Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

Has there even been a whiff of substance abuse in any of Kane's troubles?

Fair question.

His problematic behaviours are, to me, strongly suggestive of someone who partakes of some sort of party drug. I'd been inferring it's cocaine. But I don't have any real basis for concluding as much.

I'd almost rather it be cocaine. Otherwise? He'd be trending toward functional sociopath.

Fair question.

His problematic behaviours are, to me, strongly suggestive of someone who partakes of some sort of party drug. I'd been inferring it's cocaine. But I don't have any real basis for concluding as much.

I'd almost rather it be cocaine. Otherwise? He'd be trending toward functional sociopath IF THE ACCUSATIONS MADE ABOUT HIM TURN OUT TO BE TRUE, WHICH COULD EASILY TURN OUT NOT TO BE THE CASE.

FIFY.

FIFY.

you're stretching the acceptable limits of the FIFY technique, sir.

also, i'm starting to realize the fallacy of your fondness for believing in the existence of an exculpatory truth about evander (and others). the truth in these matters is at the bottom of a bottomless well, to borrow a phrase. there almost certainly will be no truth to be found or had. 

i think a better tweak would have been striking "functional sociopath" (which seemed strong even when i typed it) with "irredeemable douche bag." 

You might be on the scent of the trail

Dreger is in.  http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/dreger-hes-become-poster-boy-terms-nhl-bad-boy-club/

"Dreger. “Look, Tim Murray and the Buffalo Sabres don’t make that mammoth deal with the Winnipeg Jets if they know that they’re getting a player who isn’t going to be able to keep his nose clean off the ice. 

Dreger is in.  http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/dreger-hes-become-poster-boy-terms-nhl-bad-boy-club/

"Dreger. “Look, Tim Murray and the Buffalo Sabres don’t make that mammoth deal with the Winnipeg Jets if they know that they’re getting a player who isn’t going to be able to keep his nose clean off the ice. [/size]

Interesting take.

Not sure Dreger really said anything compelling there. Who would trade for someone certain to get arrested and accused of sexual assault?

I guess his take is - they trade presuming he can stay clean based on extensive and exhaustive research - therefore it shouldn't be on them for what Kane is doing but on Kane alone for what he's done?  That's how I took it.

Fair question.

I'd almost rather it be cocaine. Otherwise? He'd be trending toward functional sociopath.

I brought this up back in Jan when he was suspended for missing practice....  He seems to be hanging out with the wrong type of characters.

I like that he hasn't posted to instagram or twitter for almost 3 months now.   Maybe he's finally figuring it out, we can only hope.  

I brought this up back in Jan when he was suspended for missing practice....  He seems to be hanging out with the wrong type of characters.

I like that he hasn't posted to instagram or twitter for almost 3 months now.   Maybe he's finally figuring it out, we can only hope.  

ain't even gonna front: i think pi's deductions were part of what got me thinking that evander lived a life that was periodically enhanced by a controlled substance.

it's pure speculation, of course. and it's not even necessarily important to how i view the guy (which is negatively). 

ain't even gonna front: i think pi's deductions were part of what got me thinking that evander lived a life that was periodically enhanced by a controlled substance.

it's pure speculation, of course. and it's not even necessarily important to how i view the guy (which is negatively). 

I don't care if he goes out and has fun, hangs out with whoever.    What he does need to do is keep that part of his life private and not post it all over social media, where he's hanging out and with who, etc...    I'm sure there are very successful athletes who enjoy those same things he does without letting it derail their careers. 

That said, if he is in fact using coke or some other party drugs, that needs to stop.   I know a bunch of guys like him who say and do all the right things when sover, but when high on coke they turn into completely different people... , if you will.   See, cocaine gives you a tremendous feeling of confidence, that you own the world and everything is at your fingertips.    You see a girl you find attractive and you have no inhibition to go chat her up.. only some guys take it too far and become aggressive... could that explain Evander's aggressive approach to women?    I find it hard to believe he's just like that by nature, and that's who he is.    He doesn't have enough of a history of those types of issues to suggest it's a personality trait.     

Who is he and why is he the wrong type of guy?

Didn't he miss practice because he went to the All-Star game with his sister?

He doesn't need nose candy to act like a complete entitled manslut when he goes out. Most of these guys have had women throw themselves at them since they were in their early teens. Puck bunnies, team mates mothers, you name it they've had it. They don't often hear the word ' no ' in regards to a certain segment of society and you add professional paid athlete to the resume and it kicks into another gear with the whole its all about security set. Cocaine doesn't make these guys any more confident with women than they already are.

Edited by bunomatic

The part of things that throws me though is that, as far as I know, and I assume others, up until joining the Sabres, Kane was never arrested or charged with a crime right?

