Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

I've read it four times and can't make sense of it. Maybe it'd make sense if you heard it in context. It's fairly non-grammatical. Maybe he needs some future pluperfect tense in there or something.

I think it's just: they wouldn't have traded for him had they somehow known these issues would crop up, but that they did their seemingly due diligence at time of trade. He also makes it clear that the Sabres can and will get rid of him if necessary, but that they are still currently of the view that they'll give him every chance to turn it around. They haven't given up on him yet.

The part of things that throws me though is that, as far as I know, and I assume others, up until joining the Sabres, Kane was never arrested or charged with a crime right?

There were his social media posts, the stories of his clashing with teammates, but legally he was clean?

So, you'd not know the guy would be on this path. I'm sure they have access to more inside information than people outside of NHL circles, so I have faith that the risk wasn't THAT great. Still.. I think it's safe to say that if you knew he would be charged with these crimes you probably wouldn't trade for the guy. That seems that obvious. "Hey, we know you'll get arrested and charged with some crimes that involve violence against women but we really want you on this team." I don't see that thought/phrase ever existing.

Pretty much this. Edited by Thorny

I have no hard evidence about E Kane and any hard drugs. For me, it's a theory that makes sense based on available information and my own personal inferences. That's all. It's not intended, by me, to be asserted as factual in any way shape or form. In a word, it is total speculation. A theory.

Has anybody here dabbled in these drugs?

I tried cocaine once.  I was a little older, not much, than you are now.  It was a tiny amount.  Maybe about an eighth of the size of my pinky fingernail.

I had two simultaneous reactions.  The whole thing was over in like, fifteen minutes, but in those fifteen:

(1)  Holy ######, this is awesome.  The world--it's so clear to me now!

(2)  Eleven, you're never doing this again.  It's just too good.

I have forgotten (1) and I have stuck by (2) and will continue to do so.

Edited by Eleven

I have no hard evidence about E Kane and any hard drugs. For me, it's a theory that makes sense based on available information and my own personal inferences. That's all. It's not intended, by me, to be asserted as factual in any way shape or form. In a word, it is total speculation. A theory.

10-4

Kane has counterclaimed for defamation in the Kuechle lawsuit.  

EDIT:  If anyone wants to teach me how to upload a pdf again, I'll post both the complaint and the answer with counterclaims, even though both are pretty bare-bones.  The site I access is restricted.

Edited by Eleven

Kane has counterclaimed for defamation in the Kuechle lawsuit.  

EDIT:  If anyone wants to teach me how to upload a pdf again, I'll post both the complaint and the answer with counterclaims, even though both are pretty bare-bones.  The site I access is restricted.

That's the claim about the alleged incident in the hotel, right?  Not the late night in the bar?

If so, the counterclaim is consistent with the "shakedown by a skank" potential version of events.

Interesting.

That's the claim about the alleged incident in the hotel, right? Not the late night in the bar?

If so, the counterclaim is consistent with the "shakedown by a skank" potential version of events.

Interesting.

Yes, I know. We need to keep Evander's scrapes straight.

This is the incident arising from a meeting at Encore, an invitation to a party, wait, there is no party, hey babe you're the party, let's do what we came here to do.

And the counterclaims are consistent with, indicative of nothing other than a predictably aggressive showing by Kane's lawyers. If he vigorously denies the allegations, why not countersue for defamation?

Yes, I know. We need to keep Evander's scrapes straight.

This is the incident arising from a meeting at Encore, an invitation to a party, wait, there is no party, hey babe you're the party, let's do what we came here to do.

And the counterclaims are consistent with, indicative of nothing other than a predictably aggressive showing by Kane's lawyers. If he vigorously denies the allegations, why not countersue for defamation?

On the other hand, it's rare that we see athletes do this in his situation.

He's backed into a corner, that's for sure, and really does need to clear his name. The plaintiff now has downside. Also seems like normal conduct by Kane's civil defense counsel (whose still waters run deep, and aggressive).

Eleven, was there any mention of an NDA in the pleadings?

As in:  "Hey, baby, you look hot.  Do  you wanna come to a party in my hotel room?  Cool.  Just sign this confidentiality agreement and then we're off to my pleasure palace?"

Have you heard that there was such an agreement?

^

There's been talk - somewhere - about how some athlete(s) (Evander?) has/uses these documents. Sorry I can't be more specific. I just remember making a joke a while back about Chappelle's love contract sketch.

Also, fwiw, isn't this out of Bill Cosby's playbook?

He's backed into a corner, that's for sure, and really does need to clear his name. The plaintiff now has downside. Also seems like normal conduct by Kane's civil defense counsel (whose still waters run deep, and aggressive).

On the other hand, the same lawyer representing a different Kane did not employ this tactic.

Eleven, was there any mention of an NDA in the pleadings?

Nope.  And all of the alleged defamatory statements are in the complaint--i.e., not to news outlets--which might be a problem.

As in:  "Hey, baby, you look hot.  Do  you wanna come to a party in my hotel room?  Cool.  Just sign this confidentiality agreement and then we're off to my pleasure palace?"

Have you heard that there was such an agreement?

This was standard operating procedure for Derek Jeter.

I'm shocked some posters are purely speculating but stating it in their posts as a fact that Kane does coke.

Completely mind boggling that you would stoop that low.

Let's stick to facts and opinions and clearly state as much in posts.

I'm not even a Kane fan, but to read these posts makes me disgusted.

On the other hand, the same lawyer representing a different Kane did not employ this tactic.

Was there a civil lawsuit in the Pat Kane matter? I don't recall one. Also, I wasn't referring to Cambria - I was talking about the guy who signed that answer and counterclaim.

Nope.  And all of the alleged defamatory statements are in the complaint--i.e., not to news outlets--which might be a problem.

Quite right - so, the defamation claim is essentially a variation on the theme of the lawsuit being frivolous and brought in bad faith - because otherwise the allegations in a pleading would enjoy some form of immunity.

I'm shocked some posters are purely speculating but stating it in their posts as a fact that Kane does coke.

Completely mind boggling that you would stoop that low.

Let's stick to facts and opinions and clearly state as much in posts.

I'm not even a Kane fan, but to read these posts makes me disgusted.

An informed hypothesis or even speculation are forms of opinion, though.

This is a message board. Rumours are part of what we deal in.

It's funny, I got a text from a buddy in Florida who simply said "kane a coke head, get this f**ker off the team"

Harmless fun, defaming people.

Ugh

I won't be defaming Kane because I can't and won't state anything along those lines as being factual in nature. I have no real idea what goes on in his private life.

I have some guesses. Some inferences. Some theories. 

I like to kick those around on a message board.

Nope, and well, same law firm anyway.

Which is what I think differentiates this situation. Pat Kane never had a need to assert a defamation counterclaim in a civil lawsuit, and certainly had no interest in pursuing that claim on an independent basis once the whole thing went away. Not so for Evander. He's been sued. He says it's all a lie. Why not counterclaim?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.