Movies / TV Shows - I Have Watched / Plan To Watch

Sabres Fan in NS

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

Anyone seen The Green Knight? Second favourite movie of the year so far, for me. 

Also, Jodie Comer's performance in The Last Duel is exceptional.  

A ranking of the films I've seen at the theatre, this year so far:

No Time to Die > The Green Knight > Black Widow = Jungle Cruise = The Last Duel > Cop Shop > Shang-Chi = Venom 2 > The Suicide Squad > The Protege > Candyman > Fast 9 = Free Guy

I hated Green Knight. Wanted to like it but felt like it just confused itself and didn’t deliver anything meaningful. That and the director himself said he didn’t understand or have a purpose for a handful of things that happened in his own movie.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I hated Green Knight. Wanted to like it but felt like it just confused itself and didn’t deliver anything meaningful. That and the director himself said he didn’t understand or have a purpose for a handful of things that happened in his own movie.

The cinematography alone for me puts it over the top. It was a pleasure looking it

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is most definitely true.

Didn't think it was incredible or anything, just 2nd out of what I've seen. Had a late start this year due to theatres not being open due to covid. 

I knew what I was getting into and went in let's say...prepared to especially enjoy a visual experience

Edited by Thorny

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Didn't think it was incredible or anything, just 2nd out of what I've seen. Had a late start this year due to theatres not being open due to covid. 

I knew what I was getting into and went in let's say...prepared to especially enjoy a visual experience

I saw Green Knight alone on a Saturday afternoon. Love a good trip to the cinema on my own. It’s one of just two movies I’ve seen in theatres this year. Free Guy was the other which I saw with my nephews which I thought was a lot of fun.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I saw Green Knight alone on a Saturday afternoon. Love a good trip to the cinema on my own. It’s one of just two movies I’ve seen in theatres this year. Free Guy was the other which I saw with my nephews which I thought was a lot of fun.

It's great in it's own way. 

On 11/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Thorny said:

Anyone seen The Green Knight? Second favourite movie of the year so far, for me. 

Also, Jodie Comer's performance in The Last Duel is exceptional.  

A ranking of the films I've seen at the theatre, this year so far:

No Time to Die > The Green Knight > Black Widow = Jungle Cruise = The Last Duel > Cop Shop > Shang-Chi = Venom 2 > The Suicide Squad > The Protege > Candyman > Fast 9 = Free Guy

I didn’t like Green Knight at all.  Just a bunch of gibberish pretending to be art.

I also thought the Saints of Newark was pretty lousy.

I thought the Bond movie was OK, but I find all of them more or less OK.

Red Notice on Netflix was of a piece with most of their recent big budget action movies — stupid but briskly paced and reasonably enjoyable if you like that genre.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

This new Beatles Get Back documentary/footage that Peter Jackson put together is amazing. No current-day reflection talking head interviews, little-to-no anachronistic stuff (like.... they include the Dehra Dun audio from the Anthology interview, but almost nothing else after a prologue of how they got to where they were in 1969). It's just hours of the functioning of a tired band trying to beat a deadline. 

Wooohooo, Thompson! Just as they were looking bumbly in their zone, Tage gets flattened, but that leaves him unguarded for the laserblast. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Season 3 of Succession was outstanding.

Derry Girls, which is on Netflix, is also outstanding (kinda similar to the movie "The Commitments" although without the music).  Very bingeable -- it's a 30-min comedy, and there have been 2 seasons of 6 episodes each.

"The Power of the Dog," a new western movie on Netflix, was decent, but a bit critically overrated IMHO.

The problem with Revolutions is it's a ham-handed allegory. Neo is Jesus - we get it. 

I actually enjoyed Reloaded though quite a bit and the first one of course stands on it's own. 

Looking forward to seeing the new one, but trying to keep expectations in check. 

21 hours ago, nfreeman said:

That trilogy went way downhill IMHO.  The first one was an all-time classic, the 2nd one was meh and the third was downright bad.  

Until I rewatch them in preparation to see the new one, this is my recollection as well.

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

The problem with Revolutions is it's a ham-handed allegory. Neo is Jesus - we get it.

