Dan Byslma Needs to Go?

WildCard

I don't like what I'm seeing from Bylsma, but I'll caution against rotating doors and against firing someone without a solid available replacement.

The latter was my main problem the last time this issue came up, and the Sabres are now on their third coach since then.

Should I post some of my and true' points in here? Because there's a lot of bitching about us bitching, but not a lot of focus on what we're saying. If points are presented that counter mine, I'll adjust my view. He would too.

Please do so

If you don't like the thread, don't view it.

If any of that is directed at me let me say that I understand there are frustrations, and I have em too but after enduring the tank and adding dd who was the second highest profile coach, does anyone really think that DD would be under the gun here? ? ? Is that what any non laughingstock organization would think?

We didn't get Badcock and some of this sounds like buthurt because no Badcock.I think DD has been pretty damn frustrating but I don't fault him that Ennis isn't up to speed or that Zemgus may not understand or things like that. 

We're down two top players. We've got three out of four points on this roadie. After enduring the tank we're complaining already? Jeesus. I can't go all negative just yet. I need to breathe a while.

P.S. Randall if that wasn't directed at me, nevermind!

No, he doesn't need to go.

This insanity is fueled by the fact the Sabres didn't get Babcock and now everyone's all a tizzy.

Just remember, when you recommend that the coach should go you should also have come up with a suitable replacement option.  Who would it be?

If message board posters determined the fate of sports coaches/managers very few would last a full season. Sports fans are emotion driven and emotions nullify brain activity many times. Some don't even need to get emotional for this to happen.

I don't like what I'm seeing from Bylsma, but I'll caution against rotating doors and against firing someone without a solid available replacement.

The latter was my main problem the last time this issue came up, and the Sabres are now on their third coach since then.

I agree that I don't want him gone yet. It's too soon. Let this team try to gel with the current coaching staff.

But history says the writing is already on the wall for Bylsma unless he changes his ways. He'll probably get through next season, but a lot depends on what this team does this year.

Are you guys like 12 years old? 3 games in this year (and by the way, we're not 0-3) and a 29 point improvement last year over 14/15. Not perfect but he's fine. There are worse problems than him playing Grant 15 mins.

And now snide remarks about age! Is anyone telling us to sit down and shut up actually going to address the criticisms on the merits?

And now snide remarks about age! Is anyone telling us to sit down and shut up actually going to address the criticisms on the merits?

Of course not! We just need to put our blinders on! Dan's never coached anywhere but here, ya see? And a couple of our guys are hurt, ya see? 

Dan is innocent! He didn't do it! 

I'd take Todd Richards. Personally I hold out hope that the Stars will keep failing and Ruff will come home

Not the 5-3,3-3, The Alamo, Grants minutes, dump and chase, or the lines?

I'm fine with Grants minutes, the dump and chase and the 3-on-3.   The 5-on-3 needs to be better, not enough pucks getting to the net, puck movement is too slow and sloppy, but it's a new unit who likely hasn't spent much time practicing it.   

On goal 3?

Yes, on CGY's third goal Risto had the puck on his stick and again forced a pass up the boards right to a CGY player who sprung Tkachuk.   Then instead of challenging Tkachuk, Risto backs off and for some reason is playing it like a 2-on-1 while Gorges is already covering the middle of the ice.     

A14pAUr.jpg

Edited by pi2000

I'm not sure DDB was the best coach to be had when hired him, but we got him. He had his knocks as not the greatest in game decision maker from his Pens days, he's still got that baggage.  

His plus side was a great teacher and a good mentor for young players. 

So with that said...

When the players turn, and they always do if they lose faith in their coach, then it's time to go. Right now his teaching is still trumping his bench bossing and the players are still listening.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Are you guys like 12 years old? 3 games in this year (and by the way, we're not 0-3) and a 29 point improvement last year over 14/15. Not perfect but he's fine. There are worse problems than him playing Grant 15 mins.

PSSSSST PSSSSSST, CT FAB you are not supposed to be in here. I think nfreeman had WildCard start this thread to get all the hormonals in one area so he could finish up the fence. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone I told you. Now lets get outta here.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last years improvement was inevitable

And it's been 85 games, and nothing has changed. The team was bound to improve, that's thanks to Murray. Many of us believe DD holds the team back

The worst problems about this team fan be directly attributed to DD

And ankle sprains

Pi, how have you possibly been ok with his 3-3 choices? 2 D? Reinhart never on the ice for it? Gionta always on the pp and 3-3? It's terrible

No, he doesn't need to go.

This insanity is fueled by the fact the Sabres didn't get Babcock and now everyone's all a tizzy.

Just remember, when you recommend that the coach should go you should also have come up with a suitable replacement option. Who would it be?

