Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Nice touch.

And I'm equally sure he cares not at all about thoughtful gestures.

Eh. Bar food that is probably at least 2 hours old? Does not strike me as selling point. If the meeting was in Buffalo it would make more sense to me, but maybe the Sabres' QC staff was on their game.

Eh. Bar food that is probably at least 2 hours old? Does not strike me as selling point. If the meeting was in Buffalo it would make more sense to me, but maybe the Sabres' QC staff was on their game.

I didn't suggest it would be a selling point. A thoughtful gesture. An ice breaker. 

(Did it even happen? I feel like I can't take anything here at face value anymore.)

I would love me some Vesey but,

How much will we hate him if or when he signs in Tor or Boston?

will it be on the Lucci (spelling?) running over Miller level?

ps how fun to type Miller again!

Or worse, how much will we hate him if he signs here an fizzles out? Do we really even know if he is worth a 30 page thread?

Even if he peaks at 20/20 he is a worthy addition and his bust factor is low.  If we can add 2 20 goal guys wo giving up precious assets (a 3rd is not precious in my book) we officially move out of rebuild mode.  Tweaks, yes, but we have taken a major step toward contention.  The length of the thread is less about his ability and more about people being indignant about him using his unique situation to his advantage.  Toe Blake Eddie Shore, old time hockey.

Or worse, how much will we hate him if he signs here an fizzles out? Do we really even know if he is worth a 30 page thread?

It's only 30 pages due to the length of time we have to wait for a decision and the slow down of free agency...

Is the Buffalo food thing true? Eichel is a very mature 19 year old, for what it's worth

I don't doubt Jack's maturity, I just don't think a Harvard grad who is 23 needs to be coddled by a 19yr old. The narrative is old and while the OP might have been sarcastic, it's just stale at this point.

If he's only a 3rd line guy, I won't hate him at all. That's a 3rd rounder well spent.

So welcome mat or pitch forks and torches?

Time to lay it out. I'm sold. After comments from Eichel and Vesey, and from what appears to be a very productive meeting, I really think he's signing w/ Buffalo now. Vesey wants numbers? Chemistry can help that. And most certainly a greater chance of having a high amount of ice time in Buffalo can lead to the numbers he has in mind. Let's face it. Vesey knows Eichel very well. On and off the ice. Eichel doesn't want to serve as a tool in this, but he indirectly is. They're getting play together this summer, and each are loving the chemistry they have. Just don't see Vesey passing on something he knows to be true. Other teams will say this, that and the other, but there will always be a sense of doubt in their words. Vesey is signing w/ Buffalo. 

Edited by GoPre

Time to lay it out. I'm sold. After comments from Eichel and Vesey, and from what appears to be a very productive meeting, I really think he's signing w/ Buffalo now. Vesey wants numbers? Chemistry can help that. And most certainly a greater chance of having a high amount of ice time in Buffalo can lead to the numbers he has in mind. Let's face it. Vesey knows Eichel very well. On and off the ice. Eichel doesn't want to serve as a tool in this, but he indirectly is. They're getting play together this summer, and each are loving the chemistry they have. Just don't see Vesey passing on something he knows to be true. Other teams will say this, that and the other, but there will always be a sense of doubt in their words. Vesey is signing w/ Buffalo. 

I'm leaning this way, as well. I think that he will ultimately sign with the Sabres but it depends on how much the allure of playing in his hometown sways him. The Pens may be a wildcard here but I really think that it's down to the Sabres or Boston.

I would love me some Vesey but,

How much will we hate him if or when he signs in Tor or Boston?

will it be on the Lucci (spelling?) running over Miller level?

ps how fun to type Miller again!

I'd hate him as much as anyone who interviews for a job and decides to go in another direction. Or someone you ask out and they decline. That is to say, not much other than being somewhat disappointed.

Nicely said.  Adding to the bolded: Eichel's comments and stance are wholesomely true. Eichel knows very well that there's a ton of pressure on Vesey.  Eichel knows that him adding any public pressure is not going to help.  Eichel is satisfied with having a passive role in helping his friend Jimmy, but knows that playing an active role is not necessary, helpful, or, well, friend-ly.

In my opinion, though, one thing about Jimmy Vesey having meeting(s) with Buffalo now is that he gets to mull over everything the Sabres have, for 5+ weeks before getting his other chances in free agency.  He may go to sleep one night over those 5 weeks thinking "yeah, Buffalo certainly would be great", and wake up the next morning saying, "you know what, let's just do this".

