Cam Fowler Trade Speculation Thread

LGR4GM

I believe she never actually said that ;)

How much is Fowler right now? Kane is what? $5M?

Fowler is 4. You would have to take a cap dump and retain 50% of Kane's salary to even start this. Further Kane is injured and most GM's won't trade for an injured player

Anaheim is at the cap (well $300k under, but still), so figure they have to clear the entirety of Lindolm's eventual salary from the cap. Kane for Fowler adds $1M, and even if we retain 50%, it still leaves the Ducks needing to free up $3.5-4M depending on what Lindolm signs for. We don't have the cap space to take a contract dump, either. It simply isn't workable even if the Ducks were interested.

On second thought, Foligno's salary is 2.5m, so that trade only saves the Ducks 1.5m... they probably only want picks/prospects at this point... but who knows.... i'm not sure freeing up 1.5m gets Lindholm paid.    

Also, I think the only reason we ended up with Kulikov was because the Fowler deal fell through on day 1 at the draft.    It could be that GMTM doesn't want Fowler at this point, but ANA is pushing him... if that's the case, advantage Sabres, let's give them a couple picks and nothing more.

Just so we're clear:  everyone saying "let's trade Bailey/Foligno/Zemgus/Fasching/picks for Fowler" is really saying "let's not trade for Fowler."

Other than Reinhart or Jack, that's all we can really give Anaheim that they can afford

Exactly. They want a young player and a pick. Do you think they think they can get McDavid from the Oilers or something?

This is kinda why I thought the trade was done a while go, the Ducks wanted too much. Well now their backs are against the wall, no one has paid big money for him yet. Better to get something than have Lindholm sit out a year.

Other than Reinhart or Jack, that's all we can really give Anaheim that they can afford

Exactly. They want a young player and a pick. Do you think they think they can get McDavid from the Oilers or something?

This is kinda why I thought the trade was done a while go, the Ducks wanted too much. Well now their backs are against the wall, no one has paid big money for him yet. Better to get something than have Lindholm sit out a year.

We can give them Nylander.

Again:  I'm not saying I want to do so, but we shouldn't pretend that this isn't an option -- I assume Anaheim isn't either.

We can give them Nylander.

Again:  I'm not saying I want to do so, but we shouldn't pretend that this isn't an option -- I assume Anaheim isn't either.

If Anaheim wanted Nylander, and Murray was willing to deal him...would you venture a guess as to why such a deal wasn't consummated at the draft? If Murray wasn't willing to deal then, I can't imagine he would now when Anaheim's leverage has gone down.

If Anaheim wanted Nylander, and Murray was willing to deal him...would you venture a guess as to why such a deal wasn't consummated at the draft? If Murray wasn't willing to deal then, I can't imagine he would now when Anaheim's leverage has gone down.

Well, the fact that it didn't happen at the draft doesn't mean that GMTM isn't now willing to do so -- i.e. Anaheim at that point might've wanted a player who could help them right away, but now might be willing to take a high-end prospect like Nylander.

Having said that, I am kinda skeptical that GMTM would trade Nylander for Fowler, but I wouldn't be shocked if it happens -- remember that GMTM has mentioned a number of times that he thinks it's strange that NHL #1 picks don't get traded after being drafted like they do in the NBA.

You're right nfreeman, Anaheim probably demands Nylander at least, if not Reinhart. Looking at Ennis and Kane, I'm nowhere near close enough to giving up Nylander.

We've finally hit the Buffalo dream, our wings are absolutely pathetic

Edited by WildCard

Are wings are not great but Okposo, Kane, Reinhart are all solid wingers. Nylander is a top 6 winger in another year maybe 2. That means you need 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, other to be a top 6 winger just to be safe. I would be hesitant though to unload Nylander as out of all the players I just listed other than Reinhart, he has the highest ceiling. He has a higher offensive ceiling than Reinhart as well. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Are wings are not great but Okposo, Kane, Reinhart are all solid wingers. Nylander is a top 6 winger in another year maybe 2. That means you need 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, other to be a top 6 winger just to be safe. I would be hesitant though to unload Nylander as out of all the players I just listed other than Reinhart, he has the highest ceiling. He has a higher offensive ceiling than Reinhart as well. 

....you're forgetting about somebody.   hint:  rhymes with Molson.

You're right nfreeman, Anaheim probably demands Nylander at least, if not Reinhart. Looking at Ennis and Kane, I'm nowhere near close enough to giving up Nylander.

We've finally hit the Buffalo dream, our wings are absolutely pathetic

If Anaheim makes anything beyond a passing glance at Reinhart for Fowler they're overrating Fowler severely. He's good. He's off to a great start this year, too. But he's not nearly worth Reinhart.

Nylander is another story, but I don't want to go there either. If they say Nylander and nothing else then I walk away.

Kulikov's play has been inspiring in the two games so far. Hopefully that keeps up and turns into an awesome partner for Risto. I'm very confident that McCabe is a second-pairing defenseman right now.

Edited by Hoss

Hasn't the operational window for this trade closed with the start of the season?  Next window would be trade deadline?

No. You can make trades whenever you want. Hell, you can make trades after the deadline if you want (those players just can't play in the playoffs).

Early-season trades aren't uncommon.

Hasn't the operational window for this trade closed with the start of the season?  Next window would be trade deadline?

No. You can make trades whenever you want. Hell, you can make trades after the deadline if you want (those players just can't play in the playoffs).

Early-season trades aren't uncommon.

Yes, Vanek / Moulson deal was right around this time of year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.