Sabres Prospects 2016-17

Hoss

Guhle scores. 2-1 Amerks lead.

For the record, unless we land a top 2 D (Shattenkirk or one of the Ducks), I think Guhle makes the roster out of training camp.

But a question: Are you all OK with Guhle spending the first half of 2017-18 in Rochester so as not to rush him? Perhaps even as far as the trade deadline?

For the record, unless we land a top 2 D (Shattenkirk or one of the Ducks), I think Guhle makes the roster out of training camp.

But a question: Are you all OK with Guhle spending the first half of 2017-18 in Rochester so as not to rush him? Perhaps even as far as the trade deadline?

I'm fine with any prospect spending as much time as he needs in development

We agree on something?

Scary.

Don't be scared. It's a sign of personal growth.

I think that is why GMTM is going after Antipin. He is looking for D depth and doesn't want to throw Guhle into the NHL to quickly. He was patient with McCabe and hopefully with Guhle also.

I'm fine with any prospect spending as much time as he needs in development

I think that is why GMTM is going after Antipin. He is looking for D depth and doesn't want to throw Guhle into the NHL to quickly. He was patient with McCabe and hopefully with Guhle also.

Agreed. It's up to GMTM to find someone worthy of keeping him down.

It's like when Fedun was in the lineup for Gorges... we look better with a puck-moving D-man. But Fedun won't supplant a vet. Guhle could, though.

Is Antipin valid any longer since the Olympic choice? He could be a Russia top-6...  and could bail on the NHL next season if he suddenly goes from possible top-6 to guaranteed top-4 because the NHLers are prohibited?

Don't be scared. It's a sign of personal growth.

True. Just wasn't expecting to see you growing so soon, young padawan.

Petersen is a lot more hyped by Sabre fans than by the scouting community.

That will change if he goes to UFA mind you, because Vesey.

What? No way. Can't remember the source but someone made an Olympic roster not using NHL guys and he was the USA projected starter. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Very few are sure fire prospects, especially goalies.  I have been encouraged by Lehner's season, however he is still relatively unproven and has a history of concussions.  Ullmark has also shown some flashes but is also unproven.  Having another guy with potential in the system would be very beneficial.

I remember when the Sabres thought they were all set in goal having Mika Nornen, Biron and Miller in the system.  Nornen and Biron were both picked in the first round, while Miller was a 5th rounder.  I remember the organization being much higher on the former two then the later.  My point is, yes this is not like losing Vesey, but I'm very hopeful he stays in the Sabres system.  You can never have too many promising goaltending prospects.

Miller last goalie to win HobeyBaker just saying Peterson could hold Millers jock.

Hagel goes from 13-34-47 in 72 gp in the WHL his draft year (6th round), to 31-40-71 in 65 gp this year.

Say what you want about his defensemen, and his head coach, but Tim Murray can find talent.

I hate to burst your bubble, tons of guys make similar leaps in Jrs and never ever make it out of the AHL. Cornel jumped from 52 pts to 83 in his last jr season and put up a wopping 14 pts last season for the Amerks. The best thing about guys like Estephan and Hagel, is that if you have enough later round picks who make leaps in growth, eventually you find a gem or two. Sadly, guys drafted after midway through the 3rd round have about a 11-18% chance of ever playing 100 games in the NHL. Of that small percentage less then 25% are ever more then a 4th line/ 3rd pairing players. Those are long odds.

Maybe GMTM should be a good scout and draft guru rather then a crappy GM.

Can't recall seeing him on any top 50 or top 100 list.

I'd say the naming of Petersen to the US World Champion Team is a strong confirmation of his being a top prospect.  He was also named as a finalist for college's version of the Vezina (Mike Richter award) for the top goalie in college hockey.

Hagel goes from 13-34-47 in 72 gp in the WHL his draft year (6th round), to 31-40-71 in 65 gp this year.

Say what you want about his defensemen, and his head coach, but Tim Murray can find talent.

Pretty sure that's never been in question. The key is, can he figure out which of these low floor/ high ceiling prospects really have high floors & can he covert the rest of those low floor / high ceiling prospects into high floor / reasonable ceiling young players?

I'd say the naming of Petersen to the US World Champion Team is a strong confirmation of his being a top prospect. He was also named as a finalist for college's version of the Vezina (Mike Richter award) for the top goalie in college hockey.

I watched Peterson first hand when ND played BU a month or so ago. He was alright. Started very strong but then let in 4 goals and lost the game. He made some excellent stops but I'm still skeptical that he's our future #1. I hope I'm wrong. Goalie's are a different breed. I think it's very difficult to predict if they will develop into NHL caliber that's why so many are taken in the later rounds. We need to unearth a gem, someone who can steal a game.

What are the chances Asplund plays on this side of the pond in '17-18? I'd like him in Rochester with Alex growing into the NA game.

Edited by Beer

I watched Peterson first hand when ND played BU a month or so ago. He was alright. Started very strong but then let in 4 goals and lost the game. He made some excellent stops but I'm still skeptical that he's our future #1. I hope I'm wrong. Goalie's are a different breed. I think it's very difficult to predict if they will develop into NHL caliber that's why so many are taken in the later rounds. We need to unearth a gem, someone who can steal a game.

What are the chances Asplund plays on this side of the pond in '17-18? I'd like him in Rochester with Alex growing into the NA game.

Someone posted earlier in this thread that he doesn't plan to come over next season.

London Knights eliminated by the Erie Otters in seven games in Round One.

Cliff Pu had 2G+5A=7P, with 27 SOG and a -3 in the seven-game series.

He also finished the season with 35G+51A=86P, 186SOG and +25 in 63 games during the regular season.  Is that good?

London Knights eliminated by the Erie Otters in seven games in Round One.

Cliff Pu had 2G+5A=7P, with 27 SOG and a -3 in the seven-game series.

He also finished the season with 35G+51A=86P, 186SOG and +25 in 63 games during the regular season.  Is that good?

It isn't bad. He was severely limited in ice time and opportunity in his draft year because of the depth of his team. He stepped up and basically produced at mid first round numbers, granted he is almost a year older then most draft eligible guys this year. Short answer, it is a good step forward and so yes, it is good.

It isn't bad. He was severely limited in ice time and opportunity in his draft year because of the depth of his team. He stepped up and basically produced at mid first round numbers, granted he is almost a year older then most draft eligible guys this year. Short answer, it is a good step forward and so yes, it is good.

Are we thinking Amerks for Pu next year, then?  What are the options?

his skating is elite level and he is a smart hockey player. Will be a big part of the Sabres when they can roll 4 lines.

I hate to burst your bubble, tons of guys make similar leaps in Jrs and never ever make it out of the AHL. Cornel jumped from 52 pts to 83 in his last jr season and put up a wopping 14 pts last season for the Amerks. The best thing about guys like Estephan and Hagel, is that if you have enough later round picks who make leaps in growth, eventually you find a gem or two. Sadly, guys drafted after midway through the 3rd round have about a 11-18% chance of ever playing 100 games in the NHL. Of that small percentage less then 25% are ever more then a 4th line/ 3rd pairing players. Those are long odds.

Maybe GMTM should be a good scout and draft guru rather then a crappy GM.

I would say you should expect improvement in Cornel this coming season. Look at the first season in the AHL for Baptiste and Carrier - not much better. Give the kid a chance.

I'll never agree that Murray was a bad GM. What really did he ever give away?? best anyone will come up with is Pysyk and to me thats really not that much.

he overpaid Moulson and brought in a bad contract with Bogo but took out the Myers contract at the same time. I have a feeling that he had an agreement in place for Vegas to take Moulson or Bogo. But i digress 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.