Todd Richards

Some AHL coach like Cooper or Blashill we haven't heard of

Flagg or Blue

If any of that is directed at me let me say that I understand there are frustrations, and I have em too but after enduring the tank and adding dd who was the second highest profile coach, does anyone really think that DD would be under the gun here? ? ? Is that what any non laughingstock organization would think?

We didn't get Badcock and some of this sounds like buthurt because no Badcock.I think DD has been pretty damn frustrating but I don't fault him that Ennis isn't up to speed or that Zemgus may not understand or things like that.

We're down two top players. We've got three out of four points on this roadie. After enduring the tank we're complaining already? Jeesus. I can't go all negative just yet. I need to breathe a while.

P.S. Randall if that wasn't directed at me, nevermind!

I don't care how high of a profile he is. Torts is a high profile too

I don't fault him for I injuries or player performances, I fault him for directly the things he responsible for, like forechecm styles, special teams, OT, and possession game. All things, btw, Babcock excels at

And no, my comment about the thread was not directed at you

Edited by WildCard

WC, it's not true that nothing has changed. Last year we started out the bitching about the dump and chase. It wasn't coincidence that we saw less and less of it as Jack came into his own and Kane got back to game shape. It's also not a coincidence that we are bitching about it with those two out.

WC, it's not true that nothing has changed. Last year we started out the bitching about the dump and chase. It wasn't coincidence that we saw less and less of it as Jack came into his own and Kane got back to game shape. It's also not a coincidence that we are bitching about it with those two out.

Is that the case? I wish we had stats on it. Does anyone else believe this to be the case? I honestly don't know. All reports out of Pitt said he likes the dump and chase, so I'm not sure that it's player specific

I'm fine with Grants minutes, the dump and chase and the 3-on-3. The 5-on-3 needs to be better, not enough pucks getting to the net, puck movement is too slow and sloppy, but it's a new unit who likely hasn't spent much time practicing it.

Yes, on CGY's third goal Risto had the puck on his stick and again forced a pass up the boards right to a CGY player who sprung Tkachuk. Then instead of challenging Tkachuk, Risto backs off and for some reason is playing it like a 2-on-1 while Gorges is already covering the middle of the ice.

A14pAUr.jpg

I got you, I thought you meant goal 2 because I thought that was goal 3. That was indeed a poor play, and I like d4rk's explanation that Lehner anticipated Risto to do something he didn't do, though I still want Lehner to stop it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll get the Dan points in here later still, test is out of the way but I still have stuff to do

But no, I'm not being young and immature and stupid and reactionary, I'm building off of a full season's worth of observations of Dan and comparing them to his Pittsburgh days.

Is that the case? I wish we had stats on it. Does anyone else believe this to be the case? I honestly don't know. All reports out of Pitt said he likes the dump and chase, so I'm not sure that it's player specific

I know we talked about it here.

We also talked about how it looked like he was doing a complete overhaul of the system by thirds. The first third of the year was just working on our own end, next was the transition game, and then finally the offensive zone.

These first three games tells me that some of the guys forgot what they learned last year (and maybe guys like Franson never learned it due to injury.)

Also, DaC isn't always bad. If the other team is stacking the blue line and you have the guys who can play it, it can be the right option.

I honestly forget. Were you in the "who's out there that's better than Lindy?" crowd? There are always solid replacements, it's just a matter of finding them. You either get a current great or a next great. I fear the Sabres ended up with someone solidly in the middle.

Did the tank give us one piece we really coveted? We didn't even get Jimmy what's his face.

Jack was the only player last year that didn't dump and chase. Kane would dump it to himself, usually too far.

I know we talked about it here.

We also talked about how it looked like he was doing a complete overhaul of the system by thirds. The first third of the year was just working on our own end, next was the transition game, and then finally the offensive zone.

These first three games tells me that some of the guys forgot what they learned last year (and maybe guys like Franson never learned it due to injury.)

Also, DaC isn't always bad. If the other team is stacking the blue line and you have the guys who can play it, it can be the right option.

I don't buy the "learning a systen in parts" defense that a lot of people have given for Bylsma. The Leafs looked like a much more structured team last year than we did, despite the fact that they were tanking. I don't think Bylsma's system is going to change, I think this is it.

Jack was the only player last year that didn't dump and chase. Kane would dump it to himself, usually too far.

I don't buy the "learning a systen in parts" defense that a lot of people have given for Bylsma. The Leafs looked like a much more structured team last year than we did, despite the fact that they were tanking. I don't think Bylsma's system is going to change, I think this is it.

I'll just say this. Last year, I enjoyed watching the Sabres play in their own zone way more than at any time under Lindy Ruff.

I don't really follow. Their D-zone play was better?

At times, yes, but it was different. Wingers don't play as deep, there's a guy and the dot to get that short pass out from the boards,... just different. They look like they are struggling right now with it but I think it will improve.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.