RICE is not the answer to sprains/strains

matter2003

I HATE the fact that RICE is still used even though myself and numerous other people who have tried something known as HEM(Hydrotherapy, Exercise and Massage) can attest that you heal much faster and actually help strengthen the ligament to help prevent further injury rather than mmaking it more susceptible to injury.

Long story short, I had gout about 5 years ago and was away and didn't have my indomethicin(I get these very rarely), so I tried to deal with it...over the course of the next few days due to how I was walking on my foot I severely sprained my ankle. It blew up to grapefruit size. Went to doctor and he wanted RICE and crutches, no walking on it for a week. Had a buddy who works in PT and he is always on the cutting edge of things. He told me about HEM and recommended I get an ebook on it. He told me he used it with people all the time and it worked exceptionally well.

Get home, got the ebook...Had to get some castor oil for the massage(it penetrates deeply). Did it twice that night, ankle went down by half the next morning. Did it two more times that day, woke up the next morning and it was almost back to normal. Started trying to walk on it, but it still hurt and it started swelling again slightly. Kept doing it twice a day and kept trying to walk on it...by 4th day I was walking normally for the most part, and by the 6th day there was no more swelling when I walked on it. Went back to doctor on day 7 and he did a double take when I walked in and asked how the hell I did that because I should still be on crutches. Told him about my PT buddy and the method he used, seemed really interested and asked me to send him the link to the book.

I did the treatment one more day and then just the exercises for another week and I was good to go.

I shudder at the archaic thinking that RICE is the best method to treat these sprains because I know first hand it isn't. Eichel will be missing at least 2-3 more weeks than he needs to using RICE and it's a shame these trainers are so prone to group think.

Actually Tom Brady has a special guy he uses to immediately massage any tweaks he has. So it's not that it's not well known, it's just not adopted well by everyone.

I personally use turmeric and make it into a paste, RICE is old but it's easier to tell a patient to do that then to actually do some work, lazy society syndrome unfortunatley.

I think the use of hydrotherapy is underutilized in all medical facets.

Rest Ice Compression Elevation...

I wish he had the same PT as me but I doubt it, my buddy is out in the Midwest now

My brother got an ankle sprain as well, did all the Rice stuff.   He only got better after ignoring his doctor and just started walking with a brace and putting some weight on it.

In the end you just have to feel it out yourself.

I HATE the fact that RICE is still used even though myself and numerous other people who have tried something known as HEM(Hydrotherapy, Exercise and Massage) can attest that you heal much faster and actually help strengthen the ligament to help prevent further injury rather than mmaking it more susceptible to injury.

Long story short, I had gout about 5 years ago and was away and didn't have my indomethicin(I get these very rarely), so I tried to deal with it...over the course of the next few days due to how I was walking on my foot I severely sprained my ankle. It blew up to grapefruit size. Went to doctor and he wanted RICE and crutches, no walking on it for a week. Had a buddy who works in PT and he is always on the cutting edge of things. He told me about HEM and recommended I get an ebook on it. He told me he used it with people all the time and it worked exceptionally well.

Get home, got the ebook...Had to get some castor oil for the massage(it penetrates deeply). Did it twice that night, ankle went down by half the next morning. Did it two more times that day, woke up the next morning and it was almost back to normal. Started trying to walk on it, but it still hurt and it started swelling again slightly. Kept doing it twice a day and kept trying to walk on it...by 4th day I was walking normally for the most part, and by the 6th day there was no more swelling when I walked on it. Went back to doctor on day 7 and he did a double take when I walked in and asked how the hell I did that because I should still be on crutches. Told him about my PT buddy and the method he used, seemed really interested and asked me to send him the link to the book.

I did the treatment one more day and then just the exercises for another week and I was good to go.

I shudder at the archaic thinking that RICE is the best method to treat these sprains because I know first hand it isn't. Eichel will be missing at least 2-3 more weeks than he needs to using RICE and it's a shame these trainers are so prone to group think.

How do you know the treatment Eichel is getting?

RICE and HEM arent mutually exclusive, and castor oil has never been shown to "penetrate deeply"  -- it simply does not absorb through the skin and provide any benefit to an injured joint. 

It is highly unlikely you had a severe high ankle sprain and were back to normal within 4-7 days.  It just defies every piece of medical evidence out there. 

The normal recovery process for a sprained ankle or knee includes RICE for the first few days to get down the swelling.  The boots are used in conjunction with a wrap and pad to further decrease swelling.  