I guess what it boils down to is that, it is indeed worth the 3rd-round pick to be able to get Jimmy thinking Buffalo for an extra several weeks.  We don't really know all the details about what anyone's thinking, just like we don't know the details about how negotiations/wooing/etc. worked between the 'bres and Okposo, or Falk or any other UFA or RFA for that matter.

So I am in the camp of: Let's just chill and let it play out.

An interesting idea discussed on GR this morning:

Why not let him have a few conversations with other teams now, and come back to the Sabres with his thoughts?

Can't hurt and might result in certainty--either way--more quickly.

Edited by Eleven

Why not let him have a few conversations with other teams now, and come back to the Sabres with his thoughts?

They stole my idea. :P

So trade for his rights to let other teams talk to him, that's foolish impo. We own his rights, keep taking to him solo as long as you can. Let playing with Eichel sink into his Harvard brain as long as possible.

I think opening a window for him to talk to other teams helps him save face and make a decision with a clear conscience.  He can talk but can't sign with other teams for a week.  If he does not sign with us after the week, we know he got a better deal or situation from someone else.  There is no real downside because the money is the same.  It comes down to fit as perceivedby Vesey.  

So trade for his rights to let other teams talk to him, that's foolish impo. We own his rights, keep taking to him solo as long as you can. Let playing with Eichel sink into his Harvard brain as long as possible.

But if he really wants to feel like he exercised his rights (ufa) he needs comparables.  Letting him talk but not sign essentially allows him to do that.

You don't trade a pick to let the guy talk to other ppl. We aren't in a rush and neither is he. When Jack leaves to come to Buffalo and Vesey is sitting back in Boston waiting for the 15th it might help him decide.

There is no rush to sign him. You don't let him talk to anyone until August.

You traded the pick to be first.  We did that.  Now he has our pitch to use as the measuring stick.  Ultimately it comes down in my humble opinion, as to whether Pgh, Chicago TB or a legitimate cup contender can offer him the same opportunity.  PGH and Chi can and so can the SOCal teams if he wants to go there.  Let them talk.  While I agree there is no rush, inking him early gives TM new found currency to deal with, perhaps for more d or gt help.

You don't trade a pick to let the guy talk to other ppl. We aren't in a rush and neither is he. When Jack leaves to come to Buffalo and Vesey is sitting back in Boston waiting for the 15th it might help him decide.

I'm in full agreement with this. He cost an asset for exclusivity. Lets use what we paid for. We can do multiple meetings bringing him to town several times. If Aug 15th comes and he goes somewhere else so be it. It won't be due to a lack of effort on our part. Jesus send him down to Boca for a weekend and let the girls show him around there also. Welcome him to the family. You can do these types of things with our exclusivity that no one else can and certainly wont have time to after Aug 15th.

Should we have to do any of this for this guy? HELL NO but it's our exclusive time to do what we want and that will include things no one else can so do it.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/08/vesey-agent-sabres-meeting-went-well/

“The meeting went very well, I'd have to say,” Vesey’s agent, Peter Fish, said Friday in an email to The Buffalo News. “However, until we sit down with Jimmy and fully digest everything we heard yesterday, I can't really comment on how it might affect Aug. 15th.”

Keep pulling back more and more. Save that face. We've got time.

Also, Murray as loquacious as ever:

Said Murray: “We went down there, we talked to him about the city and the organization, then we came home.”

Edited by sabills

agreed

I'm in full agreement with this. He cost an asset for exclusivity. Lets use what we paid for. We can do multiple meetings bringing him to town several times. If Aug 15th comes and he goes somewhere else so be it. It won't be due to a lack of effort on our part. Jesus send him down to Boca for a weekend and let the girls show him around there also. Welcome him to the family. You can do these types of things with our exclusivity that no one else can and certainly wont have time to after Aug 15th.

Should we have to do any of this for this guy? HELL NO but it's our exclusive time to do what we want and that will include things no one else can so do it.

The more I think about this and hate it because I want immediate gratification, the more I think your right... Sabres cant afford to blink, at least give him until sat August, 5 before you allow him to talk to others for a week, then bring him back in for a final push couple days before deadline...

They stole my idea. :P

This was actually discussed on the morning show yesterday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.