Which Sabre has a Breakout Season?

GASabresIUFAN

Breakout Player  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sabre Breaks out this season?

• Ristolainen
    • Eichel
    • Reinhart
    • Lehner
    • Larsson
    • Foligno
    • McCabe
    • Okposo
    • Other
    • Ennis
    • Girgensons

I thought it was obvious that Ristos defensive struggles were holding Moulson back last season. If Risto can improve defensively with a 5 year deal, Moulson should thrive offensively.... or continue to struggle because its a game for faster players now and he's no a very good skater.

pi, I love this post. You, the players, the contract, the tongue in cheek analysis.

I voted Reinhart. I'd not be surprised, but fall short of predicting, more points than Jack. I love the evolution.

Edited by N'eo

I wonder if Jack's injury changes a few votes?

My top 3 right now after camp and based on Jack's injury are Reinhart, McCabe and Fasching.  I think Reinhart and Fasching get the most opportunities to pick up the slack and I think McCabe is going to be this team's best all around D by season's end.

My top 3 right now after camp and based on Jack's injury are Reinhart, McCabe and Fasching.  I think Reinhart and Fasching get the most opportunities to pick up the slack and I think McCabe is going to be this team's best all around D by season's end.

Don't get me wrong, I love bold predictions, but this belief combined with your cynical view of Risto confuses the hell out of me :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love bold predictions, but this belief combined with your cynical view of Risto confuses the hell out of me :lol:

Don't be confused. I think Risto is an excellent offensive defenseman. While I believe he'll get better defensively, it won't ever be his strong suit. I don't see him as the no. 1 penalty killer or the guy you give massive D zone starts in critical situations.

On the other hand, I think McCabe grows into those defensive roles, but over the next few years he adds more offense. I see eventually him adding 30 pts of offense to his game to go with excellent defense.

My top 3 right now after camp and based on Jack's injury are Reinhart, McCabe and Fasching. I think Reinhart and Fasching get the most opportunities to pick up the slack and I think McCabe is going to be this team's best all around D by season's end.

I really like McCabe too. He turned it up offensively at the end of last season and he's the best skater they have on the blueline. If he keeps that going he could land on the top pairing in short order.

I don't think McCabe is better than Risto at skating. Is he better than Kulikov?

I disagree. McCabe is better than both, quicker, more agile, higher top end speed. He just needs to improve his decision making, which comes with experience.

Edited by pi2000

I disagree. McCabe is better than both, quicker, more agile, higher top end speed. He just needs to improve his decision making, which comes with experience.

I have not seen this.

I think Risto is better at skating than McCabe as well, but the difference isn't large. Kulikov is better than both.

Kulikov is a good skater? Nice. I'm excited to finally get a look at him.

A lot of talk about who belongs on the top D pairing.  My question is:  Do you want your best two defensemen on the first D pairing?  Maybe you put the best D on the first pairing, and the second best on the second pairing, and you make the other half of each pair a complementary player (like last year- flashy Risto and stay-at-home Gorges, although I'm not advocating Gorges as a top pairing guy going forward).

A lot of talk about who belongs on the top D pairing.  My question is:  Do you want your best two defensemen on the first D pairing?  Maybe you put the best D on the first pairing, and the second best on the second pairing, and you make the other half of each pair a complementary player (like last year- flashy Risto and stay-at-home Gorges, although I'm not advocating Gorges as a top pairing guy going forward).

Unless you have a very special case (like Anaheim w/ Pronger & Niedermayer circa 2007) or Doughty paired w/ McNabb more recently, yes you typically want your best 2 eating up 24 minutes against the other team's best. Give your 2nd pair 20 minutes & put a 4 F PP unit out there & you can give Gorges & (blank) 12-13 minutes a night.

Roll your forwards properly & you can weather the 2-3 shifts / game they get caught against the other team's top line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.