Gord Downie has terminal brain cancer

darksabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Gord passed last night. Statement from his family:

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming - his response was to spend this precious time as he always had - making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Edited by sabills

I said it before, but I was late to the Tragically Hip party. They stayed on my musical peripheral for a long time, as friends would talk them up, but they never caught with me. It only took about 15 minutes of seeing Gord on stage a few years ago for it all to make sense. I feel like I'm losing a friend I was just getting to know. 

Rest in Peace, Gord.

The Hip were huge where I grew up. Started listening in ‘88. Traveled from show to show when I was younger. Had a few opportunities to hang out with Gord and Rob at a couple Horde fests. Even burned one with them after a show. Can’t tell you how much the music and the man influenced my life. God bless his family. RIP man.

F cancer!!

My heart goes out to his family.

At times like these I can't help but think of the countless 'regular' (not famous and, therefore, not in the news) families dealing with the same thing.

Stats show us that 1 in 2 Canadians will be stricken with cancer.  Something is going on I say.  We are slowly being poisoned.

F cancer!!

My heart goes out to his family.

At times like these I can't help but think of the countless 'regular' (not famous and, therefore, not in the news) families dealing with the same thing.

Stats show us that 1 in 2 Canadians will be stricken with cancer.  Something is going on I say.  We are slowly being poisoned.

I agree NS. So many friends and family are either fighting it, just getting over it or have already passed on. 

I've had a pretty visceral reaction to the bump music in the TO/Detriot game tonight. It is hitting me way harder than I would have imagined.

I admit that I only know the Hip from that final concert that was webcast a bit ago, even though I knew friends that knew and saw them often. Yet, every song I've heard tonight, I feel like I I've heard before and know. Maybe I do from Buffalo osmosis.

A bright light has been dimmed and it's a bummer.

I never got the Tragically Hip.  I mean, yeah, they have a decent sound, but so do so many other bands.  Now with everyone talking about Gord's passing, I decided to play a Tragically Hip playlist on Youtube.

Wow.  Just wow.  I get it.  Too late, but I get it.

I never got the Tragically Hip.  I mean, yeah, they have a decent sound, but so do so many other bands.  Now with everyone talking about Gord's passing, I decided to play a Tragically Hip playlist on Youtube.

Wow.  Just wow.  I get it.  Too late, but I get it.

Gord doesn’t think you’re too late I’m sure.

“You’re imagination just had puppies”

This little silver boulder, this slowly falling star...

Best Canadian wordsmith of my generation.

And so hockey; hell he used "glue guy" in a lyric.

Both the NHL and the NHLPA issued statements honouring him today.

Edited by dudacek

This little silver boulder, this slowly falling star...

Best Canadian wordsmith of my generation.

And so hockey; hell he used "glue guy" in a lyric.

Both the NHL and the NHLPA issued statements honouring him today.

Fack, the fact he didn't end every other sentence w/ "eh" puts him there. :p

On a more serious note. He will be definitely be missed.

First heard them down on the Gulf Coast. New Orleans is Sinking got a lot of radio play down there when it came out. Imagine my surprise when I heard that & a lot of other great tunes coming back home for a visit. Had no idea they were Canadian after hearing that 1st hit; should've.

RIP Gord. Best wishes to his family.

Not a big Hip fan, but I do really like this song a lot ...

I spent many summers in my late teens / early 20's in the Kawartha Lake cottage country.  Beautiful.

So, I know Bobcaygeon very well.

Also, two esteemed and long-standing Sabrespace veteran posters reside there.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.