What do you think is this team's identity?

mjd1001

I have been thinking about this all summer....what do you think the identity of this team will be going forward?  I can't think of what it will be compared to other successful teams?

-Speed teams.  Teams like the Flames, Hawks (to a certain extent), Montreal. Tampa. There are teams that have a LOT of speed through a large part of their lineup. The Sabres have a few fast players (Eichel, Ennis, Kane) but they don't play fast as a team, and can't skate with the elite speed teams.

-Physical teams.  L.A.  San Jose. Teams that will punish you and wear you down.  I really don't see the Sabres being this type of team. Even the guys who do hit (or fight) don't do it often or consistent enough..and there aren't many of them.

-Skilled teams.  Maybe not the fastest..but highly skilled..from playmakers on offense to D-men that are great at moving the puck. Think Pittsburgh here.  Is this Sabres team going to be an elite, top 5 skilled team? Maybe, but I don't see it yet.

-Shut down D teams.  L.A. is another example..but maybe the best example has been Boston in recent years.  Some of the best Defensive forwards..and an Elite guy on D.  You have O'Rielly on the Sabres..but I don't see many other players filling this role.

So, when or if the Sabres become good (if they become a top 5-6 team year after year), what will this roster turn into in terms of their identity?  I can't seem to pick one.

I will say this, regardless of the personality the team eventually evokes, it's way too early to look at the team and judge or even describe it.

With ROR starting the season with an injury, the new guys (Ok and Kuli) out with injuries, and then Jack getting hurt at the end of the last practice, I think the best we can hope for over the next week or two is something that looks a lot like the beginning of last year:  Spotty (at best) chemistry as linemates learn each others' tendencies, and complete breakdowns at times because so many players are still learning the system.  Not only did DD have to deal with injuries, he's had to deal with them happening very late in training camp.  He's had very little time to adjust the team.  At mid-season, the injuries would be less disruptive as players would already be adjusted to the system and know their roles, even if they are playing with different linemates.  In this case, DD is trying to put together a team on the fly with a lot of key pieces going missing all at once, and before the team even starts playing for realz.

It doesn't mean the team sucks and it doesn't mean the coach is garbage.  It means that we're starting the season with a team we didn't think would be playing, and as a result, the key players are not playing with the other players they thought they would.  Everything is diluted and out of wack as forwards slide up and down the depth chart to cover holes.  PP and PK chemistry is disrupted.  Cats and dogs living together.

The team we saw in Game 1 is *not* this year's edition of the Buffalo Sabres.  Don't write off the season.  Even if Kane and Jack are out for extended periods, I think you're going to see a much better product on the ice as we head into November.  Until then, TANK ON.

I'd like to see them become a strong passing and possession team that's well rounded with skill, speed, grit, and defensive awareness.

It's gonna be rough going to start with all the injuries but I think we'll still have a decent shot at the playoffs by the turn of the calendar. If they can weather the storm we could be primed for a decent run once the rest of the cavalry returns.

We need to out work every team we play and let that become our identity because we aren't fast enough, skilled enough or tough enough to play any of those styles.

We're definitely skilled enough (up front anyway) to let that be our identity. True we don't have the speed to play like Pittsburgh, but we can definitely play like Detroit did when it was good. Unfortunately, we have a coach who would rather play fast north-south and grind it out on the boards...and we don't have the right players for this.

One game and we're having this discussion. Panic much.

In my original post I stated it was a discussion I had before the first game was every played.  It has NOTHING to do with panic at all, not even close....it is a general thought/question about how people think this team will be identified as going forward.  Isn't that was discussions forums are for?

Way back, when Murray was first hired he said something to the effect of "I want big, fast, skilled guys who can shoot bullets and skate through walls. But everybody wants that. If there is one thing I care most about, it is hockey sense."

I think that when the pieces come together this team's identity will be neither Pittsburgh, nor LA. It will be smart, competitive and versatile.

Remember how the Okposo/O'Reilly/Reinhart line played against Edmonton?

That is our identity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.