Let the Fire Bylsma Watch begin

matter2003

Benching him for a turnover is pretty stupid considering he is your best and hottest player.  Jack has only 35 giveaways for the entire season and 28 takeaways.  That's only -7.  If DD is going nuts about that he needs his head examined.  

Jack is second in giveaways to Risto (52) but only has had one more then Okposo who only has 25 takeaways. Jack is a 2nd year player who is still learning what he can and can't do in the NHL.  These are the growing pains we need to expect from the most dynamic and creative player on the team.

What worries me more is the 40% faceoff  win%.  If Jack is going to be an elite player and help us shrink ROR's TOI, he needs to get to 50% or better.

Good schtuff.

Benching a player for one mistake on one rush up ice is dumb. DB really is a relic, isn't he? What's next? Suicide sprints? Pushups? Take the lockerroom trash out to the curb?

I know it. He said it. JFC. Just hit the bricks already.

Also, for those who've said it, I agree that if GM TM doesn't separate Dreary Dan than he can take a flying leap as well.

Of course, that would leave the Sabres hockey department completely rudderless. Which would also suck.

It's a big problem. Murray seemed to consolidate power. LaLa, Patrick, Sawyer and -- yes, Battista -- are gone. If Pegula fires Murray, who hires the replacement? Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for your hiring committee, Terry and Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon.

Isn't it doing that now?

Though I think he deserved to be fired by now, I don't think it's insane to give him the full year to try to correct some of the struggles.

Good schtuff.

Benching a player for one mistake on one rush up ice is dumb. DB really is a relic, isn't he? What's next? Suicide sprints? Pushups? Take the lockerroom trash out to the curb?

It's a big problem. Murray seemed to consolidate power. LaLa, Patrick, Sawyer and -- yes, Battista -- are gone. If Pegula fires Murray, who hires the replacement? Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together for your hiring committee, Terry and Kim Pegula and Russ Brandon.

Why do you consider it a big problem? After all, you think an owner's one job is to hire people.

I'm not sure how much of that was GM TM.

PLF seemed to pave his own path out of town. Patrick always seemed like he was just here for a cup of coffee - doing a favour to (and getting checks from) owners who were learning the ropes. Same-wise for Sawyer, and he's not really a hockey person. Battista? Pssshh.

It's PLF whom I miss. I wanted that to work so much. Then again, look at the bumbling going on in Colorado. The former franchise player as president model seems to have worked in Boston, but there are surely no guarantees.

I won't be satisfied, I think, until the Pegulas have presidents of football and hockey operations, respectively. Thing is - I think Brandon has Terry convinced that he doesn't need them. My pet theory: Brandon has a peculiar talent for understanding what motivates and appeals to owners, and then pitches them on just that. In corporate MBA speak this is called something - mirroring, maybe? Ed Helms' character in NBC's Office did a bit on it in one episode. It's basically a really effective way of ingratiating yourself to your superiors -- you just give them back who and what they are; this is especially effective when your superiors understand poorly who and what they are (that's where the skill comes in).

Why do you consider it a big problem? After all, you think an owner's one job is to hire people.

Per PA, I think the idea is that owners are supposed to hire the people who hire the people. Maybe they also should think about hiring people to hire the people who hire the people?

This is what your head coach wants, on a team built entirely on forwards with one of, if not the, worst blue line in the league

“We can’t live and die by the power play,” defenseman Cody Franson said. “We’ve got to be better five-on-five. We’ve got to manage the puck better, not give up as much and be a little more opportunistic.

“Instead of playing loose and trying to generate something, I think if we pull the reins back on ourselves a little bit, play a little bit better positionally and a little more patient, I think we’ll give ourselves a better chance to be on the right side of the puck more often.”

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/07/sabres-deteriorating-season-crumbles/

Edited by WildCard

Funny I thought DD was trying what Cody wanted early in the year and that didn't work either.  Weren't people here critical of DD for not opening it up more?  Not the we have gone 1-5-2 with a more open style, now what? Maybe the problem Cody is you and your mates on defense?

