Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Lombardi built the Snarks into a top level squad & built the Kings into SC winners.

Bring in Lombardi & either Gallant or Ruff. The core of youth that Murray has brought, Lombardi will be able to work with.

Lombardi has saddled the Kings with crap talent and absurd contracts. Take away Doughty, an obvious #2 overall pick, and that's a crap team.

Lombardi has saddled the Kings with crap talent and absurd contracts. Take away Doughty, an obvious #2 overall pick, and that's a crap team.

He also saddled them w/ 2 SC winners & is only 3 years removed from the last championship. It's not like they're @ 6 years of futility & counting w/ nothing to shoe for it. & he put the Snarks foundation down.

I'll take it.

Lombardi legitimately did a hell of a job assembling those Cup teams, with timely trades that worked to put them over the top (Richards, Carter, Gaborik). But whatever mojo he had, it's been like 3 years since he's shown it. The Brown and Gaborik contracts, the Voynov fiasco, the Team USA World Cup disaster, using valuable assets to add a backup goaltender at this year's deadline and thinking the corpse of Jerome Iginla would solve their scoring woes. There's been enough bad over the past few years to make me question whether he was more lucky than good in the first place.

Lombardi legitimately did a hell of a job assembling those Cup teams, with timely trades that worked to put them over the top (Richards, Carter, Gaborik). But whatever mojo he had, it's been like 3 years since he's shown it. The Brown and Gaborik contracts, the Voynov fiasco, the Team USA World Cup disaster, using valuable assets to add a backup goaltender at this year's deadline and thinking the corpse of Jerome Iginla would solve their scoring woes. There's been enough bad over the past few years to make me question whether he was more lucky than good in the first place.

They missed the playoffs the year they were defending their last SC by 3 points & then drew Anaheim in the 1st round w/ a 102 point season last year.

This year was a debacle but I'm not holding him trying to keep the band together too long against him. As for the USA Hockey stuff, at the amateur ranks, they've got their act together; at the pro level, not so much. I put the blame for the failures of selections on more than just him. So ething is seriously wrong there.

Plus, w/ Buffalo there won't be the lure of overpaying guys for a while. The core is young & O'Reilly & Ristolainen are locked up for a long time. So that potential weakness isn't an issue.

He also ALWAYS has goaltending. So, that will become a plus w/ this team as well. If Lehner's the guy - he'll know it & if not, he'll know that as well.

Iginla actually did pretty well for the kings, its the rest of the team that just sucked all year.

totally agree..there sure ain't much there...bunch of aging vets who are overpaid. Do think though that Sutter would not be a good fit here (of course anything looks good compared to what we got now)

Per Bob

Gerard Gallant was in mix for DAL job. Now that Hitchcock hired in DAL, I'd expect Gallant as leading contender to be 1st head coach of VGK.

So many good head coaches available this offseason, and we're going to miss out on every single one of them

So many good head coaches available this offseason, and we're going to miss out on every single one of them

Gallant is a interesting pick and probably just might help the Sabres become the team we all think or like to believe they can be...I think we all agree there is better talent here then we showed and need someone to identify each players strengths (as babs does so well) and use them to those strengths and not wear out a few chosen

It's been said Rochester runs Dan's system. Nylander has looked an all star everywhere but? Yup, Rochester. 

So everywhere he plays against kids his age? 

Not trying to defend Dan but Nylander was in year 2 of NA hockey and needed muscle and to get up to speed. From what I saw of him in Buffalo, I actually think he was getting there and good play in Buffalo next season. A good player can play in any system, I think Nylander will be good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.