. The Caps did make the playoffs that year so Backstrom had that going for him.

And again, I'm not an anti-Samsonite, I just don't see superstar in him.

Edited by jsb

My point was not to say Samson is as good as Backstrom was in year 2. My point is that when people discuss the best centers or players in the game, I almost never hear Backstrom's name come up until well into the discussion, if ever. But his body of work says he deserves to be in the first few names mentioned. I think he doesn't get in because he doesn't skate like the wind or have a laser beam shot or send guys flying with huge hits...he's a sublimely smooth player with great passing, but physically he doesn't jump off the ice at you. Reinhart's in that mold--there's even an argument he was better than Jack at even strength last year, but good luck convincing anyone of it.

And then comparisons to some of the Sabres' best net front guys will be appropriate. Right now, he's not there. (But he almost definitely will get there IF that continues to be the role they slot him in.)

I agree. He is good but hasn't reached that other level yet.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.