Sabres backup goalie situation (Chad Johnson to Calgary)

Hoss

Know what better? The guy said he was coming to Buffalo. Most players don't do what Zatkiff did.

Sounds eerily similar to the Babcock situation, although we have even less details of that affair. If GMTM thinks he's been duped, he doesn't need to tell people about it. Doesn't reflect well on him.

Traded for Nilson from Blues, anyone know his story?

Edit: found this in article regarding his previous trade:

"The 25-year-old Nilsson, who was assigned to AHL Chicago after the trade was completed, will be a restricted free agent July 1. He has started 24 games for the Oilers this season, compiling a 10-12-2 record with a 3.14 goals-against average and a .901 save percentage."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14857384/st-louis-blues-acquire-goalie-anders-nilsson-trade-edmonton-oilers

Edited by Lanny

Anyone truly satisfied with Lehner as the starter?  Murray may love him but what exactly has he shown?  Rebuild all you want but it really starts in the goal.  A trade may definitely be in the offing.

I'm happy with Lehner as the starter. That's not to say I think he's a sure thing long term, but I have confidence that he can get the job down if he stays healthy.

I'm very happy with Lehner as our guy. I have consistently said I think he is our starter for the next ten years. I still feel that.

Sounds eerily similar to the Babcock situation, although we have even less details of that affair. If GMTM thinks he's been duped, he doesn't need to tell people about it. Doesn't reflect well on him.

He was asked a question and answered without naming the guy. But he brilliantly put enough crumbs out for everyone to figure out who it was. He's pissed and was asked a question. I think it reflects perfectly on him. One of the reasons I love GMTM. No . Zatkoff is who you should say it doesn't reflect well on. And I say good job for GMTM making bones about it. Don't with us is what his message was I think. I'm cool with that.

ZFG

Anyone truly satisfied with Lehner as the starter?  Murray may love him but what exactly has he shown?  Rebuild all you want but it really starts in the goal.  A trade may definitely be in the offing.

Don't know yet.

Traded for Nilson from Blues, anyone know his story?

Edit: found this in article regarding his previous trade:

"The 25-year-old Nilsson, who was assigned to AHL Chicago after the trade was completed, will be a restricted free agent July 1. He has started 24 games for the Oilers this season, compiling a 10-12-2 record with a 3.14 goals-against average and a .901 save percentage."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14857384/st-louis-blues-acquire-goalie-anders-nilsson-trade-edmonton-oilers

He went almost .500 with Edmonton; that's not horrible.

Lindback???

I know he played well for us in a short stretch, but he's horrible. He's a career .906 SV% guy. That's replacement level.

Anders Nilsson's career save % is 0.900.  It's honestly astonishing how terrible our current back-up is based on his career so far.

I still don't get the Nilsson trade, Enroth is the better goalie here and probably had no issues coming back to buffalo.

GMTM likes big goalies, and there are some questions with the new equipment size.    But I also read a couple of months ago big goalies might have issues

with low shots now because of the equipment change.

Hope I'm wrong, but if Lehner doesn't pan out, we will have to call up Ullmark and hope he does.    Because I don't have any faith in Nilsson being any good as a starter or back up even.

He should have just contacted Enroth and be done with it.

Considering Ullmark would be counted on to carry the load should Lehner go down, all we are requiring of Nilsson is the ability to spell Lehner occasionally, in adequate fashion. Hopefully he is up to the task.

We are going to need a nice year from Lehner.

Considering Ullmark would be counted on to carry the load should Lehner go down, all we are requiring of Nilsson is the ability to spell Lehner occasionally, in adequate fashion. Hopefully he is up to the task.

We are going to need a nice year from Lehner.

That's the problem I have. I don't want to have to rely on either of them if/when Lehner goes down. This team has made a substantial jump into playoff contention, I hate to see it wasted because Murray doesn't like short goalies only likes huge goalies. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

That's the problem I have. I don't want to have to rely on either of them if/when Lehner goes down. This team has made a substantial jump into playoff contention, I hate to see it wasted because Murray doesn't like short goalies only likes huge goalies.

Gotta rely on someone, though. Lehner is a talented goalie and we'll see what he has to offer this season. This year is his chance to prove himself.

I suspect if he's bad, or has another injury riddled year, Murray would make a move for a new guy. Perhaps even in season.

Gotta rely on someone, though. Lehner is a talented goalie and we'll see what he has to offer this season. This year is his chance to prove himself.

I suspect if he's bad, or has another injury riddled year, Murray would make a move for a new guy. Perhaps even in season.

Oh I have no doubt Lehner can do it. I like Lehner a lot, I hope he's the guy moving forward. If he gets hurt we have to rely on a solid backup to carry the team. I'm just not comfortable with (a) a player who couldn't even win in the AHL last year and (b) a guy who finished dead last in the NHL in save percentage. 

I hope you're right about making a move, and it better be in-season. If Murray likes his big Swedes, I'm sure he could have picked up Markstrom for cheap. He spent a lot of time in the offseason with coaches to work out his problems and it showed last year. I've really like what Murray has done so far, but this ordeal really has me shaking my head. 

Oh I have no doubt Lehner can do it. I like Lehner a lot, I hope he's the guy moving forward. If he gets hurt we have to rely on a solid backup to carry the team. I'm just not comfortable with (a) a player who couldn't even win in the AHL last year and (b) a guy who finished dead last in the NHL in save percentage. 

I hope you're right about making a move, and it better be in-season. If Murray likes his big Swedes, I'm sure he could have picked up Markstrom for cheap. He spent a lot of time in the offseason with coaches to work out his problems and it showed last year. I've really like what Murray has done so far, but this ordeal really has me shaking my head.

If Lehner faulted again this year whether by injury or play, it would be unacceptable in my mind to not improve the goalie situation for next season.

I am reasonably confident in Lehner though, and this season is his big shot.

If Lehner faulted again this year whether by injury or play, it would be unacceptable in my mind to not improve the goalie situation for next season.

I am reasonably confident in Lehner though, and this season is his big shot.

I still need be sold on Lehner. I don't like a goalie that can't control himself. Don't get me wrong I like him being aggressive but he takes it too far and let's it creep into his head. No one performs at their best in that state.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.