The one redeeming thing about Revolutions (see what I did there?) that I can remember was that it had the swirling school-of-fish robot attacks. I thought that that was an inspired choice for robot intelligence to make... if completely illogical in that it allows the enemy to concentrate their fire on focused area. Rather than just swarming from all sides at once when you have overwhelmingly significant numbers and are operating in a three-dimensional battlefield where your squidbots can fly. So --- it looked cool, but it was really foolish choice for a superior intellect.

Also just watched the finale of Wheel of Time season 1. And it was...  fine? It was fine. I think the remainder of however many seasons they do with it will also be fine. Maybe not as fine as Samson Reinhart's career will be fine.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Until I rewatch them in preparation to see the new one, this is my recollection as well.

The one redeeming thing about Revolutions (see what I did there?) that I can remember was that it had the swirling school-of-fish robot attacks. I thought that that was an inspired choice for robot intelligence to make... if completely illogical in that it allows the enemy to concentrate their fire on focused area. Rather than just swarming from all sides at once when you have overwhelmingly significant numbers and are operating in a three-dimensional battlefield where your squidbots can fly. So --- it looked cool, but it was really foolish choice for a superior intellect.

Also just watched the finale of Wheel of Time season 1. And it was...  fine? It was fine. I think the remainder of however many seasons they do with it will also be fine. Maybe not as fine as Samson Reinhart's career will be fine.

Man, the WOT. Talk about a love-hate relationship with that book series. Great idea combined with absolutely atrocious writing and character development. 

This about sums up my feelings toward that book series https://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/21832-hateful-wheel-of-time-review/

That said, I actually am looking forward to watching the show. It shouldn't have the same issues Jordan and his writing did.

Edited by WildCard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, WildCard said:

Man, the WOT. Talk about a love-hate relationship with that book series. Great idea combined with absolutely atrocious writing and character development. 

This about sums up my feelings toward that book series https://forum.malazanempire.com/topic/21832-hateful-wheel-of-time-review/

That said, I actually am looking forward to watching the show. It shouldn't have the same issues Jordan and his writing did.

I love the series overall, even some of the biggest warts, because it has some of the highest "moments of awesome" and epic-est bits of high fantasy out there. And yes, I even like the slog because the writer in me was eating popcorn watching Jordan try to keep all the plates spinning. And I also agree: there are abundant issues. Especially early on it is also a product of its time in terms of author/'80s sci-fi teen fanboys as targets/LOTR being the basis of all fantasy, etc.

And that's where a TV conversion could work wonders. Strip out the sprawl and streamline it. Fill out some of the main ideas and emphasize them (Aes Sedai in charge of the world/distrust of men and the power). The potential is there for something fun, unique, and wildly visually stunning. 

And after watching season 1 -- the potential is there. But... wow. Limiting the scripts from (10-12?) down to 8 episodes is a problem for pacing and character-building. COVID impacts on the shoots and storylines are obvious. And losing a primary actor somewhere into shooting really threw a wrench into it. When they get a chance to do a scene and slow down and breathe -- it often works. But there are stretches of incoherence and spots where it's an obvious rewrite/pickup scene and everyone is 6 feet away from each other and the script can't get everything across that is missing. It is disjointed.

And yet... it's fine for a pilot year, so to speak, if you look at it with the lens of a pilot. Just look at what COVID protocols are doing to the Sabres/Amerks lineups today... I'm imagining what that would impact in terms of trying to rewrite/reshoot an episode of a TV show midstream.

• Like (+1) 1

Does it annoy anyone else that they are re-writing Obi-Wan and Anakin's past for the new obi-wan tv series? I'm not a fan of the endless buffet-style brand SW has become but I draw the line at re-writing the OT. Bringing back Palpatine was enough. 

Edited by Thorny

26 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Does it annoy anyone else that they are re-writing Obi-Wan and Anakin's past for the new obi-wan tv series? I'm not a fan of the endless buffet-style brand SW has become but I draw the line at re-writing the OT. Bringing back Palpatine was enough. 

What’s the re-write? I haven’t heard this yet.