Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I already see posts that illustrate the fable about the fox and the grapes. Since the fox can't get the grapes, he just says they must be sour and he doesn't want them. Sour grapes!

When will the Sabres fans wake up and recognize that GM Tim Murray made a bad decision giving up a 3rd round pick to Nashville for the rights to Vesey.

Two pertinent facts to keep in mind:

1.) Vesey said all along that he was going to wait until he was a free agent on August 15 to decide his future. If the Sabres wanted to make a pitch to him they could get their chance on Aug. 15. There was no need to waste a draft pick!

2.) Vesey has proved that he doesn't care if you waste a draft pick on him. He feels no loyalty to anyone as he clearly demonstrated to Nashville. Given his track record with Nashville, why would any team think they he would behave differently if they acquired his rights? There is no logical reason to believe he would change his mind.

If Buffalo thought they could sweet talk him into a deal in June, why wouldn't they believe they could sweet talk him in August? It was a strategic and tactical error by Tim Murray.

For all the admiration and adulation Murray has received by many fans and media, he hasn't proved he is terribly good at being a GM.

IMO, he has received less in every trade he has made than he has received back. His only real success has been overpaying in money and assets (players and draft picks) to pick up some decent players.

Murray has depleted much of the stockpile of assets he inherited from Darcy Regier. He needed no expertise in the acquisition of Reinhart and Eichel.

Now is the time for Murray to show if he is a worthy GM. I think he blew the Vesey deal, but I'm sure he will (and already has) downplay it as just a gamble worth taking. It wasn't smart.

I already see posts that illustrate the fable about the fox and the grapes. Since the fox can't get the grapes, he just says they must be sour and he doesn't want them. Sour grapes!

When will the Sabres fans wake up and recognize that GM Tim Murray made a bad decision giving up a 3rd round pick to Nashville for the rights to Vesey.

1.) Vesey said all along that he was going to wait until he was a free agent on August 15 to decide his future. If the Sabres wanted to make a pitch to him they could get their chance on Aug. 15. There was no need to waste a draft pick!

2.) Vesey has proved that he doesn't care if you waste a draft pick on him. He feels no loyalty to anyone as he clearly demonstrated to Nashville. Given his track record with Nashville, why would any team think they he would behave differently if they acquired his rights? There is no logical reason to believe he would change his mind.

If Buffalo thought they could sweet talk him into a deal in June, why wouldn't they believe they could sweet talk him in August? It was a strategic and tactical error by Tim Murray.

For all the admiration and adulation Murray has received by many fans and media, he hasn't proved he is terribly good at being a GM.

IMO, he has received less in every trade he has made than he has received back. His only real success has been overpaying in money and assets (players and draft picks) to pick up some decent players.

Murray has depleted much of the stockpile of assets he inherited from Darcy Regier. He needed no expertise in the acquisition of Reinhart and Eichel.

Now is the time for Murray to show if he is a worthy GM. I think he blew the Vesey deal, but I'm sure he will (and already has) downplay it as just a gamble worth taking. It wasn't smart.

Very nice post.

What would have been smart?  "Hi Nashville, it's Buffalo.  We'll give you a 2017 seventh for the right to talk to Jimmah.  If he signs with us, it becomes a third."

There is a lot I disagree with here but let's focus on the O'Reilly trade. Please elaborate on the "less" here.

Free popcorn at games and while reading contentious SabreSpace threads.

I laughed ....

Vesey signs with Chicago and does presser ...

"Well, I was very close to signing with Buffalo until this "Pi" guy, or someone, sent me a link to some obscure web blog ....".

I heard Vesey wants his own locker room built closer to the ice so he doesn't have to share with the non Harvard folk and also so he doesn't have to walk as far. Also heard he wants the building to be named "Jimmy Vesey's Ice Palace" and for the entire top floor of the Harbour Center to be redone for his private condo. Also heard Vesey wants Buffalo Wings to be renamed Vesey Wings and served with ranch. Also heard lake Erie will be named Lake Vesey. Also heard he wants Delaware Ave to be renamed Jimmy Vesey way. Also heard he wants UB to be called Vesey's College for Poor People who can't afford Harvard. Also heard Vesey expects all women or men he chooses to fall at his feet and make love to him. Also heard Vesey expects the Buffalo Bills to name him head coach and grand emperor. If any of these demands are not met, Jimmy Vesey will sign with another team like Boston.

You're generally very creative. This is some of your best work.

I disagree with 95% of this post. 

