• 4th Round or Higher
    • 3rd Rounder
    • Late 2nd
    • Mid 2nd
    • Early 2nd
    • Late 1st (22+)
    • 1st (15-21)
    • 1st (9-14)

If you had to trade Ennis for a draft pick straight up, where is it going to be?

Do not take into account who the trade partner would be, whether they have cap space/need etc.

I thought he'd be a regular 30 goal scorer by now, I suppose I still hold out hope that he will be.

Edited by Buffaslug

Paul Hamilton this morning on WGR said the Sabres would be lucky to get a 6th for him with the concussion concerns. I think he's underestimating it (I'm pretty sure that Hamilton has no idea of value of players anymore), but I also don't see anyway you get a first for him straight up.

Yeh but dont think a draft pick gets there.

True, because obviously depending on players available, perception of buffalo's scouting department etc it could get dicey even on draft value, but being able to see his value converted into a straightforward numerical opinion from each member will show me how many are around my opinion, or if my opinion is way off base and may need to be re-evaluated.

I don't trad Ennis unless some (stupid) team offers his pre-injury worth.

Let him rebuild his value first - which I think is a late first.

To answer the question at hand, I'd gamble a third on him if I was another GM, but not a second.

I don't think Murray is as enamored with size and physicality as the narrative says. 

I believe it's more about having size and two way play more so than pure physicality.  If you look at Kane, Bailey, Fasching, Eichel, Vesey all skate well for their size.  

Concussion only clouds his value, but doesn't yet diminish it for me before he's fully evaluated in games.  Before the concussion, Ennis finished top five in Sabres scoring every year he played (mostly top three), including an injury-shortened season.  At full strength, he's a guaranteed top-six guy on any team, and that straight up pick-for-veteran-player value is a first-half-of-first-round pick, 9-14.

The obvious question is: does the concussion cloud diminish actual trade value, and if so, how much.  It's a question of risk vs reward for the GM who's trading the pick for Ennis.  It'd be easier for a GM to manage risk in a two-for-two package trade instead of a straight up one-for-one.

But unless Ennis has become somehow secretly devalued by Bylsma, the medical staff, or the presence of upcoming young forwards on the roster, I don't think it makes sense to trade one-for-one.  Nobody knows his value and risking what he's worth healthy -an earlier first round pick- would be a large gamble by an opposing GM.

Poll results so far are pretty intriguing, much less concise than I had pictured.

I personally am hoping to keep him, go for a rebound year and see if he could be the thorn-in-the-side 30 goal scorer that takes advantage of the fact that the opposition is focused on Jack, Ryan, Sam Etc.

Oh yeah and we have that Kane guy too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.