Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

What sickens me is the idea that Vesey is putting off his decision just to get more passes from Eichel in summer beer league.     

He is the entitled one after all. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Vesey just demanded that Eichel pass to him and only him. I feel bad for the other guy on their line. I hear Vesey demands his lunch money each and every day, even on days where they don't even play. Kids has to take a bus across town to deliver it on a silver platter that's engraved with NHL top 6 player from minute 1 on it. I also heard he makes everyone call him Mr. All Star as well. Small price to pay to play with a proven, awesome, bonafide stud like Vesey though. Other linemate should count his blessings to be in the presence of such grandeur. Eichel is lucky to have such a great player to pass to.

Why do I have this feeling he's not gonna sign here. But hey at least Murray gave it his best shot. No matter what Murray says about Buffalo as being a place where talented players want to come. I don't buy it unless crazy money is thrown their way. I still think the majority of this team needs to be built thru the draft and they should have a huge scouting department if that's what it takes.

Why do I have this feeling he's not gonna sign here. But hey at least Murray gave it his best shot. No matter what Murray says about Buffalo as being a place where talented players want to come. I don't buy it unless crazy money is thrown their way. I still think the majority of this team needs to be built thru the draft and they should have a huge scouting department if that's what it takes.

If he's reading this thread, he won't!

You know, it could conceivably be Jack that advised Vesey to delay signing.  Jack went non-stop through the summer, into training camp and into the season.  He may have told him to sign as late as possible because once you sign, it'll be GO GO GO.  Enjoy the familiar summer beer league because once you sign, your ass belongs to the team and the season is a LONG grind.

Murray no doubt agrees that your best strength is in your scouting dept. However, we got arguable the # 1 FA for a deal that not one person I have seen refer to as crazy money in Okposo's deal.

You know, it could conceivably be Jack that advised Vesey to delay signing.  Jack went non-stop through the summer, into training camp and into the season.  He may have told him to sign as late as possible because once you sign, it'll be GO GO GO.  Enjoy the familiar summer beer league because once you sign, your ass belongs to the team and the season is a LONG grind.

This strikes me as very realistic. Jack was exhausted by the time Christmas break rolled around last season. 

GO SABRES!!!

You know, it could conceivably be Jack that advised Vesey to delay signing. Jack went non-stop through the summer, into training camp and into the season. He may have told him to sign as late as possible because once you sign, it'll be GO GO GO. Enjoy the familiar summer beer league because once you sign, your ass belongs to the team and the season is a LONG grind.

This is my favorite. I choose to believe it as absolutely true.

Yep, because nobody has a similar checklist when they are looking at their job options.

How is this like Christmas morning?

He's not opening presents, he is considering multiple job offers.

UFA is not a privilege, it is a collectively bargained right.

Maybe it's my naive, idealistic side coming out, but these things roil my stomach: playing in the NHL=job; owning NHL team=running a business. Vesey should have gone to the team that drafted him. Period.

He should've signed with NSH. He flat out lied to them about his intentions. They're a contender, why didnt he sign with a winning successful franchise about to go on a long playoff run with a good chance at winning a Cup? It sounds like he cares very little about winning and very much so about personal financial gain. I wouldn't want that attitude permeating throughout my locker room.

This sums up the nagging doubt I have about Vesey's character.

Maybe it's my naive, idealistic side coming out, but these things roil my stomach: playing in the NHL=job; owning NHL team=running a business. Vesey should have gone to the team that drafted him. Period.

This sums up the nagging doubt I have about Vesey's character.

See, you're saying two different things there. Its a business and a job, not a betrothal. If a company offers me a job and I back out at the last minute for another offer they can be pissed about it and never offer me a job again, but its still my right to do so. 

See, you're saying two different things there. Its a business and a job, not a betrothal. If a company offers me a job and I back out at the last minute for another offer they can be pissed about it and never offer me a job again, but its still my right to do so. 

Yes, and anyone who found out would rightly question your business ethics unless you had a good reason.

How about "the other company offered me a better career opportunity or was in a location that I preferred"? That's what we're talking about here.

Well, let's take those two separately.

1.  Depending on whom you snub, you might want to make sure that you're with the "other company" for a LONG time, because people in an industry talk to each other, and it's pretty easy to get blackballed in a smaller city.  I have seen it happen, for that very reason.

2.  Depends, I suppose; are we talking about different cities (understandable, and you're probably safe there anyway) or a difference in commuting time?

Yes, and anyone who found out would rightly question your business ethics unless you had a good reason.

Meh.  I see people turn down job offers all the time.  I see people back out of jobs after they accept them.  I see companies withdraw offers that have already been accepted.  That's the way business works.  That's why they call it dog-eat-dog.

I think the dude is going to sign with Boston. He's from there, it's his favorite team. If he wasn't hell bent on being a Bruin, imo he would have already signed with either the Preds or the Sabres. It's not about $$$ or winning with him, it's about putting his favorite teams sweater on.

Well, let's take those two separately.

1.  Depending on whom you snub, you might want to make sure that you're with the "other company" for a LONG time, because people in an industry talk to each other, and it's pretty easy to get blackballed in a smaller city.  I have seen it happen, for that very reason.

2.  Depends, I suppose; are we talking about different cities (understandable, and you're probably safe there anyway) or a difference in commuting time?

I think he's talking specifically about Vesey's situation. 

Meh.  I see people turn down job offers all the time.  I see people back out of jobs after they accept them.  I see companies withdraw offers that have already been accepted.  That's the way business works.  That's why they call it dog-eat-dog.

Sure, I've seen all of that too--and I've seen people badmouthed for it, and, in at least one instance, I saw a firm refuse to consider a guy because they learned that he had done that.  That's all I'm saying.

The thing that bugs me the most is how Vesey is apparently giving no consideration of how children are perceiving all of this.

For shame, Jimmy.

Won't somebody PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

I know, eh?

Because of him, my children have now also decided not to take the first job offered them.

I've now forbidden them from watching hockey in case they get inspired to take a well-paying eight-month internship in their field in Europe instead taking first-year university courses at home in a field they have no interest in pursuing.

Not only am I anticipating August 16 to see if Vesey signs, I'm also looking forward to it just because it'll be nice for this all to be over with and in the rear-view. The discussion in this thread has definitely been fun, but GMTM is right when he said this has been overplayed.

What sickens me is the idea that Vesey is putting off his decision just to get more passes from Eichel in summer beer league.

It is truly sickening. I called in sick to work today because I couldn't stop puking, just from thinking about Vesey cashing in those sweet feeds.

I'd venture to say it is.

Vesey had a bargained-for right to do what he did. There are some who believe he was dishonest in how he proceeded, but he acted based on rights he has.

Given how much money the owners and the leagues manage to pump out of these ventures, I am officially over (and have been for a while) any expectation that athletes conduct themselves according to a code of conduct to which I would not hold myself or others in my field.

Most of this I can agree with. The Preds are a good organization and they obviously thought Vesey was coming.

Could be poor communication, could be lying, although what did Vesey have to gain by lying to them?

Maybe Vesey wasn't clear with his intentions, because he wasn't clear in his own head.

Maybe the Preds heard what they wanted to hear.

Maybe something got lost in the translation from Vesey to agent to scout to Poile.

wanted to say earlier that i thought this was tremendous. i'd bet dollars to donuts that what's stated here is substantially true and accurate.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Vesey wearing a Bruins hat at 31 Flavors last night.

(Another potential top-6 forward on an entry-level contract? Yes, please.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.