Probably asking them for more guarantees of playing time, locker room stall location, number, access to free flights for family members, etc...

On the one hand, this crusade has been tiresome for quite some time. On the other hand, you have to get some credit for sheer, dogged, never-quit on this.

On the one hand, this crusade has been tiresome for quite some time. On the other hand, you have to get some credit for sheer, dogged, never-quit on this.

It's been fun.

I disagree with 95% of this post. 

I can disagree with the third-to-last paragraph, but what else?

Who's to say he would have been given us a second thought or an interview if we didn't acquire his rights?

shut up that goes against the narratives around this thread. HE LIKES RANCH ON HIS WINGS!!! I heard it from a guy, who heard from his buddy, who read it on the blog of a guy, who has a friend in Boston, who's roommate works as a bartender, where a waitress says she thinks she saw Vesey eating wings at this wing place across the street and using blue cheese. 

It's been fun.

I can disagree with the third-to-last paragraph, but what else?

What else do I disagree with?

You found 5% you liked?

I liked the fox and grapes part. 

2.) Vesey has proved that he doesn't care if you waste a draft pick on him. He feels no loyalty to anyone as he clearly demonstrated to Nashville. Given his track record with Nashville, why would any team think they he would behave differently if they acquired his rights? There is no logical reason to believe he would change his mind.For all the admiration and adulation Murray has received by many fans and media, he hasn't proved he is terribly good at being a GM

Ha. I don't think he made a bad decision at all. It was a gamble. A very small price to pay for that gamble. Knowing he was a friend of Jack made it a very good deal to make in an attempt to sign him.

We are starting to see the rewards of all that he inherited from Darcy. Darcy would still be in last place and sitting on all those assets and wondering what to do with them. Darcy? No ROR and probably no Jack either. Thanks but Darcy is working where he belongs.

You think that gambling a third rounder in exchange for a chance at improving the team more than a third round pick would is blowing a deal? Where do you think Vesey would be picked if he was entering the draft this year? 

Very nice post.

What would have been smart?  "Hi Nashville, it's Buffalo.  We'll give you a 2017 seventh for the right to talk to Jimmah.  If he signs with us, it becomes a third."

Really? Very nice post? That was the worst post I've read on the matter and GMTM separately. Well outside of anything pi posts. Very nice post???? Are you friends?

If DR were still GM, ROR and Eichel and Okposo would all not be Sabres.

Hard to say Eichel wouldn't be a Sabre. DR was all in on the HARD suck. No way ROR or Okposo would be in town, but there's a reasonable chance Matthews or Laine would also be a Sabre along w/ Eichel & Reinhart.

No idea who the goalie would be, probably still Enroth.

Fully expect this upcoming Sabres' squad would look an awful lot like this year's Loafs minus the top tier coach.

Suffering indeed.

And not a chance in the world Vesey would even consider joining the tire fire that would be the Sabres.

Hard to say Eichel wouldn't be a Sabre. DR was all in on the HARD suck. No way ROR or Okposo would be in town, but there's a reasonable chance Matthews or Laine would also be a Sabre along w/ Eichel & Reinhart.

No idea who the goalie would be, probably still Enroth.

Fully expect this upcoming Sabres' squad would look an awful lot like this year's Loafs minus the top tier coach.

Suffering indeed.

And not a chance in the world Vesey would even consider joining the tire fire that would be the Sabres.

In 2015 the Buffalo Sabres won the tank by 2 points or 1 win. DR does not execute the Kane trade which helped the tank, he probably doesn't send Reinhart back to juniors which help finish the tank. I have no doubt in my mind that DR would not have stomached or been able to successfully tank in 2015. As for the Laine/Matthews idea, I for 1 am rather glad the Sabres were not major contenders for the top 2 picks in this years draft because it means progress. I agree that Vesey would never have set foot in Buffalo if DR were still here because DR would still be to afraid to do anything but maintain the status quo and win every single trade he ever contemplated. 

Vesey rep says Jack Eichel has been and is a "significant factor" in #Sabres remaining a contender in the process. @WGRZ

I personally believe that Vesey wanted to hit UFA to play for Boston but with Jack in Buffalo and other teams sniffing, he isn't sure anymore. 

Vesey rep says Jack Eichel has been and is a "significant factor" in #Sabres remaining a contender in the process. @WGRZ

This can be great or not..... Either Jack is the sole reason we are a contender still, and that means we didn't meet many of his demands,or murray rubbed him the wrong way or etc...

Or jack is seen as such a star that he is luring bait towards us. Which is awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.