AFTER that HEM is used to begin the rehab process - including ultrasound, pool exercises, bike, and therabands as tolerated.  

This is very similar to what you were doing.   HOWEVER, you have to let the joint heal before you begin to do these things because if this is rushed there is a greater risk of reinjury to the joint or other parts of the foot overcompensate creating greater risk of injury.

Again, RICE is a very important part, and HEM isn't really a thing by itself and there zero medical research support for it being a therapy alone.  

Eichel is getting sub-par medical care. YOU HEARD IT HERE.

Also, the Pegula dietitians won't let him eat rye bread, almonds, or pinto beans.

Not to mention that the Pegula beauticians can't do a damned thing about his mop. And think of all the hospital visits he can be making while on the shelf! What will the people think? Won't someone think of the children?!

RICE and HEM arent mutually exclusive, and castor oil has never been shown to "penetrate deeply"  -- it simply does not absorb through the skin and provide any benefit to an injured joint. 

It is highly unlikely you had a severe high ankle sprain and were back to normal within 4-7 days.  It just defies every piece of medical evidence out there. 

The normal recovery process for a sprained ankle or knee includes RICE for the first few days to get down the swelling.  The boots are used in conjunction with a wrap and pad to further decrease swelling.  

AFTER that HEM is used to begin the rehab process - including ultrasound, pool exercises, bike, and therabands as tolerated.  

This is very similar to what you were doing.   HOWEVER, you have to let the joint heal before you begin to do these things because if this is rushed there is a greater risk of reinjury to the joint or other parts of the foot overcompensate creating greater risk of injury.

Again, RICE is a very important part, and HEM isn't really a thing by itself and there zero medical research support for it being a therapy alone.  

That's the whole point...HEM is designed to get the swelling down far quicker than the body will do by itself.  You use hot and cold water to act like an internal pump and then massage away(in this case up the leg) from the area.  Castor oil in fact has many usages and is known to boost circulation and also improves immune function by increasing lymphoctyes. The circulation boost is the more important aspect as ligaments and tendons heal so slowly in comparison to other parts of the body because the circulation there is relatively poor...it doesn't get much bloodflow naturally.  The first two steps both act to help increase the circulation to that area and get what needs to come out, out.  

https://draxe.com/castor-oil/

And I agree, I didn't have a high ankle sprain, but I had a pretty bad ankle sprain, similar to ones I have gotten from playing basketball and football before, which took a minimum of 2-2.5 weeks to heal by itself, and there was no way the swelling would have been gone by day 2 or 3 without doing HEM.  

The overriding issue is that once something is established as "The Way" to do things, it is virtually impossible to get that to change.  I mean there have been hundreds of studies done that show saturated fats are not bad for you and are actually slightly beneficial for you, and that Tri-Glyceride levels are a far better indicator of future cardiovascular issues than cholesterol is(which has been shown to be one of the most overtreated conditions there is based on the evidence), but yet very few doctors will look at this information since these are "established" norms.  

The worst part about it is saturated fats got a bad rap based on one of the earliest studies done on them which was designed and carried out so poorly it would have been laughed off today. The researcher basically fit what he thought should be the result to the data instead of letting the data speak for itself----it was a complete and utter joke of a study, but it took nearly 40 years for anyone to seriously look at the study and start questioning it.  So that is a huge issue with the way things work in the medical industry---they are extremely resistant to change.  40 years before a person sat and actually read the study and realized there was no possible way he could have came to that conclusion based on the data he got, and decided to redo the study---to a far different result---results that have continued to be far different in the hundreds of follow up studies to that one.

All I'm saying is I've tried it both ways before and this way worked a hell of a lot faster and better than the RICE method.  And anyone who has tried this before will agree. I'll even go so far as to say the next time anyone here gets a sprain, try this method instead of RICE, even if you do it to prove that it won't work so you can come back here and tell us about it and tell me I'm a lying sack of horse dung, because it's going to work regardless. 

That is the best type of evidence...A person who is determined something won't work that does it to prove it won't work and then ends up proving themselves wrong.  And in regards to getting something to heal properly I'd take the advice of a PT 1000 times before I'd take the advice of a doctor...that's what they do all day long every day---work on healing injuries to various parts of the body.

Edited by matter2003

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1760498227557164&substory_index=0&id=1472717529668570

For those without facebook, the link is a picture of Samson and Back in their coordinated Halloween costumes. Jack's on crutches and in (what appears to be) a boot.

Edited by sodbuster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.