Which Sabre has a Breakout Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Breakout Player  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sabre Breaks out this season?

• Ristolainen
    • Eichel
    • Reinhart
    • Lehner
    • Larsson
    • Foligno
    • McCabe
    • Okposo
    • Other
    • Ennis
    • Girgensons

Ristolainen was last year's breakout star. We all thought he was good and although his analytics still aren't great, especially in the second half, he continues to develop into a real legit Norris quality D. However his 21 pt improvement was a real eye opener.

I wonder who this year's player will be? I started this topic because the first player that came to mind was Okposo after reading today's article in TBN. After all how many 28 year olds have career years? The funny thing is I think Kyle has another level. I think he is capable of scoring 30 and adding 50 assists. Granted he played with Tavares, but there is something about matching him up with an improving Eichel that makes me think he can get to that level.

Other candidates:
McCabe: 14 pts on his rookie year is a good start, but i think he has 30 pt potential
Foligno: his scoring has improved incrementally each season, why can't he break out like his brother did?
Larsson: Scored 16 pts in 39 games in 2014-5 so the potential is there.
Jack and Sam: were our 2nd and 3rd leading scorers, but how far are they from their ceiling? 30-40 pts, more?
Big Z: In the right situation, shouldn't he be able to get to 45 pts?
Ennis: we all thought he'd breakout last year but injuries stopped that. Why shouldn't a healthy Ennis recapture those expectations?
Lehner: Playing on a bum ankle Lehner had a .924 save %. How good can a lighter faster healthy Lehner be?

EDIT: I fixed the Poll and added Ennis and Girgensons since I mentioned them in this post but forgot to add them to the poll.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Why? What would you consider a even further breakout for him? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I hope this year's improvement by Risto is in our zone.

I don't think last year was his breakout honestly. I see no other player other than Reinhart or Jack who will make more significant strides, and I don't think it will be that large for either of them; unless Jack's defensive game improves a ton or Reinhart pots 35. Maybe Larsson?

Risto's breakout season was also what I voted for as the thing I'm looking forward to most this season

Edited by WildCard

I don't think last year was his breakout honestly. I see no other player other than Reinhart or Jack who will make more significant strides, and I don't think it will be that large for either of them; unless Jack's defensive game improves a ton or Reinhart pots 35. Maybe Larsson?

Risto's breakout season was also what I voted for as the thing I'm looking forward to most this season

Reinhart doesn't need 35 goals to break out. Getting up to something like a top line quality 60 points would be a breakout. 25-35-60. Anything like that. Jack's season would be considered a break out based more on his offensive output. A 70 point season would be a sweet breakout season for him. Vault him close to the top scorers in the league.

I think Risto will have a great year too. If I had to pick one, I'll go with Eichel.

I've been unhappy with the Lehner trade since it took place and I think it is time to stop. I am picking Lehner is the most likely breakout candidate. I think he got injured last year because the concussion didn't allow him to stay fit and that resulted in the ankle injury. I think after this offseason where he was able to workout and focus and get in shape, he should be much better than anything we have seen. Lehner is going to be good.

I've been unhappy with the Lehner trade since it took place and I think it is time to stop. I am picking Lehner is the most likely breakout candidate. I think he got injured last year because the concussion didn't allow him to stay fit and that resulted in the ankle injury. I think after this offseason where he was able to workout and focus and get in shape, he should be much better than anything we have seen. Lehner is going to be good.

Yes, well said.  All the news we've seen on Lehner gives me hope that he can be the breakout player.  Add that to the flashes of excellence he showed mid-season last year.  Unfortunately, I think we have to be careful and take the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach with him and his injury history.  I do really like him and I am certainly rooting for him.

I think Reinhart is the best choice in the poll.  I think we'll be happy with the 25-35-60 that Thorny posted, but man, if he can get to 65+ points like Randall said, that would be great!

Reinhart doesn't need 35 goals to break out. Getting up to something like a top line quality 60 points would be a breakout. 25-35-60. Anything like that. Jack's season would be considered a break out based more on his offensive output. A 70 point season would be a sweet breakout season for him. Vault him close to the top scorers in the league.

I think Risto will have a great year too. If I had to pick one, I'll go with Eichel.

Good point. I guess I just expect that of him, where as Risto I'm not sure of yet. But if Reinhart put those numbers up, it definitely would be a breakout campaign. I think he has a real shot at it too

I'll go with McCabe. 25 points on the season and first pair minutes by the all star break

I think GMTM thinks this as well.  It's one of the reasons he was given a 3 year contract and Pysyk was traded.  If this happens, his 1.6 mill deal for 3 years will be one of the biggest bargains in the NHL.

I still think GMTM overpaid for him, but such is life.  However. the .924 save % when overweight and on a bum ankle also gives me hope that he can become a very good No. 1.

I wonder who the "Other" was that someone voted for?  Cody Franson?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I voted Eichel. But I am looking for several players to take significant steps forward.

And after watching Ennis's interview yesterday, I am *really* hoping he returns to form. A guy with Ennis's skills and quickness, adding 15+25 to the mix, would go a LONG way toward making this team a playoff contender come March 2017.

I think GMTM thinks this as well.  It's one of the reasons he was given a 3 year contract and Pysyk was traded.  If this happens, his 1.6 mill deal for 3 years will be one of the biggest bargains in the NHL.

I still think GMTM overpaid for him, but such is life.  However. the .924 save % when overweight and on a bum ankle also gives me hope that he can become a very good No. 1.

I wonder who the "Other" was that someone voted for?  Cody Franson?

Matt Moulson of course. Guy is gonna find the fountain of youth and score 50 goals this year (just kidding I voted for Reinhart).

I voted Eichel. But I am looking for several players to take significant steps forward.

And after watching Ennis's interview yesterday, I am *really* hoping he returns to form. A guy with Ennis's skills and quickness, adding 15+25 to the mix, would go a LONG way toward making this team a playoff contender come March 2017.

Ennis (!?) actually looked kinda jacked.

Good point. I guess I just expect that of him, where as Risto I'm not sure of yet. But if Reinhart put those numbers up, it definitely would be a breakout campaign. I think he has a real shot at it too

Agreed. 

Hopefully in the end, we have multiple breakout seasons this year. It's probably likely though that at least one guy we expect to have a huge jump, won't, and that one we don't expect much from, will impress. Always tough to predict these things. 

Ennis was the guy who was expected to make the jump last year with the additions of Jack, Sam and ROR.  Obviously his injury cut that short.  However he did have 3 goals and 8 assists in 23 games.  That equates to 39 points over an 82 game schedule so he wasn't to far under his pt scoring from the last couple years.  The problem was the only 3 goals.  An 11 goal pace for a 2 time 20 goal scorer isn't adequate.

While I'd like to get him to a 60 pt season, at this point in his recovery, I just hope he gets back to being a 46 pt guy with 20 goals.  If he does that I'd give him the comeback player award and count my blessings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.