Funny I thought DD was trying what Cody wanted early in the year and that didn't work either. Weren't people here critical of DD for not opening it up more? Not the we have gone 1-5-2 with a more open style, now what? Maybe the problem Cody is you and your mates on defense?

I don't think we've opened it up more at all, we're just having more frequent coverage breakdowns, and those pucks are ending up in the back of our net.

It is an owner's one primary job. I mean, it has to start somewhere. The problem is this owner making the hire. Maybe Smell's begat to the third power theory isn't bad. I have Scotty Bowman stuck in my head for this. TPegs runs into him at a Clarence coffee shop and asks him to recommend a good hockey president, and that president hires the next GMTM, and so on.

Wouldn't the league offer any technical assistance? A headhunter? A list of candidates?

I don't think we've opened it up more at all, we're just having more frequent coverage breakdowns, and those pucks are ending up in the back of our net.

I think most of it is the fact that it's the same as before: we get leads then we go into the Byslma shell. Getting leads isn't his problem, it's keeping them

It is an owner's one primary job. I mean, it has to start somewhere. The problem is this owner making the hire. Maybe Smell's begat to the third power theory isn't bad. I have Scotty Bowman stuck in my head for this. TPegs runs into him at a Clarence coffee shop and asks him to recommend a good hockey president, and that president hires the next GMTM, and so on.

Wouldn't the league offer any technical assistance? A headhunter? A list of candidates?

So long as Scotty doesn't suggest himself and Pegs runs with it, which he, no doubt, would ...  :ph34r:

agreed 100%...Dallas is a complete mess. I actually think GMTM is fine...he has made some bold but cool trades (Oreilly was a steal) and he at least tries to do something unlike Darcy.  I do think the owners were (are) in love with Blysma and were pissed when Babs shuffled off to Toronto after giving his word and now they do not wish to fire Blysma when this was their idea in the first place. Is Hitchcock a good alternative???

Hitchcock doesn't have a good enough track record for you?

I was wondering about Kevin Dineen. I liked him when he was with our Portland affiliate.

At this point, I would take the winner of a raffle during fan appreciation as our next coach.

I'm thinking Captain Kangaroo would be worse than Bylsma.

Then again, if you're willing to take the raffle winner, he'd probably be better than that.

I'm still angry this morning. This year has been a total waste. In a season that started with injuries, they're now missing the playoffs, and instead of finishing strong and showing that they're improved, and that the playoff miss was just bad luck, it would appear that this team actually just suuuuuuuucks. They are no better than they were in the pre-season. Zero improvement. In fact I would say this is regression.

I agree. We can see significant improvement on an individual basis, with guys like Eichel, Kane, and Reinhart, but the whole right now is noticeably less than the sum of it's parts, for some reason. The parts themselves are certainly in need of upgrade and some fine tuning, particular the defence, but something is severely diminishing the team from within, and all signs point to that being Bylsma.

I'm not sure what Kukla's Korner is, or who Dave Davis is, but I enjoy his material and Tweets.

Here's his recent take on Bylsma.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/bylsmas-future-in-buffalo-is-bleak

An excerpt:

"Meanwhile, the once radical theory that Sabres players are consciously or subconsciously diverting a bit from the coaching staff's game plans -- out of confusion, inability, rebellion or indifference -- is actually starting to gain some legs. There just isn't another reasonable answer available to the question of how so many defensive zone lapses can occur so often in so many games. Last night's parting of the Red Sea for Claude Giroux is Exhibit A. In a nutshell, the inmates are running the asylum. Bylsma seems unable or unwilling to force his imprint on this group. He does not appear to have control of his team. And it doesn't fare well at all for his future in Buffalo. . . . ometimes there are just bad fits. For whatever reason, it seems as though Bylsma is not a good match with this roster. We've seen good coaches do extremely well in one town and stink it up in another. It's chemistry."

I mean at this point it's become the equivalent of denying climate change for me. There is no possible way Bylsma is 

a) a good coach

b) does not deserve to be fired

c) won't repeat this same season next year if he is here

d) can put together a 2 piece puzzle