There were his social media posts, the stories of his clashing with teammates, but legally he was clean?

So, you'd not know the guy would be on this path.  I'm sure they have access to more inside information than people outside of NHL circles, so I have faith that the risk wasn't THAT great.  Still.. I think it's safe to say that if you knew he would be charged with these crimes you probably wouldn't trade for the guy.  That seems that obvious.  "Hey, we know you'll get arrested and charged with some crimes that involve violence against women but we really want you on this team."  I don't see that thought/phrase ever existing.

Didn't he miss practice because he went to the All-Star game with his sister?

IIRC, this esilver guy supplied the tickets and who knows what else (as per Kane's instagram at the time).      I was looking through Kanes instagram history yesterday and it turns out Kane (or his PR advisor) deleted all the pics he had with this esilver character.   If you look through esilvers instagram you can still find some pics with Kane.... they were tight.

Who is he and why is he the wrong type of guy?

I know a few guys like him (trust fund kids, do the same stuff and dress the same) and they're all coke users, it's part of the lifestyle down here in southern California.  I'm not saying he's a bad kid, but if in fact Kane has a problem with cocaine and it's what's making him aggressive with women, then he should be more careful about who he chooses to hang out with.    

I'll be honest, when I first moved down here to southern california I started hanging out with guys like this because they were genuinely nice, fun and partied and whatnot.   But it wasn't a lifestyle I could sustain with a family and kids and a job, so I choose to separate myself from that scene and it was the right choice.    

That said, when you consider Kane has no prior history of being abusive to women, getting thrown out of bars, etc... I'd like to think he's just hanging out with the wrong crowd and that it's not simply a personality trait that he can't overcome.  

He doesn't need nose candy to act like a complete entitled manslut when he goes out. Most of these guys have had women throw themselves at them since they were in their early teens. Puck bunnies, team mates mothers, you name it they've had it. They don't often hear the word ' no ' in regards to a certain segment of society and you add professional paid athlete to the resume and it kicks into another gear with the whole its all about security set. Cocaine doesn't make these guys any more confident with women than they already are.

I agree, in general pro atheles don't need the confidence boost cocaine provides, but I've seen it turn some (not all) guys irrationally aggressive, especially in situations where women are not interested to the point of getting tossed out of places, damaging property, etc.   These are not you typical drunk , these are genuinely nice guys whose personality takes a complete 180 when high on coke... it's bizarre because you have hard time picturing the guy acting the way he does, but it happens.     

IIRC, this esilver guy supplied the tickets and who knows what else (as per Kane's instagram at the time).      I was looking through Kanes instagram history yesterday and it turns out Kane (or his PR advisor) deleted all the pics he had with this esilver character.   If you look through esilvers instagram you can still find some pics with Kane.... they were tight.

I know a few guys like him (trust fund kids, do the same stuff and dress the same) and they're all coke users, it's part of the lifestyle down here in southern California.  I'm not saying he's a bad kid, but if in fact Kane has a problem with cocaine and it's what's making him aggressive with women, then he should be more careful about who he chooses to hang out with.    

I'll be honest, when I first moved down here to southern california I started hanging out with guys like this because they were genuinely nice, fun and partied and whatnot.   But it wasn't a lifestyle I could sustain with a family and kids and a job, so I choose to separate myself from that scene and it was the right choice.    

That said, when you consider Kane has no prior history of being abusive to women, getting thrown out of bars, etc... I'd like to think he's just hanging out with the wrong crowd and that it's not simply a personality trait that he can't overcome.  

I agree, in general pro atheles don't need the confidence boost cocaine provides, but I've seen it turn some (not all) guys irrationally aggressive, especially in situations where women are not interested to the point of getting tossed out of places, damaging property, etc.   These are not you typical drunk ######, these are genuinely nice guys whose personality takes a complete 180 when high on coke... it's bizarre because you have hard time picturing the guy acting the way he does, but it happens.     

I'll take your word for it, I just remember him on social media being all excited to see his sister because he doesn't get the chance very often. 

I just think it's a little unfair to prematurely label Kane a coke addict and woman beater with little to no evidence. 

I'll take your word for it, I just remember him on social media being all excited to see his sister because he doesn't get the chance very often. 

I just think it's a little unfair to prematurely label Kane a coke addict and woman beater with little to no evidence. 

Right, there's only circumstantial evidence at best.   I do secretly hope that his problem is the occasional coke binge when hanging out with certain folks as I wouldn't consider semi-casual cocaine use to be addictive in the same sense as opiates (heroin) or smoking the rock version of cocaine (crack).    If he's a habitual coke user (multiple 8-balls/wk), then that's another story and would likely need rehab.

Edited by pi2000

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.