Sabres backup goalie situation (Chad Johnson to Calgary)

Hoss

Aren't the Sabres required to expose a goalie to the expansion draft? If they picked up Bishop and didn't extend him wouldn't that require them to expose Lehner by default? I think they should sign whatever backup they can bring in to a 2 year deal.

Teams are required to expose a goalie that is either under contract through 2017-18 or is a non-exempt RFA. They do not currently have one.

If you're bringing in Bishop he is your starter long term. I doubt Buffalo is the team to make that move.

All I can think is that Murray didn't want to give him a bump which would surprise me but it surprises me even more that he signs a one year deal. I read that to mean he wanted to be in western Canada closer to home.

Wish him well, the best and success. He was a good dude here and was my preference for him to stay here.  

Thinking this is Zatkoff

MURRAY: "I thought I had a goalie done, I had a verbal agreement and it was reneged upon."

MURRAY: "It was not Chad Johnson who reneged upon our agreement."

MURRAY: "It has never happened to me, I called the GM he signed with to tell him my story, he had a similar story." On Goalie reneging.

Edited by Hoss

Keeping my Enroth bias out of this, unless Jhonas doesn't want to come back I can't see any possible reason why he wouldn't be serious consideration for Murray. It's not like it would be a long term commitment, it's not like it would cost over $2mil/yr. He's definitely more qualified than Zatkoff is, certainly more than Montoya. With all the injuries the Sabres have had over the last couple of years with goaltenders, and having to move way down the depth charts to find somebody to play, this has the potential to have serious consequences on the upcoming season. 

Keeping my Enroth bias out of this, unless Jhonas doesn't want to come back I can't see any possible reason why he wouldn't be serious consideration for Murray. It's not like it would be a long term commitment, it's not like it would cost over $2mil/yr. He's definitely more qualified than Zatkoff is, certainly more than Montoya. With all the injuries the Sabres have had over the last couple of years with goaltenders, and having to move way down the depth charts to find somebody to play, this has the potential to have serious consequences on the upcoming season. 

You and I rarely agree.  We agree on this.  That means it's the right move.  

Just to throw a different name out there...what about Niemi? I know I know, stay with me here. Dallas was in talks to try to get Bishop, and given Tampa's situation, it makes a ton of sense to deal Bishop. However, Dallas simply needs to dump Lehtonen or Niemi, but Tampa can't really afford either one. This is where we come in. What if we're willing to take Niemi off Dallas' hands with say 40% salary retained, so it'd be 2 years at $2.7M per. But the point isn't to target Niemi specifically (Enroth is at least as good at this point in their respective careers), it's to pick up an extra asset while doing so for doing them a favor. Even if it's just a 3rd round pick, that's another asset to use around deadline time to add to the team if we're in a playoff spot. Just a thought.

Just to throw a different name out there...what about Niemi? I know I know, stay with me here. Dallas was in talks to try to get Bishop, and given Tampa's situation, it makes a ton of sense to deal Bishop. However, Dallas simply needs to dump Lehtonen or Niemi, but Tampa can't really afford either one. This is where we come in. What if we're willing to take Niemi off Dallas' hands with say 40% salary retained, so it'd be 2 years at $2.7M per. But the point isn't to target Niemi specifically (Enroth is at least as good at this point in their respective careers), it's to pick up an extra asset while doing so for doing them a favor. Even if it's just a 3rd round pick, that's another asset to use around deadline time to add to the team if we're in a playoff spot. Just a thought.

Bryzgalov said he wanted to come back. ssc_hidingsofa2.gif?w=1200&h=

This makes absolute zero sense to me unless they're giving up an asset back with him. Niemi is not someone I trust, and has really regressed each of the past two seasons.  I'd rather make a play for someone else. 

What if Lehner goes down again with yet another injury for an extended period? how many times will he endure long-term injury before packing it in?

I think you still need a #1 goalie.

Edited by Marvelo

This makes absolute zero sense to me unless they're giving up an asset back with him. Niemi is not someone I trust, and has really regressed each of the past two seasons. I'd rather make a play for someone else.

Well yea, that was my entire point. Get a serviceable back and pick up an extra asset at the same time.

Thinking this is Zatkoff

WGR 550 @WGR550

MURRAY: "I thought I had a goalie done, I had a verbal agreement and it was reneged upon."

WGR 550 @WGR550

MURRAY: "It was not Chad Johnson who reneged upon our agreement."

WGR 550 @WGR550

MURRAY: "It has never happened to me, I called the GM he signed with to tell him my story, he had a similar story." On Goalie reneging.

You would think GMTM would know better by now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.